Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping Charges - US to Ireland

Options
  • 08-06-2012 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

I run a small online business, which I started at the beginning of 2012 in a fairly niche market.
    Basically, I had a requirement to use a product in 2011 which I had to source from outside Ireland and found it so good that have setup as the sole Irish distributor (also sell to the UK)

So I buy from the US manufacturer at set prices due to bulk purchases, the problem is that the shipping charges vary wildly.
    The manufacturer has always used FedEx as they can obtain special discounts.
    I have so far placed 6 orders and the cheapest shipping charge worked out at $2.72 per unit while the most expensive was $5.45 per unit.

Each time I place an order it seems a bit of a lottery as to what the shipping charges will be.
    the manufacturer simply says that FedEx change their rates all the time and multiple factors affect the price they are quoted.
    Just wondering is this normal?
    Has anybody any experience of a similar situation?

I have asked the manufacturer to provide me with a consistent shipping cost per product (multiple products at different weights) but so far this has not been forthcoming as I am probably a small customer for them.

Any advice / ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Can you not arrange the shipping yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

tan11ie wrote: »
    Can you not arrange the shipping yourself?

I did get a quote from FedEx but it was double the most expensive price I had paid.
    This reinforces the manufacturers claim that they get discount rates from FedEx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

JMR wrote: »
    I did get a quote from FedEx but it was double the most expensive price I had paid.
    This reinforces the manufacturers claim that they get discount rates from FedEx.

Anyone doing regular shipping will get a discount from fedex and others. - average 40% and can be higher.

How often are you shipping?
    What is the average freight cost per shipment?
    Is the shipping time very important?

If your average fedex shipping cost is €500+, then its probably wise to contact a freight forwarder who will use best rates to get shipment here. Phoenix International in Ballycoolin is a good company and have offices in USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

JMR, Send a PM to Rudy (our resident expert)
    If anyone around here knows this stuff, it's him.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=222187

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 romanm

sandin wrote: »
    Anyone doing regular shipping will get a discount from fedex and others. - average 40% and can be higher.

How often are you shipping?
    What is the average freight cost per shipment?
    Is the shipping time very important?

If your average fedex shipping cost is €500+, then its probably wise to contact a freight forwarder who will use best rates to get shipment here. Phoenix International in Ballycoolin is a good company and have offices in USA.
    Is it just your estimation or the discount you've mentioned is accurate?To get 40% discount is quite generous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement