Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aprés Match 2012 Euros

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Has there been more classic episodes than new ones this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, mushroom, mushroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Most of the older generation don't quite get that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Hadn't seen that before...

Abso-fukin-lutely brilliant!!!!

Kirby wrote: »
    Most of the older generation don't quite get that one.

The video it's based on is years old at this stage. Not surprised if they wouldn't know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm normally a big fan of Apres Match but I think it's been a poor showing this time. Certainly not of the standards of previous tournaments imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I'm normally a big fan of Apres Match but I think it's been a poor showing this time. Certainly not of the standards of previous tournaments imo.

cut backs in RTE is the problem i would think. no matter how good the older ones are, not showing new content is lame and cheap.

these lads should be on all the time, better to spend the money on them and not the other clowns they pay money to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If this has been answered already apologies but why has there been so many "classic" episodes this time round and not so many new ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I would say a combination of money and new material. At this stage the well must be running pretty dry as they have slagged off everybody worth doing at this stage. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Better decision would have been to start showing sketches at a point where they had enough to show a new one each night. So if they had the budget for 10-12 new sketches and the 3rd/4th playoff, then start the sketches at the last round of group ties. They even could have done a big build-up to their return during the earlier games.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Better decision would have been to start showing sketches at a point where they had enough to show a new one each night. So if they had the budget for 10-12 new sketches and the 3rd/4th playoff, then start the sketches at the last round of group ties. They even could have done a big build-up to their return during the earlier games.

I was just thinking there that maybe the decision was made on the back of projected television viewers. There was a sketch for all of the Ireland matches, and there was one after all of the English matches as well I think.

I'd imagine that the viewing figures for tonights match would be low enough. Bar Ronaldo and Nani there wasn't really anyone to drag in the casual viewers. There didn't even seem to be too many people posting about it on the match thread.

The next few matches are more appealing. The England match will get a lot of viewers. Germany/Greece could get a good few as well, if only for the spectacle of Germany playing Greece, and the Spain will get a lot of viewers as well.

I reckon we'll get at least 2 sketches over those two days. I'd hazard a guess at there being a possibility of another Angela Merkel one tomorrow night, and then one involving the BBC after the England match.

I'd prefer quality over quantity. No point in having a muck one after every match. If they've to space them out to save the material then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Apart from the mild disappointment at having the classics instead of new episodes, I think they've been really strong this tournament. I remember thinking during the World Cup that they were a bit sub par; the Vincent Browne ones in particular I thought were horrendous.

Apart from the mild disappointment at having the classics instead of new episodes, I think they've been really strong this tournament. I remember thinking during the World Cup that they were a bit sub par; the Vincent Browne ones in particular I thought were horrendous.

The Terry Venables/You're on Sky Sports sketch they did after the England/USA game was pure genius. I'd love it if they brought back this for the England/Italy game. They generally nail Terry pretty perfectly.

I watched it again there and roared laughing at Trevor from Croydon and Terry thinking that Luka Modric could feature for Slovenia :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Terry Venables/You're on Sky Sports sketch they did after the England/USA game was pure genius. I'd love it if they brought back this for the England/Italy game. They generally nail Terry pretty perfectly.

I watched it again there and roared laughing at Trevor from Croydon and Terry thinking that Luka Modric could feature for Slovenia :D.

They were really funny at the time but since the English media has been a bit quieter this time around, in the build up at least, this type of sketch would not be as cutting or as timely. I would like to see them do some more general riffing on SSN though who are always ripe for parody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

not the best one ive seen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Very poor tonight

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Similar to the first one, but personally I thought this was a much better one. The John Terry one was hilarious, especially when he returned to steal his pint :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Aprés Match has been piss poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The John Terry one was good.

Didn't get the green gloves reference to Stephen Ireland, bet I'm missing something very simple!

I just love when they do the impressions of the panel.

Can't remember a new sketch with Johnny Giles this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

6 beers i thought i would piss myself laughing at apres match but alas i didnt laugh once! so disappointing :(

Aprés Match has been piss poor.
    Bit harsh. There have been some gems and some forgettable ones, like every football tournament they do. I think people seem to look back on past Apres Matches with rose tinted glasses. Every one of them has had their fair share of duds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

That is a proper classic. "8 full time players and 3 fish" and the line about Lourdes Celtic u-12s are pure genius.

The ones with Andy Reid were fantastic. Fair play to him for doing them, and for letting them rip the piss out him to his face.

The Play it Again Des sketch was brilliant. It must have taken them all day to do it. Andy looks like he's ready to burst out laughing half the time.

Brilliant, hadn't seen that one before. Also they have a Carlow jersey hangin in the background for some reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

One of the best

i love this sketch!...the way the take the piss out of poor old frank stapleton makes me laugh everytime i watch this.

'hes all the way from foreign''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Felexicon wrote: »
    One of the best

Not just one of the best, its THE best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Bit harsh. There have been some gems and some forgettable ones, like every football tournament they do. I think people seem to look back on past Apres Matches with rose tinted glasses. Every one of them has had their fair share of duds.

At least other years they were all originals. Some were good, some sh!te. But this year its been way too many classics and a lot of the originals have been poor

Stevecw wrote: »
    At least other years they were all originals. Some were good, some sh!te. But this year its been way too many classics and a lot of the originals have been poor
    Fair enough, but as has been said before, that's more than likely due to RTE not being able to afford to have new sketches after every game.
    I think the Angela Merkel sketch is up there with the best of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Not just one of the best, its THE best.

The Pat Spillane one wasn't far off either imo. Can't remember the year though

"Ask the director how many All Ireland medals he has"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

My favourite by far :D Love the German ones

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

"I'll start with the lesbian sweat soup" Best one imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

wonga77 wrote: »

Ronaldinho / Ballack Rap off

My kids now are certain I am mad - Just pissed myself watching that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭briany

wonga77 wrote: »

My favourite by far :D Love the German ones

"It was so willy nilly!" :D

One of my favourites:

"The FAI is one of the most organised football associations in Merrion Square" :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Can't beat ol hariy hands.

"Did you smash it? I smashed it, I bet you smashed it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

What are they going out on the streets for?

the streets are for cars

:pac:

gareth southgate :pac::pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

sucky

That was fantastic!!

'I shot him in the face'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Barry Murphy was brilliant.

Glad they didn't have Southgate saying anything, just sitting there smiling.

Had Roy down to a tee again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

:D:D:D How have I not seen this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

:D:D:D How have I not seen this one.

-My grandaughter plays that game and shes 5
    -Does she have Busquets?

Haha

haha i found tonights one very funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Haha!! That was quality!! I love the Kenny Cunningham impression!

And Gilesy barking!! :D:pac::pac:

That was brilliant. Love when they have the actual clips of the boys and then do the voiceover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thought tonight's one was great. Lot's in it....everyone got a lash.

Brady about Kenny's hair had me in stitches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The voiceover ones are some of the best they do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

I think that was the best apres match ever. I was in bits laughing for nearly all of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

Brilliant. Watched it a few times

Advertisement