Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to replace a ditch

Options
  • 09-06-2012 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Need some advice here. I had a strip of land rented for a while.
    The farmer left me knock a section of a ditch, for use as a landing
    strip for an airplane.

As i am now moving on, i want to replace the section i removed.
    What type of hedge should i plant, some thing that would grow back rather quickly. The ground is not of good quality, very muddy, and very little top soil. The area is very exposed also to the elements.

How would i go about it. I was thinking of building a ditch up with top soil and then plant it. Best plants to use and preparation.
    What time of year to plant.
    Some one mentioned white thorn is easy to plant
    I want the ditch to look full again Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

You'll need to be planting something that blends in with the nearby hedging and is native.
    You should use the REPS guidelines that farmers use themselves.
    Futureforests sell hedging mixtures for REPS planting, check it out here well down the page

http://www.futureforests.net/br_hedging.htm

They are bare root to you'll be preparing now to plant during the dormant bare root season.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What did you do with the rubble when you knocked the ditch, is it stones or all soil? You don't need to use all topsoil to build up a ditch, just a decent layer on top. No matter what you plant it is not going to instantly create a hedge, you would need to put a post and wire fence to give the hedge a chance. As the previous poster said, look at what is in the adjacent hedges and use the same.

Advertisement