Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One reason never to let anyone up on your bike.

• 09-06-2012 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this guy let the old man take it out for a spin or did he just hop on it and take off down the road, I'm sure it will all come out in court.

"A pensioner was fighting for his life in hospital today after crashing his neighbour’s brand new 1000cc superbike - after he had vowed never to ride again.

Bike fanatic George Tawse, 68, hopped on the showroom-fresh Yamaha FZ1 motorcycle after his neighbour pulled up outside his home in Cloverfield Gardens, Aberdeen.

With no safety helmet, Mr Tawse revved the powerful bike before skidding off and crashing further up the street at about 3.30pm yesterday afternoon".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2156516/Grandfather-vowed-hed-ride-left-fighting-life-crashing-neighbours-brand-new-superbike.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Wow.... Hope he pulls through crazy aul fella, hand stand on the bike was funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,412 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-18369284
    A man badly hurt in an Aberdeen motorcycle accident has died, police have said.

The 68-year-old man was injured in Cloverfield Gardens, at the junction with Sclattie Park, in Bucksburn, at about 15:35 on Thursday.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

RIP.

I have seen a similar thing happen at a bike rally about 10 years ago where a young guy (inexperience with sports bikes) took off on a slabside GSXR and planted it into a lamp post, I met the owner of the bike a few years later, he got banned for several years and still lives with it.

I would always remove the keys out and let no one ride it unless they are fully covered by their own insurance or else purchasing it

The old man in this case obviously couldn't handle the power of a modern sports bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I wonder would the new tyres on the presumably new bike have had anything to do with it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

bikes are too scary even when you have your helmet when you get in a crash you can go flying through the air

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Obviously bonkers about bikes

article-0-1381CA64000005DC-23_634x612.jpg

More than once over the years I've sworn to give up biking, but when its in your blood you're fecked!.

RIP old biker.

bikes are too scary even when you have your helmet when you get in a crash you can go flying through the air

So a crash is scary then, not bikes.

+1 Makikomi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

where are i come from there is no way to let the bike, people wont even ask you... its kinda like "unwritten rule" --->follow that and you are safe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

How would the bike insurance work out on this very sad accident??

Would the insurers class it as a theft and recovery,with regards the key still in the bike,and would they pay up on fixing the bike??

I doubt it. He allowed someone uninsured to get up on his bike and drive it (I'm sure the intention of the older man was to take it for a spin up the road and back) so I don't see the insurance paying out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

paddy147 wrote: »
    How would the bike insurance work out on this very sad accident??

Would the insurers class it as a theft and recovery,with regards the key still in the bike,and would they pay up on fixing the bike??

The insurers will only deal with this after the police.

It all depends on what the owner wants to do. He could say the old man TWOC it and nothing will happen to him or he could say he let him ride it and get the book thrown at him.

Keys in the ignition would be difficult but there are plenty or reasons why the keys could have been in the ignition.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The insurers will only deal with this after the police.

It all depends on what the owner wants to do. He could say the old man TWOC it and nothing will happen to him or he could say he let him ride it and get the book thrown at him.

Keys in the ignition would be difficult but there are plenty or reasons why the keys could have been in the ignition.

Was going to say that about the keys in the ignition alright. I mean a lot of what the insurers base your premium on is how secure your bike is (i.e. they ask about whether it will be garaged, any alarm etc.) so you'd imagine they wouldn't exactly be throwing money at someone who left the keys in their brand new bike on street level.

Advertisement