Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Coverage in donegal/sligo

Options
  • 08-06-2012 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I am currently looking at the three network. Would anyone have any reviews on it . Would appreacite any feed back . i am lookat a 24 month contract. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

24 months is a long contract,i have 3 and it does the job but before i got it capped i got charged extra a few times and by extra i mean €80-€90 i now get 60mb for €30 a month not to bad me thinks,speeds are just ok!I also have the wifi box rather than the dongle it does the phone and tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

I've an iPhone4 on 3 for the past year with an all you can eat data bundle. Coverage is pretty good IMO but there are pros and cons.
    If you travel to the uk, you can connect to their 3 network and use your free minutes/data as if you were at home.
    However 3 Ireland have 2 networks, one of which isn't 3G.
    On the iPhone, if you lose the 3G signal, it will not re acquire it, but just sit on the 2.5g network. You have to manually select the 3G network again. Major pita but android probably lets you prioritise the preferred networks unlike apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Been with Three for nearly 4 yrs now having previously been with Vodafone meteor and O2 and couldn't complain and have no intention of leaving them. Coverage is excellent, I have never had no coverage although in some of the more rural areas it can be weak but that's to be expected on any network. As far as I know Three use Vodafone transmitters so signal will be the same as theirs. I'm on. 2 yr contract also, 2yrs is no big deal as I plan staying with them anyway. I'm on the 40euro tariff with 350 flexi units which equates to 350 mins or 700 texts and all you can eat data. I also have 150 texts as free add on. I rarely go over my allowance. The only bad thing about them is their customer service is based in India and it can be a torture at times but saying that I've only ever had to ring them a handful of times in almost 4 yrs. I'd recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Digitaltvman

Rubbish network 3, :mad:
    on average 1 minute to switch over to vodafone from there network, always losing service, and then they charge you for checking voice mail.

Customer care, crap, and that's when you can get someone who speaks english.

I moved to e mobile, much better coverage all over Donegal.

KEEP AWAY :eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If you're in an area that is close to a 3 mast/cell, then maybe not so bad.

When it falls back on Vodafone network (3 use Vodafone's network as fallback in areas they've no cells of their own), it's less fun, not least because you become limited to the useless GPRS for internet (some Voda cells have EDGE now, which is slightly faster).

Turns into a bloody nuiscance when you're in an area where 3 signal is weaker, and then the phone will fallback onto Vodafone cell, usually killing the call in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Got iPhone 4s on 3 network recently after moving from vodafone and meteor previously. On 24month contract. couldn't be happier with it. Blows all other networks out of the water from my experience, especially vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Rubbish network 3, :mad:
    on average 1 minute to switch over to vodafone from there network, always losing service, and then they charge you for checking voice mail.

Customer care, crap, and that's when you can get someone who speaks english.

I moved to e mobile, much better coverage all over Donegal.

KEEP AWAY :eek::eek::eek:

I find that hard to believe, between work and family I regularly be in north inishowen, west donegal (annagry/kincasslagh) and letterkenny/ballybofey and have never had a moments bother with their network. Might help to specifically say what area you experience problems in as the OP may not live or ever be anywhere near them and so your experience may not be entirely accurate for the county in general. BTW i live in letterkenny.

I do agree with you on their customer service but it doesnt have any real bearing on the overall service they provide. Like i said i have only ever had need to contact them a few times in the last four years and my query/problems were alwasy resolved albeit after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between their call centre in india and the one in dublin/ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

I have an iphone 4s and find 3 coverage in Donegal excellent. I cover the entire county for work and the only places where the signal dropped, it dropped on my work phone too which is on vodafone. Im talking about some pretty remote places like parts of Knockfola, a few miles north of Muff and a few spots around Fanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I'm on the NBS with 3 for the last 2 (almost 3) years. I live in the Fanad area. Since I started with them I've had mixed experiences with them - from really slow connection to terrible tech support - but great support here.......Biz/Talk To/Three
    (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367)

In the last month my connection has gone through the roof - download speed gone up by about 1Mb/s and upload increased by about the same.

Couldn't recommend them enough if all you want is home net access. As for telephone - best speak to people who have Three phones and see what sort of experiences they've had. Again, go to Threes page here and ask other users or the reps - they are really good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 katmoo32

<SNIP>

Mod edit: Please post on topic. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

ok,kind folks, I need to buy another "Donegal Dongle" tomorrow. Can I get one in Donegal town or Killybegs? I keep reading about all your shops closing down! Thanks in anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

also, it will be a 3 dongle as their coverage out at Rosbeg/Portnoo is the only show in town.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

For 3 network, either Alpha in Bundoran, or 3 Shop in Letterkenny S.C. (tesco one)

Or maybe via their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 carrodv

how do i post a therad i have look ever where nand cant seem to locate the new therad button . grtting tired of this now . should not be this difficult . i have posted one before and had no trouble i dont think any nsettings have being changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

carrodv wrote: »
    how do i post a therad i have look ever where nand cant seem to locate the new therad button . grtting tired of this now . should not be this difficult . i have posted one before and had no trouble i dont think any nsettings have being changed.
    Just go the front page of the forum and you will see the "new thread" tab at the top left

ScreenHunter_002_1.jpg

You should also have a read through the Newbie & FAQ forum where you will find answers to all your queries :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

I'm with Three as part of the NBS, the only problem I have is with their telephone support service. I have contacted them several times because I can't access my online account. I have always ended up talking to someone in India and no matter how clear and slowly I speak for them, there has been no follow up or resolution to my problem.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cjc0101

mongoman wrote: »
    I'm with Three as part of the NBS, the only problem I have is with their telephone support service. I have contacted them several times because I can't access my online account. I have always ended up talking to someone in India and no matter how clear and slowly I speak for them, there has been no follow up or resolution to my problem.:mad:

I not sure if you know or ever used, the rep service on here from three, I have contacted them a number of times, always very helpful, and they should get your problem sorted.

I had similar problem, of access to my account after I picked up a replacement sim, as my sim was very old and in the process of breaking in two, the three reps arranged someone to reset my account access and do a walk through, of how to get my access to my account via computer working, now it is fine, no problems since!
    Another time the reps help came in handy was when a top up via my3 on my phone went missing, they sorted it in about 2 hrs or less.
    The only problem is that they are only online for a couple of days a week.
    Mind you leaving a PM to reps on boards.ie beats d hell out of having to explain your problem over and over, and hanging on the phone for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Have been 3 since September and loving it.

Only issue is my kitchen doen't get much signal but that goes with everything tech realated!

wifi fails in the kitchen too despite the wifi spot being in the room above it!

If i had one meh point its their online experience. different pins for sending a message and just looking at your account etc

Advertisement