Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Strategy (H)

• 09-06-2012 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

So I think we all know that it is nearly impossible to learn the entire history course and be able to write an A grade answer on every and any aspect. So I'm just wondering how is everyone preparing for the exam and what are your thoughts on what will come up.

I'm personally studying all 3 document based Qs (Obviously) and hoping for India as its not as complex and the Congo but not as simple as French racial tensions.

I'm doing Dictatorship and Democracy: I'm mainly focusing on Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini while Britain's economic problems is a worse case scenario back up.

Pursuit of Sovern: Home rule crisis, Treaty of negotiations, Civil war, Cosgrave's government and the Euharistic congress. Mainly leaving out DeVelara's economic war and obtaining complete Irish independence, as well as Belfast in WW2.

NIRL: Coleraine is my main weapon of choice. I feel that the timeline of NIRL can get very muddled and confusing so its best to stick to case study's background and aftermath :/

So, any thoughts on Wednesday?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

As a past student of History I'd advise ignoring the document-based questions completely unless you're going for an A. I literally did nothing for it last year and got 60/60 for the document. Everyone else in my class spent valuable time learning the 'most likely' document (I can't even remember what it was), and it didn't come up, so I was better off than them having done nothing.

Focus on the three areas you get essays on, then, if you're feeling very confident about those, spend a little time on the document-based question. Otherwise you're wasting your time - that essays only worth 40 marks, every other one is worth 100. ;)

Good luck with the exam guys! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Wattup,

Pursuit of Sovereignty and Impact of Partition 1912 - 1914 :
    -Here I've been learning general essays on both Fianna Fail and Cumann na Ngaedheal for economic policies,social policies ,anglo-irish etc, I may aswell write up an essay on Cosgrave...hmm.
    -Rise of Sinn Fein,I have a feeling this will be up this year.
    -Finally everything about the treaty ,the negotiations and how it led to civil war.

Political and Social Reform 1870-1914:
    -the LAND question all the acts from 1870 to 1912
    -The G.A.A , probably won't come up but this is one of my favorite topics although I may learn something off for the Gaelic League, they usually ask for two in this case.
    -Parnell and HR
    -Butt and HR

Democracy and Dictatorship 1920 - 1945:
    -Rise of Hitler
    -Propaganda under Hitler/Mussolini
    -Weimar Republic
    -Stalin's transformation of the state

Documents Based:
    This section really let me down in the pre's, to be fair I completely ignored it and waffled ending up with something in the 40's bringing my overall result down to 82.

I have an essay learned off for each, may have to go into more detail...I think race relations will come up... who knows!

that's about it at this stage I think, unless I've left something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

I have an awful feeling that if the Eucharistic Congress comes up, it'll be very narrow. Hence why I'm focusing a lot on the Treaty etc. (or will be tomorrow!)
    What about Vichy France; does anyone else have a suspicion that'll turn up? I like D&D as a book, don't mind studying it: it's the two Irish ones that bog me down :/ Rise of Sinn Féin versus decline of Home Rule better come up (: perhaps Butt will be asked as a leader, I thought? Maybe in comparison to Parnell? Wishful thinking, maybe.
    Praying the Congo stays away this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

if france comes up im actually screwed... my teacher thinks that whole case study is a load of bull and as a result she only spent like a day on it, and that was only cause i frantically requested it in may :s

#prayingforindia

if france comes up im actually screwed... my teacher thinks that whole case study is a load of bull and as a result she only spent like a day on it, and that was only cause i frantically requested it in may :s

#prayingforindia

I think its the only interesting one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

looking at past exams the case studies always came up according to my teacher so I'm just learning them and knowing the chapter before and after them.

But with the exams being ****ing ridiculous this year in regard to how narrow and random the question are turning out to be,
    I dont know if it was the best strategy :(

Still the history course is so bloody big how are we supposed to know all of it,
    I have other subjects to worry about and struggle with history,
    Thankfully we have the project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

With the LC being the way it is this year i wouldn't be surprised to see 1/2 topics with nothing from the case studies :(

With the LC being the way it is this year i wouldn't be surprised to see 1/2 topics with nothing from the case studies :(

Thats the only thing I'm worrying about now,

Actually ****ting a brick over it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

Just completely dreading it. I can't even imagine what's going to spring up on that paper with how unpredictable the papers are this year.

I'm trying my best to study for History today but nothing is going in. I feel so disheartened after how Geography went yesterday. :(

Darren.993 wrote: »
    Just completely dreading it. I can't even imagine what's going to spring up on that paper with how unpredictable the papers are this year.

I'm trying my best to study for History today but nothing is going in. I feel so disheartened after how Geography went yesterday. :(

I genuinely didn't think Geography wasn't that bad.
    But it seems to have thrown alot of people.

The only thing that caught me so far was the poets in english p2.

I wouldn't be surprised if points for courses drop this year.
    Because nearly everyone I know doing the LC this year is being crushed by it.
    Either that or they will be marked easier .....I hope :(

But back on topic Im taking the day off from study today and then hitting the history books hard untill the exam and trying my best to have at least a general understanding of all the main topics even if I cant give any specifics like dates and years :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Thats the only thing I'm worrying about now,

Actually ****ting a brick over it :(

Same :confused: For D&D since its such a big course id imagine the 4 qs will have no relevance to the case studies. Im doing Irish 2&3 and they are small enough so there sort of has to be a question with something on the case studies but no guarantees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I can write a fantastic Technology of Warfare essay. I find that stuff really interesting and don't even need to study it, I knew it already. :cool:

Was delighted to see it came up in 2006 and 2009, if they stick to that it'll be on this year. Key word being "was", the papers so far have me wondering. >.<

I've covered Stalin and Lenin so far, going to do a bit on Hitler and Mussolini today. Will also go over India and the Congo, I'd say.

I'm in a spot of bother for the Irish history so I'll need to do a good bit on that, too. :o

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    I can write a fantastic Technology of Warfare essay. I find that stuff really interesting and don't even need to study it, I knew it already. :cool:

Was delighted to see it came up in 2006 and 2009, if they stick to that it'll be on this year. Key word being "was", the papers so far have me wondering. >.<

I've covered Stalin and Lenin so far, going to do a bit on Hitler and Mussolini today. Will also go over India and the Congo, I'd say.

I'm in a spot of bother for the Irish history so I'll need to do a good bit on that, too. :o

Never even heard of that until just now S: It's my teacher's first year teaching for the LC so she was kinda lost tbh; lovely woman, I'm sure she'll pick it up in time, just unfortunate for me, haha.
    Reckon a question on totalitarian state will come up, maybe comparing the dictators? It'd be a nice question so maybe that's just plain wishful thinking. As for the two Irish history sections? Buggered isn't the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ventstep

I really find it hard to structure my essays and don't know how to divide them into pharagraphs.

Could somebody be so nice and post few examples of the titles for each of the pharagraphs in their essays? (best if its from Northern Ireland or Nazis/Hitler/Mussolini)

NinjaDucks wrote: »
    Never even heard of that until just now S:

What textbook are you using? If it's Modern Europe and the Wider World, you can find the Technology of Warfare stuff on pg. 135. Can't help you if it's another book.

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    What textbook are you using? If it's Modern Europe and the Wider World, you can find the Technology of Warfare stuff on pg. 135. Can't help you if it's another book.

Aw, thanks anyway. I'm using a different book, but I've managed to locate the little chapter on it. Looks like quite a nice section actually. I may end up doing it Tuesday night if I'm not confident in the rest. Thanks again (:

Aw, thanks anyway. I'm using a different book, but I've managed to locate the little chapter on it. Looks like quite a nice section actually. I may end up doing it Tuesday night if I'm not confident in the rest. Thanks again (:

No worries.

I'd love the weimar republic to come up :D

HowAreWe wrote: »
    I'd love the weimar republic to come up :D

That wouldn't be too bad a question, actually. You could waffle, provided you know your background etc. if you go blank (and I will go blank, I know it). Here's hoping for a nice paper (:

That wouldn't be too bad a question, actually. You could waffle, provided you know your background etc. if you go blank (and I will go blank, I know it). Here's hoping for a nice paper (:

Just know about 3 things really :

-impact of the treaty of versailles,
    -hyperinflation
    -the impact of the great depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Steffwhite

I have covered:

D&D:
    Mussolini,
    Hitler
    Weimar Gov
    Lenin&Stalin

Pursuit of Sov:
    Sinn Fein
    Factors leading to partition
    Treaty Neg
    CnaG & FF
    Anglo Irish Relations

Movements for Social...
    Parnell
    Land (Killing HR By Kindness would be looooovely!!)
    Unionism
    The GAA
    Am most worried about this section!

...Does anybody think we may see a change in the history paper this year? Given the difficulty/changes in exams already this year? :S

Steffwhite wrote: »
    I have covered:

D&D:
    Mussolini,
    Hitler
    Weimar Gov
    Lenin&Stalin

Pursuit of Sov:
    Sinn Fein
    Factors leading to partition
    Treaty Neg
    CnaG & FF
    Anglo Irish Relations

Movements for Social...
    Parnell
    Land (Killing HR By Kindness would be looooovely!!)
    Unionism
    The GAA
    Am most worried about this section!

...Does anybody think we may see a change in the history paper this year? Given the difficulty/changes in exams already this year? :S

a change? I don't know but I have a feeling all those banking on eucharistic congress and propaganda will get ****ed over.

HowAreWe wrote: »
    a change? I don't know but I have a feeling all those banking on eucharistic congress and propaganda will get ****ed over.

After the Plath/Heaney episode in English I'd be agreeing with you.
    I do hope it comes up because I know it inside out but its not the end of the world if it dosent

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭WestIRL

Everyone here is hoping weimer republic comes up? I thought that it was purely the background to how Hitler rose to power, not that it was a question or topic in itself.....

WestIRL wrote: »
    Everyone here is hoping weimer republic comes up? I thought that it was purely the background to how Hitler rose to power, not that it was a question or topic in itself.....

it's both :) which is why its a handy enough section to know.

Advertisement