Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why isn't it a national priority that we win Eurovision?

• 09-06-2012 12:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

We've won it 7 times.

****in' serious like. The show goes out to about a billion people. It's our chance to be on the map. I've had 4 cans of cheap Polish beer. Why aren't we winning at something we are good at?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Jedward that's why.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I can think of plenty of greater national priorities than winning the feckin' Eurovision tbh. Besides if we did it would only end up costing us a fortune to host the damn thing. And if you're going to drink beer I suggest you drink the decent stuff, the cheap stuff appears to have screwed up your thought processes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I don't understand the "we can't afford to host it" brigade. If we can afford Rose of Tralee every year then we can afford this and I'm no expert on media and monies but I imagine the potential to earn a buck not to mention tourism and all that lark would be ten fold. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

We were good at shooting people and that put us on the map.

Shooting is bad.

Eurovision is bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

because its sh1te?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Because the Eurovision is absolute tripe and it's embarrassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Your national pride is questionable and you should feel bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Augmerson wrote: »
    We've won it 7 times.

****in' serious like. The show goes out to about a billion people. It's our chance to be on the map. I've had 4 cans of cheap Polish beer. Why aren't we winning at something we are good at?

Because its too expensive to host!

Didn't you get the memo after the last time we won ? It's a national prioirty that we lose the Eurovision. Why do you think we sent a Turkey one year and two muppets this year ?

I don't understand the "we can't afford to host it" brigade. If we can afford Rose of Tralee every year then we can afford this and I'm no expert on media and monies but I imagine the potential to earn a buck not to mention tourism and all that lark would be ten fold. :pac:

Surely you're not suggesting that the Rose of Tralee should continue too? Although the production values are pretty non-existent there so I'd say it only costs a fraction of the Eurovision. However it is infinitely more cringe-inducing so if that's the measure of its success then it's great value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

We've won it 7 times.

Why aren't we winning at something we are good at?

Were we ever really good at it?
    "What's another year" was about the best. IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

policarp wrote: »

Rock and Roll kids from 1994 was a decent song I thought. I also liked 'The Voice' from 96.

policarp wrote: »

Obviously never been in the far end of the Jodi stand for this number

Zaph wrote: »
    Surely you're not suggesting that the Rose of Tralee should continue too? Although the production values are pretty non-existent there so I'd say it only costs a fraction of the Eurovision. However it is infinitely more cringe-inducing so if that's the measure of its success then it's great value for money.

I don't know, surely the reason we still have a Eurovision is because whoever gets to host it will make a mint? maybe Ireland wouldn't as the funds would disappear down a black hole but other countries probably make a success of it, on seconds thoughts ya best we don't win isn't it.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

To lose it....is why we sent jedwtard.
    it all makes perfect sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

National priority?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Shooting is bad.

:confused:

Shooting is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Because it is irrelevant

I don't know, surely the reason we still have a Eurovision is because whoever gets to host it will make a mint? maybe Ireland wouldn't as the funds would disappear down a black hole but other countries probably make a success of it, on seconds thoughts ya best we don't win isn't it.:pac:

Well it's rumoured that it cost Azerbaijan over €600m to host this year's event (their official figure is something like €70m). Regardless of the figure, I can't see Azerbaijan attracting that many more tourists to make much of a profit as a result of hosting it.

National priority?!

Come on man, we are never going to pay the IMF/EU back for that Kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

Kebab so bad it was good.

• Advertisement

Feelsgoodman.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Well it's rumoured that it cost Azerbaijan over €600m to host this year's event (their official figure is something like €70m). Regardless of the figure, I can't see Azerbaijan attracting that many more tourists to make much of a profit as a result of hosting it.

Didn't they build a big new fancy lit up lake stadium?

That's a lot of moola, did they build the venue for it though? Sure we'd slap up a tent and treat the dignitaries to tayto and cocktail sausages after :pac:

pisht like meself is it?

Eurovision is impossible to win now that all the Eastern european countries that the immigrants used come out of during the tiger joined and all started voting for each other. Not that it matters or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Where are you going with your fetlocks blowing in the wind ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

That's a lot of moola, did they build the venue for it though? Sure we'd slap up a tent and treat the dignitaries to tayto and cocktail sausages after :pac:

Well we've already had it in a show jumping area:D. I think Twink should host it next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I still reckon ''My Lovely Horse'' should be entered (not literally!)

Classic!!

We don't win because we send shíte songs. End of. None of this political bullshít exists.
    If a song is good enough, it will win, regardless of where it's from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Bleein racist, Azeri is a beautiful country. :pac:

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »

Yeah, but can you get cheap Ryanair flights to there? :D

gurramok wrote: »

Mighty place but when you walk into the hospital they'll ask you for your religion. If you answer anything but "Muslim" they'll throw you out on the street, dieing or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Cause U2 wont pay.
    Westlife are broke.
    And Charlie Haugheys
    scheme is bunched. . .:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,138 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

eth0 wrote: »
    Mighty place but when you walk into the hospital they'll ask you for your religion. If you answer anything but "Muslim" they'll throw you out on the street, dieing or not.

Here they just ask how much money you've got, before deciding whether or not to leave you rotting in a corridor.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Here they just ask how much money you've got, before deciding whether or not to leave you rotting in a corridor.

Its easier to recite a few verses o the koran really. Just blather a few lines of beating your wife and having her stoned after she gets raped and pretend to pass out. Next time you wake up you'll be all patched up and ready for your flight home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Lollers wrote: »
    Where are you going with your fetlocks blowing in the wind ?
    But we have to lose That Sax Solo!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I've checked the map. We are on it, small but definitely there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

and sure who can forget dervish' entry....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

We've won it 7 times.

This Polish beer you mention , how is it ? would it be worth a purchase ?

mattjack wrote: »
    This Polish beer you mention , how is it ? would it be worth a purchase ?

Karapackie. Four cans for 5 Euro. Notbad.jpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

There's no challenge in it any more, it wouldn't be sporting to the other contestants. We've gone to the next musical level which is trying to get Bono to pay his taxes.

• Advertisement

flanum wrote: »

I loved that song, came last but still far better than Jedward's entries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Because we what to waste more money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Doesn't block voting make even a good entry by us pointless these days? Our only real neighbour is the UK whereas most continental countries can rely on multiple "12 votes" if their entry is half decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

PJTierney wrote: »
    Doesn't block voting make even a good entry by us pointless these days? Our only real neighbour is the UK whereas most continental countries can rely on multiple "12 votes" if their entry is half decent.

Didn't make a good entry by Sweden pointless.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

The last 10 yrs or so of our participation have been a national embarassment.

That incestual brother and sister from the midlands, Dustin, Jedward, Dervish.

RTE have a lot to answer for with their talent shows with talentless panels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

It's a tacky glam-fest. Who cares? The country is in a state of chasis, we probably have more important things than the eurovision to be worried about...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

flanum wrote: »
    Holy fúcking jesus my ears are bleeding!!!!

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Didn't make a good entry by Sweden pointless.

She was but you need one hell of a entry for us to have any hope in winning.
    Case in point Russia were second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Jester252 wrote: »
    She was but you need one hell of a entry for us to have any hope in winning.
    Case in point Russia were second

And this country is capable of said entry.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    And this country is capable of said entry.

To bad we will never vote it in though

• Advertisement
Advertisement