Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birmingham Need a few pointers :D

• 08-06-2012 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hello there ,

Hope someone can answer my questions or at least a couple :)

Well we're going to gig in the Lg Arena on a Friday staying till Sunday and was wondering are we better staying near there or staying in the city centre as we want to head out after :D

Was looking at the Premier Inns and they have a good few located around city but don't have a clue which one to book.

Googled nightlife there and Broadsteet and Bradley seem to be most popular but would it be like Temple Bar where you'll get no sleep plan on having a long night the Friday but early on Saturday as the flight first thing Sunday.

How much are taxis in the City ? say from the centre to the airport.

In general is Birmingham a good spot to head out in? Which pubs clubs are good ? and which ones to avoid.

Just looking to a have a fun break really like. Try and get a bit of shopping in too and if there is any sight seeing you would reccommend please do :)

Thanks in advance :):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

i'd not stay around the arena - its part of the NEC, a massive, massive complex, but its not exactly buzzing in its nightlife. its also next to the airport.

the south-west side of the city is the 'nicest' - Edgbastion etc... though of course its the furthest away from the IG and the Airport. by all means stay in the city centre - wouldn't bother with Broad Street though, it'd be like staying at Temple Bar. there's lots of busses, as well as trains from the NEC into Birmingham - from recall, a taxi will cost about £20, but that was a good few years ago...

in terms of tourism/attractions it depends what you like - and how mobile you are. Birmingham itself doesn't have much in the way of Medieval history - its 18th century, grand and industrial - and obviously, being a large city with not far off the entire population of Ireland living with about an hour of the city centre it doesn't have much in the way of natural beauty. the markets are good for a browse and a 'what the fcuk is that!', the canal system up at Brindley place is good for pubs, food and mooching, the shopping is very good and there's lots of theatres. the museum is very good - you could easily spend half a day in there - and they have a large collection of the Staffordshire Hoard, a collection of Saxon Gold.

if you want natual beauty head north-east to the Peak District or even just Cannock Chase, or west to the Clee Hill's, Long Mynd, and Stiperstones - but you'll need a car for the west. other, older, more picturesque towns/cities that are easily visited by PT from Birmingham are Worcester, Hereford, Warwick, Stratford, Shrewsbury and Ludlow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Hello there ,

Hope someone can answer my questions or at least a couple :)

Well we're going to gig in the Lg Arena on a Friday staying till Sunday and was wondering are we better staying near there or staying in the city centre as we want to head out after :D

Was looking at the Premier Inns and they have a good few located around city but don't have a clue which one to book.

Googled nightlife there and Broadsteet and Bradley seem to be most popular but would it be like Temple Bar where you'll get no sleep plan on having a long night the Friday but early on Saturday as the flight first thing Sunday.

How much are taxis in the City ? say from the centre to the airport.

In general is Birmingham a good spot to head out in? Which pubs clubs are good ? and which ones to avoid.

Just looking to a have a fun break really like. Try and get a bit of shopping in too and if there is any sight seeing you would reccommend please do :)

Thanks in advance :):)

I lived in the city for 7 years, i was there last week for 4 days, i ran a business on Broad Street, its still there but im not :)

Stay in the centre, there's next to nothing to entertain yourself out by the airport.

Book a Premier Inn based on their location map on site, theres 3 or 4 central to broad street and the city centre. There is also a brand new hotel on broad street (close to Tesco), for the life of me i cant think of the name, its only there a few weeks and doing nice deals. Actually, i just thought of it, its called the Hampton by Hilton. Friends of friends stayed there last week.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g186402-d2716018-Reviews-Hampton_by_Hilton_Birmingham_Broad_Street-Birmingham_West_Midlands_England.html

Broad St and Brindley place is not like Temple bar in my opinion.

Dont worry about sleep, you will get enough, unlikely you would get a room on first few floors, higher up and noise is negligible. Bill Clinton and Tony Blair stayed at hotels on Broad St for a summit years ago at the weekend, dont worry about the noise levels.

There's a Jury's hotel on Broad St also, but never stayed there.

For a few drinks i wouldnt stray too far from Broad st/The mailbox/The canal, night or day, (theres plenty in this area to quench a thirst from 11am through 2am)......they are on top of each other and 5 minute walk from hotels ive mentioned. Move from there and you end up in some local dive of a place. Broad st is well policed at weekends, also has street wardens, its as nice and safe as you will get in brum, theres no real place to avoid in this area, it depends what you like.

Birmingham is not the best of places to go sight seeing unless you want to travel a fair bit outside.

For shopping i suggest the Bullring, i was in it myself last week, its massive, everything there for you. Its right in the centre of the city, a 10 min walk from broad street.

If you are looking for a quick bite after late drinks, i suggest try a balti house on the street or if indian food isnt your thing, get a chicken burito from 'Get Stuffed', its an outdoor stand just up from the Aussie bar, trust me, the same burito has been sold for 20 years from that exact place, ask any doorman, they will point you to it.

Have a good one.......a taxi from the airport to centre is about £20-£24

Advertisement