Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

crash course in jeeping thanks.

• 08-06-2012 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

need a second car. Was thinking of getting some sort of jeep for farming and keep car (passat) as family car. can anybody here give a crash (;)) course in jeeping?? as i don't know anything about them. Will be used for pulling trailers mainly and bits down the field, the ususal craic.. looking for something small and economical..it would have to be a commercial for cheaper tax and insurance...what makes should i look out for and what i should stay away from...any info very welcome..thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I heard of a '12 range rover sport that got rolled and written off down wicklow way, would it suit ya?;) Cost 107k new. All the airbags went off:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Step 1, dont crash!!!!

Whatever you get, put a decent set of all terrain tyres on it if you're planning on taking it down the fields, nowt worse than having to get your jeep pulled out of a wet spot :)

How much weight do you want to tow? how much do you want to spend?

If you can afford one then a landcruiser is the daddy, but not the most economical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

towing about 1.5 tonne at a time. planning to spend between 3 and 4k...looking for nothing fancy.. just something reliable that will do the work without being too thirsty..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

3.1 and 2.8 trooper were bullit proof regardless of milage. 3.0 had injector troubles
    Beware of rot on the chassis.
    Check 4wd locks in correctly

if you're only looking at towing 1.5t and you want economy then take a look at a vitara.

rated to 1850kg and basically is a miniature version of a big jeep, ie seperate chassis, solid rear axle, proper transfer case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Is your land all in one block? If so buy a land jeep that you park on farm and do not use on road, You can run on farm diesel if not used on road.

A VW caddy van is rated to pull 1.8 tonnes so this could do the road work and when no trailer on it it will do 50+MPG

what version is rated to 1800?

http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/caddy-range/caddy-panelvan/specifications/

Looks like 1500 max to me, which would be about right for something based of a mid sized fwd hatchback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Going from memory I believe that the caddy's that were out in the mid noughties were rated either 1750 or 1850 towing capacity. I may be wrong but I am going from memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭limo_100

how are use lads do any of use have or no much about the hi-lux or d-max gona but one or the other. Whats your experience with them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

limo_100 wrote: »
    how are use lads do any of use have or no much about the hi-lux or d-max gona but one or the other. Whats your experience with them??

Used both and would prefer the Toyota. Fairly bulletproof motor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement