Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can somebody explain this to me about the irish oral in relation to the written exam?

• 08-06-2012 11:03pm

I've always done higher irish but I want to drop to Pass on Monday, but the fact both are marked the same in the oral has me confused. I assume you get so much of a percentage in the oral something out of 40% and then in the end its added on to your exam but lets say i got 30% in the oral does that mean its easier for me to pass the higher paper and maybe then get 45 points (a d3) than it would be for a person to get an a1 in pass irish? would their standard have to have been 40/40 in the oral?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Assuming you did indeed get 30% out of 40% in the oral, youd be better off staying in higher. Yes, youd only get the same percentage for your oral if you dropped. If you got 30%, then all you require is 10%(out of a total of 60%0 for the papers, which equates to 5% of 30% per paper. Thats only about... 17% of each paper needed to pass, which if youve been doing HL for 5 years, youll be grand xD. Im in the same boat, worried, but im sure I can manage a pass, even if its only barely a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 music888

I'd advise you to stay with higher level as there's quite a difference in the kind of questions on pass and honours papers as far as I can remember! So unless you've been thinking about it for quite a while and have studied past papers etc I would say stick with it if you can!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

get an a1 in pass irish?

Our Irish teacher has told us all along they there is no chance of getting an A1 in ordinary level. You would have to have near perfect Irish to get an A1 in ordinary, because you will always loose a mark in a few different places for grammar and spelling. She said people that drop usually get around a B.

How did the mock go?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NlALL

GarIT wrote: »
    Our Irish teacher has told us all along they there is no chance of getting an A1 in ordinary level. You would have to have near perfect Irish to get an A1 in ordinary, because you will always loose a mark in a few different places for grammar and spelling. She said people that drop usually get around a B.

How did the mock go?

I got an A1 in pass irish last year and my irish was pretty average...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

With the new course you've got a really good chance of passing the exam.

• Advertisement

NlALL wrote: »

Really and did you put in much effort?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Surely the oral is marked harder for HL so if a HL student dropped they would get more marks? Or if thats not the case, I may aswell pick up HL paper

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NlALL

NlALL wrote: »

Really and did you put in much effort?

Well I was in honours for 5 years, only dropped down cos I didn't have the time to learn all the Irish notes toilet a decent grade and I had 6 other honours anyway. Went in needing a pass, somehow came out with an A1 haha

Advertisement