Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my stuttering back?

Options
  • 08-06-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

:(

hi my stuttering is back and is making me fell down in everyday normal situation i.e asking something at the shop, drink in a pub, getting on a bus.

used to have a bad stutter when small but got help and now in last week its coming back. i sometimes stutter when speaking fast but that wasnt a problem but now its constant on my mind now when im going to ask for something at the shop what im going to say is on my mind and i always nearly stumble on the first word. i would feel nervous and anxious when saying it. i sometimes feel fairly comfident in myself but now its bother me.

would events in life have anything to do with it thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Definitely, if your confidence in general has taken a knock then it can affect your speech. Best thing I can recommend is to get your confidence back. If you can try to get away on a good holiday, and relax, recoup and find your confidence zone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jigital

Good advice above from pog it. Try to relax and let it pass. Don't allow it to become a vicious circle. It could be that your increased fear of stuttering is making you stutter.

Also, I suggest you ask yourself why you sometimes speak fast. Is it because you feel people don't care to listen to you or that they will interrupt you if you don't finish a sentence quickly? This can really affect your self confidence. Try to speak to people slowly and clearly and show them that you expect them to have the courtesy to listen to you.

I don't know if this is happening to you, but I really believe that some people will try to make you feel timid or self conscious if they detect the slighted bit of anxiety from you. For example, you ask someone a question and you know they heard you, yet it's "Sorry, what was that? Can you say that again?" It's a form of passive bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vanriper

Hi Rob

I hope you are keeping well, I don’t want to give you advice about your stammer because it is very individualised to us all. We all have different triggers to our stuttering and different tricks we may use to be fluent.

I think it might be helpful to get in touch with a Irish Stammering Association support group. There you will be able to go to talk to other people who stammer in a safe environment where you can discuss the issues you are having with your speech.

You can find the Irish Stammering association online at stammeringireland.ie

Best of luck
    Stephen.

Advertisement