Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concrete fence-problem

Options
  • 08-06-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

sorry if this is in the worong section,

we have a concrete fence along part of the boundary on our site. the fence was erected about 3 years ago.

over the last 3 years, a number of the posts have fallen. i rang the fence installer and he came back and fixed them up.

over the last 6 months, 9 of the posts have fallen, i rang the guy again. he is very slow to come back. he said he never encountered this probelm before and doesnt know why its happening

has anyone experienced same? or any advice for me

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

any pictures would help,, do they fall in high wind or when, more details would help

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

sorry if this is in the worong section,

we have a concrete fence along part of the boundary on our site. the fence was erected about 3 years ago.

over the last 3 years, a number of the posts have fallen. i rang the fence installer and he came back and fixed them up.

over the last 6 months, 9 of the posts have fallen, i rang the guy again. he is very slow to come back. he said he never encountered this probelm before and doesnt know why its happening

has anyone experienced same? or any advice for me

thanks

Unless you have savage, rampaging moles that are undermining the fence posts, its a pretty good bet that the poles were not set in concrete, or not enough concrete. He probably never encountered the problem before because he had never put up a concrete fence before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

looksee wrote: »
    Unless you have savage, rampaging moles that are undermining the fence posts, its a pretty good bet that the poles were not set in concrete, or not enough concrete. He probably never encountered the problem before because he had never put up a concrete fence before.

Jumping the gun here?

Frequently concrete and timber posts must not be securely set in concrete footings. In such instances post must be deeply set, which is why others will use concrete footings as an alternative means to securing posts.

Apart from installation, soft or sandy ground, inadequate post length could also be contributing factors.

More info would be required before making any conclusions as to the likely causes for failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

I had a similar problem and what we done was uprooted all the posts and reset them with plenty of concrete and thay are fine now. Bit of a job but worth the effort.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Jumping the gun here?

Frequently concrete and timber posts must not be securely set in concrete footings. In such instances post must be deeply set, which is why others will use concrete footings as an alternative means to securing posts.

Apart from installation, soft or sandy ground, inadequate post length could also be contributing factors.

More info would be required before making any conclusions as to the likely causes for failure.
    Not using concrete for timber posts is understandable, but what are the reasons for not setting a concrete post in concrete?

• Advertisement

Jumping the gun here?
    No, just offering a slightly tongue in cheek opinion, which I stand by

Sheesh. In knots I am uptying myself.
    True, but short of a site visit we can only offer ideas. Where are my conclusions?

slowburner wrote: »
    Not using concrete for timber posts is understandable, but what are the reasons for not setting a concrete post in concrete?

Driving posts into the ground can in specific situations, be more practical, more efficient and therefore more cost effective means of anchoring concrete posts without using any concrete footings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Driving posts into the ground can in specific situations, be more practical, more efficient and therefore more cost effective means of anchoring concrete posts without using any concrete footings.
    What situations would demand no concrete, apart from doing the job more cheaply?
    And can concrete posts be pile driven?

Not if they fall over.

looksee wrote: »
    Not if they fall over.

:confused:

If done properly, they will not fall over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement