Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanium Moderator

Options
  • 08-06-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have finally saved up for a Titanium moderator for My Marlin .308 because I got sick of lugging the other one around!!!! I was looking at one on http://www.lawrenceprecision.co.uk/ which I got from another post. I emailed them about a week ago but got no answer What I'm wondering now is maybe its not legal to send them over here! Does anyone know does this crowd send them over to Ireland and has anyone had any dealings with them as they get very good reviews.
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I cannot be sure, and am trying to find it, but i remember reading somewhere something about not being able to ship mods, high mag scopes, and other accessories from the UK to Ireland.

If you are looking for a good mod, made to your specs why not try this chap. Have been reading about him on another site for a while, and he is a member there so getting info might be easier and faster than awaiting a reply e-mail.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

Cheers for that I had a look there and they are made from aluminium and stainless and the weight is from about 550Grams to about 750 grams depending on the moderator and there is only a 2 year waranty where as Lawerence Precision has a lifetime waranty the weight is about 400 grams to about 450 grams depending on the moderator although there is a big difference in price between the two! Maybe its possible to get it sent to a RFD??

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

dto001 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have finally saved up for a Titanium moderator for My Marlin .308 because I got sick of lugging the other one around!!!! I was looking at one on http://www.lawrenceprecision.co.uk/ which I got from another post. I emailed them about a week ago but got no answer What I'm wondering now is maybe its not legal to send them over here! Does anyone know does this crowd send them over to Ireland and has anyone had any dealings with them as they get very good reviews.
    Cheers
    I bought another moderator recently in the UK.
    I got them to post it to a friend of mine in N Ireland as they could not send it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

I got few things delivered to the north with no issues but for the likes of Uttings.co.uk they wont wont ship outside the UK also they wont accept any credit card that's registered outside the UK but i got around that too :p.
    This might be a help I didn't read it properly but it may be of use to someone at some stage http://www.bis.gov.uk/policies/export-control-organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

If you are looking for a light moderator, why look at one weighing around 400 grams?
    Atec cmm alu weighs 220 grams and the Roedale Delta 200 grams.
    The heaviest Roedale Delta for 308 weighs 470 grams, all stainless. I have one of them spare.
    I use a 5 baffle Alu Delta on my 308 which is an early test modell and weighs 175 grams.
    I think it is better to send moderators RFD to RFD.

edi

• Advertisement

Cheers for that lads,
    Edi can you send me the details of where you got those mods and do they ship or is it collection only?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

If your looking for an A-TEC CMM-4 i know John Lambert in Wexford does them,
    I found him very good to deal with and i was able to do it all over the phone and got the moderator posted to me.

John Lambert 086-2616907

Cheers for that lads,
    Edi can you send me the details of where you got those mods and do they ship or is it collection only?

Sorry for the late reply.
    You can mail Roedale.de or have a look at their webshop.
    They could post to myself or other RFD.

If John Lambert would have something suitable it might be the easiest.
    edi

Hi,
    Cheers
    Did you look into these Lawrence Precision mods since? I'd rather them more than any a-tec or Roedale Delta for one good reason. The Lawrence Precision mods only add 10cm to your over all barrel length which is unreal. I hate mods that add several inches to the overall barrel length which makes the rifle to long and clumsy. I'm going to ask my rfd if he can get one in for me. How much are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

4200fps wrote: »
    Did you look into these Lawrence Precision mods since? I'd rather them more than any a-tec or Roedale Delta for one good reason. The Lawrence Precision mods only add 10cm to your over all barrel length which is unreal. I hate mods that add several inches to the overall barrel length which makes the rifle to long and clumsy. I'm going to ask my rfd if he can get one in for me. How much are they?

The a-tec maxim adds 115mm or 11.5cm. That's only over half an inch in the difference. Not a lot in it really.

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    The a-tec maxim adds 115mm or 11.5cm. That's only over half an inch in the difference. Not a lot in it really.
    Ooop's my mistake i'm not awake today. Sorry bout that Vegeta. I was thinking milimetres not centimetres. I'm gona have to buy a T8. Why dont reflex make a mod simular to the T8's spec that doesn't rust. I just like keeping the gun short as possible and T8's are the shortest I can find

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭.243

they cost around the 600 stirling mark,from the reviews going around your paying extra for weight saving and there are quieter mods out there

I think the trick is to start with a cal that is not so sensitive to barrel length. 223/308 for example. Chop the barrel to 20" and fit a muzzle mounted can. An over the barrel mod is always a heavier design because there is more surface area to a given volume.
    On my 243 I chopped the barrel from 24" to 20" saved 135 grams, fitted a roedale Ultra light which makes the moderated rifle just 2 oz heavier than before.
    Onother issue is that many, including several gunsmiths that do not unterstand how to fit an over the barrel mod. Many rifles with over the barrel mods therefore have accuracy issues. With front mounted mods there are less problems.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

ejg wrote: »
    I think the trick is to start with a cal that is not so sensitive to barrel length. 223/308 for example. Chop the barrel to 20" and fit a muzzle mounted can. An over the barrel mod is always a heavier design because there is more surface area to a given volume.
    On my 243 I chopped the barrel from 24" to 20" saved 135 grams, fitted a roedale Ultra light which makes the moderated rifle just 2 oz heavier than before.
    Onother issue is that many, including several gunsmiths that do not unterstand how to fit an over the barrel mod. Many rifles with over the barrel mods therefore have accuracy issues. With front mounted mods there are less problems.
    edi

Can you explain that Edi?
    I have an over-barrel ASE...

Glensman, just look through forums how many have accuracy problems with these mods. Then look at the different theories of how to fit the plastic bush on over barrel mods. Many actually believe you can centre the mod with the plastic bush and therefore need a fairly tight fit.

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

ejg wrote: »
    Glensman, just look through forums how many have accuracy problems with these mods. Then look at the different theories of how to fit the plastic bush on over barrel mods. Many actually believe you can centre the mod with the plastic bush and therefore need a fairly tight fit.

edi

I bought my .223 With the mod.
    It shoots in the .25's (admittedly with some very good homeloads);However, there is No plastic bush at all. I dont think the ASE is designed to have one?

Glensman wrote: »
    I bought my .223 With the mod.
    It shoots in the .25's (admittedly with some very good homeloads);However, there is No plastic bush at all. I dont think the ASE is designed to have one?

I don't know if ASE have the bush or not. Often mods with plastic bush shoot better when the bush is left out. The reason is that most rifle barrels do not have the bore in the centre, meaning a bush that tries to centre on the outside diameter of the barrel will mostly bend the mod off centre. Best is to bore out a bush that it does not touch the barrel when mod is screwed on.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

You know the way sometimes you file away a name in your head and think, 'I'll remember this guy if I'm ever asked'...

I had enough of a lesson in one small dealing with Simon Lawrence to know to steer well clear.

I have been on to roedale.de and they have said that they can ship direct to me with a copy of my FAC so as soon my work trip is over I'll be ordering the Roedale delta VI.
    Demonloop just out of curiousity why would you stay well clear of Simon Lawrence?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

I have been on to roedale.de and they have said that they can ship direct to me with a copy of my FAC so as soon my work trip is over I'll be ordering the Roedale delta VI.
    Demonloop just out of curiousity why would you stay well clear of Simon Lawrence?

I wouldn't be comfortable posting the details; boards.ie have responsibility for the content on this forum.

I know nothing of his products, so I can't comment on those - I had dealings with him of a different nature - but his conduct and attitude in general left me astounded to say the least.

Maybe I got him on a bad day, but I'll never know as there won't ever be a second day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Ooop's my mistake i'm not awake today. Sorry bout that Vegeta. I was thinking milimetres not centimetres. I'm gona have to buy a T8. Why dont reflex make a mod simular to the T8's spec that doesn't rust. I just like keeping the gun short as possible and T8's are the shortest I can find

Before you part with your hard earned lucre take a look at the Sonic moderator made by Nielsen of Norway. 255 euros,2/3 of the weight of a T8.
    John Lambert in Camolin has them in every thread I could think of and they appear well made.

When my T8 dissolves I will be replacing it with on of these Sonics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sika98k wrote: »
    Before you part with your hard earned lucre take a look at the Sonic moderator made by Nielsen of Norway. 255 euros,2/3 of the weight of a T8.
    John Lambert in Camolin has them in every thread I could think of and they appear well made.

When my T8 dissolves I will be replacing it with on of these Sonics.

What does it add length wise to the rifle?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Vegeta wrote: »
    What does it add length wise to the rifle?

I did not measure it or fit it as I didnt have my rifle to hand. But it is a reflex type ala T8. You can find full specs on Highland Outdoors website.

Advertisement