Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish fans welcome England team to Poland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

All the Captain bring downs and Serious in here. Its only a bit of banter. A lad I know was in that crowd and he said both sets of fans were having a laugh singing at each other for a good while and it was all a bit of fun. Oh and to add a lot of them went drinking after with each other.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Travelling out of your way to shout insults at the very men your cheer about every other week though? Yeah sorry, to me thats pathetic :)

A lot of them flew into Krakow first before heading up to where Ireland are playing. Hardly traveling out of their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

CoachTO wrote: »
    A lot of them flew into Krakow first before heading up to where Ireland are playing. Hardly traveling out of their way.

So they just happened to be outside the hotel when the team arrived?

I think the poster meant if they were in Krakow and said "let's go to their hotel and boo them as they arrive" - that's going out of their way.

Flying out specifically to boo a team would be beyond sad.

lizt wrote: »

I think the poster meant if they were in Krakow and said "let's go to their hotel and boo them as they arrive" - that's going out of their way.

:rolleyes:

Their hotel is smack bang in the middle of Krakow and stones throw from the main tourist area of Krakow. Talking a stroll if you are in Krakow to Englands hotel is hardly going out of your way. They went for a bit of banter got their banter had a laugh and most likely them and the English fans had great craic that night.

:rolleyes:

Their hotel is smack bang in the middle of Krakow and stones throw from the main tourist area of Krakow. Talking a stroll if you are in Krakow to Englands hotel is hardly going out of your way. They went for a bit of banter got their banter had a laugh and most likely them and the English fans had great craic that night.

The point is that they didn't turn up there by accident.

I'm sure they did have great craic with the English fans, what does that have to do with anything?

As someone said previously, if the English fans did this to the Ireland team there would be uproar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

All the Captain bring downs and Serious in here. Its only a bit of banter. A lad I know was in that crowd and he said both sets of fans were having a laugh singing at each other for a good while and it was all a bit of fun. Oh and to add a lot of them went drinking after with each other.
    Why didn't they go to the Croatia team hotel instead and have their "banter" there?! The England obsession is sad and embarrasing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

As someone said previously, if the English fans did this to the Ireland team there would be uproar.

I'd be very disappointed if the English outsung the Irish ouside the Irish hotel aswell.:pac:
    Bit of banter, plain and simple.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I'd be very disappointed if the English outsung the Irish ouside the Irish hotel aswell.:pac:
    Bit of banter, plain and simple.

You may call it that but how does it look to people outside Ireland? Sad and obsessive.

Booing a team purely because of where they are from? I'd call that xenophobia, not banter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

cournioni wrote: »
    Why didn't they go to the Croatia team hotel instead and have their "banter" there?! The England obsession is sad and embarrasing.

Those fans know the English players as well - if not more - than their own! Our nearest neighbours. The whole history of the 2 countries etc..... harldy obsession/sad/embarassing, just a fact of life really.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

cournioni wrote: »
    Why didn't they go to the Croatia team hotel instead and have their "banter" there?!

The women would be too good looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So the Irish fans shouted at the England squad, so what?
    Anyone remember Lansdowne in 1995?
    Haven't seen the Irish smash up any stadiums and beat up the other teams fans when they visit a country.

You may call it that but how does it look to people outside Ireland? Sad and obsessive.

Booing a team purely because of where they are from? I'd call that xenophobia, not banter.

Are you for real? :rolleyes: Euro 2012 is on in Poland/Ukraine and all the banter is expected which gives the whole tournament the fun element and good craic for all involved. Football banter has always been about the loud singing and cross banter you see in that video. You would understand if you ever traveled to an away game or tournament.

As for my comment about the fans drinking with each other after? Really? It shows that no one there took offense to it and clearly shows it was nothing more than banter. If the English fans there can accept it as banter why can't everyone else? You would swear they set the streets on fire and broke sh1t up the way people are going on.

And I bet you any money most of those complaining on here have never been to an International match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

sad to think that the people in england give a fiddlers fe*k what goes on in the euro....championships......

they don't.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

If they traveled there for the express purpose of shouting those things at the English then for shame. Just imagine if the roles were reversed, if the English supporters did the exact same; made their way to that street, shouted and sang, "God Save the Queen", you could be guaranteed that everyone that thinks it's funny would be in uproar over it.

But no, since it's us doing it to the English, it's fine. And, as someone else said, they'd be off supporting the very same players they jeered at as they're playing in the premiership.

I genuinely think the people that went there should have both their passports and their rights to leave this country revoked. At least then, they wouldn't make the rest of our country look like idiots.

The only people making our country look like idiots are the ones like yourself coming on here spouting some pseudo outrage about a group of Irish fans having the banter with the English team/fans.
    Cop on to yourself, will you.
    It's part of the craic at a championship!
    The Irish fans will do us proud out there.
    Wish I was going!

Are you for real? :rolleyes: Euro 2012 is on in Poland/Ukraine and all the banter is expected which gives the whole tournament the fun element and good craic for all involved. Football banter has always been about the loud singing and cross banter you see in that video. You would understand if you ever traveled to an away game or tournament.

As for my comment about the fans drinking with each other after? Really? It shows that no one there took offense to it and clearly shows it was nothing more than banter. If the English fans there can accept it as banter why can't everyone else? You would swear they set the streets on fire and broke sh1t up the way people are going on.

And I bet you any money most of those complaining on here have never been to an International match.

So from my few posts in this thread you have surmised that I've never been to an away game or tournament or international match. Great powers of deduction there.... I've been to several international matches, sorry to burst your bubble.

So from my few posts in this thread you have surmised that I've never been to an away game or tournament or international match. Great powers of deduction there.... I've been to several international matches, sorry to burst your bubble.

Where did I say you in particular? I said "most of those complaining". That doesn't mean "All" but hey fair play to you for only focusing on that part of what I wrote good to see you neglected the rest of the post to try contradict what I said.

Where did I say you in particular? I said "most of those complaining". That doesn't mean "All" but hey fair play to you for only focusing on that part of what I wrote good to see you neglected the rest of the post to try contradict what I said.

Forgive me if I'm reading this wrong but you said
    You would understand if you ever traveled to an away game or tournament.

But hey, fair play to you for only focusing on another part of your post ;)

Forgive me if I'm reading this wrong but you said

But hey, fair play to you for only focusing on another part of your post ;)

So have you been to an away game or tournament?

So have you been to an away game or tournament?

Why is that relevant :confused:
    I haven't been to an away game for financial reasons.

Why is that relevant :confused:
    I haven't been to an away game for financial reasons.

Because that was my point in the first part of that post. The banter you see in that video is common on away trips or tournaments more so than home games. Good old banter and singing against rival fans.

See the stupid thing is you replied twice to me to try make me look stupid and you failed on both counts. If you are going to quote me at least get the correct context.

Talk about mis quoting me though to prove your point. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You know one of my pet peeves? When someone sugarcoats and dresses up being a complete and utter dick by using the word "banter", as if it makes it all OK.

You know one of my pet peeves? When someone sugarcoats and dresses up being a complete and utter dick by using the word "banter", as if it makes it all OK.

One of my pet peeves is when people clearly can't distinguish the difference between people have genuine fun and people actually being dicks.

The English fans there that day saw it as fun and I bet you anything the English team care less about a few Paddy booing them. Its sad that people like yourself are tarring all those fans as "utter dicks"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Oh FFS, Get back in your box will ya! Go cut some turf or something, jeez!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

This is why all soccer threads should be on the soccer forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Pics & vids ffs:D

Because that was my point in the first part of that post. The banter you see in that video is common on away trips or tournaments more so than home games. Good old banter and singing against rival fans.

See the stupid thing is you replied twice to me to try make me look stupid and you failed on both counts. If you are going to quote me at least get the correct context.

Talk about mis quoting me though to prove your point. :rolleyes:

I wasn't trying to make you look stupid. Someone disagreeing with you doesn't mean they're trying to make you look stupid. Nice to see you're getting good mileage out of the rolleyes smiley though :)

I just don't agree that booing someone is banter and frankly I'm sick of people trying to write it off as that.

It's clear that we have different viewpoints, I'm embarrassed that these people represent Ireland abroad whereas you see it as harmless. Let's just leave it there, don't want to drag this thread even more off topic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

OP you should've left a warning for the chastisement brigade.

I posted this exact video a few days ago, and was actually told by some complete gob****e that I and those enjoyed it as banter were "unevolved, close minded bigots". :rolleyes:

I wasn't trying to make you look stupid. Someone disagreeing with you doesn't mean they're trying to make you look stupid. Nice to see you're getting good mileage out of the rolleyes smiley though :)

No but you accused me of saying you had never been to a game and when I called you out on it you tried then to then make it look like I was by mis quoting me. And yes that looks like you are trying to be smart and trying to make me look silly.

And here you go :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Loads more for you.
    I just don't agree that booing someone is banter and frankly I'm sick of people trying to write it off as that.
    So you have never booed at someone for a laugh without actual negative intent? Fair enough.
    It's clear that we have different viewpoints, I'm embarrassed that these people represent Ireland abroad whereas you see it as harmless. Let's just leave it there, don't want to drag this thread even more off topic :)
    Good thing they didn't break any laws or kill someone god knows how you would feel then. But agree to disagree and all that jazz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

lol at the west brits nerds without a sense of humor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

An unfortunate taster of the deluge of spasticity that will engulf the country in the next few weeks.

Advertisement