Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players that play better for their national side than their club side

• 08-06-2012 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭

Well as an Arsenal fan I watched Russian play the Czech Rep and witnessed another good performance from Arshavin in a Russian Jersey. It got me thinking about players who play better for their national side when they pull on the national jersey. Chilavert from Paraguay came to mind,can you think of any other players that play better for their country than club side?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Richard Dunne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Not much to add here really other than the fact that I was just thinking the exact same thing about Arshavin. He played really well tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Lukas Podolski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

McShane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Clinton Morrison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Pavlyuchenko, was a bit hit and miss for Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sean St Ledger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Bentner, different animal in a Danish shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Juve fans used to constantly complain that Zidane didn't put in the same effort as he did with France.
    They deserved to lose him to Madrid after that kind of nonsense.
    Don't think Real fans ever complained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

David Healy ( in saying that he has been a dud recently )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Robbie Keane
    Miroslav Klose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Giovani dos Santos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Peter crouch
    Kilbane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Peter crouch
    Kilbane

Don't agree with Crouch. He's always done the business for club as well as country!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Muller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Robbie Keane
    Miroslav Klose

ah come on!!!!

Robbie has 178 goals in 474 appearances in his club career, and is ranked 24th in the all-time-Premier-League assists table!!!

His stats for Ireland are a bit better but you gotta throw in a lot of goals against minnows.

He's been a top player club & country.

Gio Dos Santos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I was going to say Andriy Viktorovych Voronin as i saw him score for the Ukraine the other day, but looking at his record its pretty poor with 8 goals in 70 odd games, still he must be doing something right to play 70 games for the ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Maybe not so much anymore but Milan Baros record at International level far surpasses his exploits for any of his clubs

Same goes for Klose

Klose's record in tournaments is brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Christiano Ronaldo + Wayne Rooney seem to be the opposite.

Christiano Ronaldo + Wayne Rooney seem to be the opposite.

Ronaldo? Really

Lets go back to 2008/09

ECQ - 13 games 8 goals

2009/10
    WCQ 4 games 0 goals

2010/11
    ECQ 2 games 2 goals
    WC 4 games 1 goal 1 assist

2011/12
    Friendly 3 games 2 goals
    ECQ 6 games 5 goals 1 assist

Hardly a poor return is it? Pretty damn good in fact! Especially considering he has poorer quality players around him then he has at Real Madrid where his goalscoring record is that of a freak!

The stats dont really matter to me, having seen him play for Portugal quite a bit over the last few years he is certainly not an underperformer for them.

Rooney isnt exactly bad either is he?

2011/12 he scored 2 in 4 competitive games
    2010/11 he played for England in the WC, did anybody perform?
    in his other games he managed 1 goal and 3 assists out of 3 games, not terrible
    2009/10 he scored 4 in 4 in WCQ with 1 assist, 2 in 4 friendlys

And again, we all know Rooney does more for the team then just goals.

Think it would be harsh to say they dont play well for their countries myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Andy Cole........oh wait:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Florent Malouda.
    Think maybe he should retire from club football to prolong his international career!

Messi could be an example of the opposite thus far, though he is starting to play better for Argentina lately

Diego Lugano maybe?

Edin Dzeko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

The level of competition is so broad between international teams compared to club football that some players can break records and end up as some of the best ever for their countries but also have an unremarkable record at club level.

I definitely wouldn't include Keane as a player who plays better for country.He's scored so many of his goals in friendlies its ridiculous.I guess thats another story though.

Denilson and Veron did very well for their countries but ended up going to clubs for massive fees and failed to live up to their hype.

Veron has had an amazing career, the only false step was United, and even at that he was good in Europe and not as bad as its made out in the league, plus Fergie tried to fit him into a system rather then play him where he is at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Aaron Ramsey.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Veron has had an amazing career, the only false step was United, and even at that he was good in Europe and not as bad as its made out in the league, plus Fergie tried to fit him into a system rather then play him where he is at his best.

Yeah he won a lot actually,Think I have the Utd goggles on for that one.I'd consider him one of the most disappointing signings for the club in recent times,But he did have a great club career so I'm wrong there.

Karel Poborsky maybe?

niallo27 wrote: »
    I was going to say Andriy Viktorovych Voronin as i saw him score for the Ukraine the other day, but looking at his record its pretty poor with 8 goals in 70 odd games, still he must be doing something right to play 70 games for the ukraine.

Hes the Ukrainian Heskey :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Davor Suker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

ah come on!!!!

Robbie has 178 goals in 474 appearances in his club career, and is ranked 24th in the all-time-Premier-League assists table!!!

His stats for Ireland are a bit better but you gotta throw in a lot of goals against minnows.

He's been a top player club & country.

True, sort of. Keane, being honest, was pretty poor for us in the same years he was one of the top strikers in England. Post Staunton he returned to form for us as his club pedigree declined.

tbh the Irish squad are full of bit part club players of limited ability who manage to pull it out of the bag when the green goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Aaron Ramsey.

Thats a good one, any time I'd seen him play for Wales under Gary Speed he was excellent and completely dictated games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

I think Arshavin knew if he plays well he is more likely to get a better move for himself.It is like a couple of years ago Mark Viduka,who had been poor throughout the season and out of contract started playing class in the last few games.He got a move to Newcastle and went back to his lazy self.
    I have always thought Glenn Whelan plays better for Ireland than for Stoke.Pavelachynko(don't know how to spell it)played well for Russia in Euro 2008 but never played as well for spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I've this anomaly referred to as Milan Baros Syndrome in the past...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Jan koller,Fabio Grosso,David Trezuguet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

yomtea98 wrote: »
    David Trezuguet

1995–2000|Monaco|93|(52)
    2000–2010|Juventus|242|(138)

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

David Healy