Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you love your job tell me all about it....

• 08-06-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm at a crossroads in life.

I'm currently unemployed and in reality have very little chance of getting a job in the the industry I'm in. So I have to re-train but I have no idea in what direction I want to go. Have had a look at a few college courses but there is nothing 'grabbing' me. I don't want to make the same mistake as when asI left school.

Basically I'm looking for inspiration here. I'm so jealous of people who love their job. I mean we spend so much time in our lives there it should be something we enjoy doing right?

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I get paid to ly on my back and spread em... I love it therefore I lie my job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I enjoy teaching but I'd have to have a frank discussion with someone about the positives and negatives before I recommended it. It's not for everyone and isn't a good career option now.

Thinking of all the people I know Engineering seems to be the area most liked and most varied in terms of what jobs you can get out of it. It seems to afford chances to travel, and a lot of jobs are available in the electronic engineering sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ms.M wrote: »
    I enjoy teaching but I'd have to have a frank discussion with someone about the positives and negatives before I recommended it. It's not for everyone and isn't a good career option now.

Is that a recognized skilled trade (not sure what the exact term is) for the likes of Australia and Canada?

Could a teacher go for a permanent job there or would they have to retrain again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

gobab wrote: »
    I'm at a crossroads in life.

I'm currently unemployed and in reality have very little chance of getting a job in the the industry I'm in. So I have to re-train but I have no idea in what direction I want to go. Have had a look at a few college courses but there is nothing 'grabbing' me. I don't want to make the same mistake as when asI left school.

Basically I'm looking for inspiration here. I'm so jealous of people who love their job. I mean we spend so much time in our lives there it should be something we enjoy doing right?

Thanks a million.
    What do you think you'd really love to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

tip: People love their jobs because they picked something they like. They way you're going about it wont get you anywhere.

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Is that a recognized skilled trade (not sure what the exact term is) for the likes of Australia and Canada?

Could a teacher go for a permanent job there or would they have to retrain again?

Yep.
    As long as you have done four years in college. If you do a three year primary teaching degree you might have difficulty being recognised as fully-qualified in some countries, you might be confined to sub teaching until you do a top-up qualification.
    For most Irish teachers it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 borzaboy

I'm a civil servant and absolutely love my job!
    I work 142 days a year and I go on 2 foreign holidays annually. change the car every year!
    It's great coz I'm home at 3.30 every day, except friday when we get a half day...

borzaboy wrote: »
    I work 142 days a year and I go on 2 foreign holidays annually. change the car every year!
    It's great coz I'm home at 3.30 every day, except friday when we get a half day...

You lil sh&t- stirrer you! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

borzaboy wrote: »

Only relevant if the car is a BMW, so please clarify ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm a controls engineer in the UK. I spend most of my days programming high tech machines, running projects to buy more high tech machines, and going to Germany on business trips to visit the manufacturers of high tech machines. We're invited to Oktoberfest this year as corporate guests (no doubt to get us so drunk that we'll sign a multi-million pound contract with them!).

Yeah, I love my job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I'm a controls engineer in the UK. I spend most of my days programming high tech machines, running projects to buy more high tech machines, and going to Germany on business trips to visit the manufacturers of high tech machines. We're invited to Oktoberfest this year as corporate guests (no doubt to get us so drunk that we'll sign a multi-million pound contract with them!).

Yeah, I love my job!

Oktoberfest seems to be popular corporate gig for German Companies. Me, I just went there to get buckled.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 borzaboy

Only relevant if the car is a BMW, so please clarify ;)
    BMW 530d:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Don't like my job particularly. I'm going to change direction when my contract expires next year some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I like my job, but I haven't started it yet, might change my mind on Monday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

i love my job,and jobs before that.Meet so many people from all walks off life.Have a sound boss too which helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Dutch company in Ireland, it's not Rabobank

Beer in the canteen fridge

Often do work late so no bother to have a longneck or three at my desk. Or if there is a night out or on Fridays have a few bottles before I leave
    The fridge is there, all the main brands and anyone is free to grab some bottles.

Love it!
    Why don't Irish companies do this?

Drink driving laws?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

MagicSean wrote: »
    Drink driving laws?

Yeah but you're leaving the company premises to do that

Tis an office, nobody is asked to drive anywhere

If you drink drive that's your fault, nothing to do with HR

Actually I might take this over to Legal forum and ask them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Do you like the outdoors? If so, study horticulture. Its a very diverse area with loads of different employment opportunities, most of which will leave you with a smile on your face all day. You get to work with flowers and trees and spend your days somewhere beautiful, with really (mostly) lovely people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

i love my job - im a nerd and i gets paid for doin nerd stuff :D

if it wasnt me job id be doin this stuff anyways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Trash Ninja

gobab wrote: »
    Basically I'm looking for inspiration here. I'm so jealous of people who love their job.

You're asking the wrong question. You shouldn't be looking for what other people love doing and seeing if you fit into that. You need to look to yourself and discover what you love doing. Find your passion.

Once you do that. Work will fall out of that, although it won't feel like work!

But only you can decide this, only you have the answer. Trust yourself, have confidence in yourself and you'll find your way. You can do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

I started put as civil engineer didn't like it er...no hated it
    Work as the head chef of a hotel now love it
    As long as you don't mind working nights( 10/11) and weekends
    Yea tough going at times but won't do anything else but it is a job you have to have passion for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I like my job but there are so many negitives to Hotel Managment that i wouldn't recommend it to anyone. One big possitive is you can find employment anywhere and even now there are job vacanies everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

Senna wrote: »
    I like my job but there are so many negitives to Hotel Managment that i wouldn't recommend it to anyone. One big possitive is you can find employment anywhere and even now there are job vacanies everywhere.
    One of the biggest draw backs ..... Dealing with chefs lol

I love my job cos i deal with people all over Europe, Asia and USA. I get to decide the future strategy. If I want to start at 10am, I can! I do have the odd conference call every week at 10pm but that the price to pay. I work from home most days so no commute and big savings on fuel.
    I would not move jobs even if I was offered more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

A job is a job.
    A chore for most people.
    A means to an end...
    If you get a good job and one
    that you thoroughly enjoy,
    you're lucky.IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'm a software developer.

It's not for everyone but if you liked lego and aren't afraid of mathematics, it might be for you. The work itself is quite enjoyable, at least for me anyway.

The conditions and pay are good and the employment prospects are probably better than those of any other sector in the Irish economy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gobab

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Do you like the outdoors? If so, study horticulture. Its a very diverse area with loads of different employment opportunities, most of which will leave you with a smile on your face all day. You get to work with flowers and trees and spend your days somewhere beautiful, with really (mostly) lovely people.
    thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I read all the posts and took everything that was said on board. This post particularly caught my attention. Do you work in horticulture yourself andy pandy. Would love to hear more about it. I did have a business idea a few years back but didn't have the right qualifications. I'm going to re-visit this idea now and see if it will be a viable option for me for the the future. Thanks a mill. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I love my job. I'm retired.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Right now I'm a part-time (as in 1 hour a week) parish organist. It's brilliant! I love keyboard instruments, and having access to an electric organ* on a regular basis is pretty fun.

It's not for everyone but if you liked lego and aren't afraid of mathematics, it might be for you. The work itself is quite enjoyable, at least for me anyway.

The conditions and pay are good and the employment prospects are probably better than those of any other sector in the Irish economy at the moment.

This is my aim :P

*Hurr hurr that's what she said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Been a children's entertainer now for five years and absolutely love it - you never know what's coming next.

No two shows are ever the same and you meet all levels of society - everybody loves a party! :)

In the beginning you'd regularly get eaten alive but now I can pretty much control any number of kids.

Best job I ever had was a Change Management Consultant - turning companies around, making peoples' lives better, earning serious amounts of money. Happy days!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Also, check out the Careers and Job Discussion forum - various posters have started threads there talking about their jobs and why they like them. You may find it interesting reading :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

+1, I really enjoy this work, it isn't for everyone but I think there's something quite challenging and satisfying about putting together technical solutions to real world problems.

Advertisement