Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream Premonition - Any advice

Options
  • 09-06-2012 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All,

Firstly, this is not an advertising thread or other self serving posting about my "spiritual experience" or anything similar, I just seek opinions from average people and perhaps those who might shed some light on what I have experienced. I am a Dubliner who up until recent times didnt believe in folklore or the usual Hollywood "ghost stories" but one thing changed my belief in all things both natural and inexplicable. I'm a male in my late 20's from Dublin City and seek intelligent answers or interpretations on the following:

During December 2005 I was away on holidays in the UK with a few mates of mine, I had no other immediate or distant family members with me and what I experienced is somewhat incredible, shocking and inexplicable. I was asleep in bed in a hotel in London, my mother was in Dublin and I had no prior knowledge of any family member in illness or distress.

In a dream on this particular night, I dreamt of my mother sitting on a unrecognised wooden chair in an unfamiliar room (the chair was something we never had in my house ever either when I was growing up or as an adult, and the room was gloomy and smoky for want of a better word), she was wearing a green cardigan that she never ever wore or at least I had never seen her wearing before, and she was very, very upset.

In my "vision" she was sobbing with her hands on the arms of the chair and when I asked her "Mam, whats wrong??!" she just looked at me and said "lung and breast cancer"... she looked at me with a face of terror sadness and fear... and thats where the dream ended, with no further explanation or information. I woke up in a cold sweat and remembered it vividly.

This dream occured in December 2005 and up until February 2006 (explained shortly|) I was very much upset and disturbed by this dream that I could not make any sense to. It made no logical sense to me as my mother was (is) a healthy woman and the clothes she "wore" in the dream are nothing she wore or wears today. The "lung and breast cancer" didnt make any sense either as this is not a common illness in her family, and no one in her immediate or distant family had died from either illness either.

It was not until one day in late February 2006 that I got a text from a good friend of mine at approximately 08:30 that morning and it said something like "Angels exist but we are not aware of them. At 11 O'Clock this morning you will receive a phone call with some good news. Pass this message on to continue the chain" - as most people would guess, I ignored this as a yet another chain message trying to freak people out. Until this happened.

At 11am the same day I received the text message from my mate, the phone rang in my mam's house and it was my cousin in Australia, who was ringing to tell us that her mum (my aunt) had just died. I had abseloutely no idea that my aunt was unwell let alone had died until I tried to hand over the phone to my man, to talk to my cousin, and my mam so gried with distraught could not talk to my cousin at the time, so I told her (my cousin) that my man would return her call shortly. The angels and the 11 O'Clock thing freaked me out, but the "best" was yet to come.

About a week after my aunt died, my man and myself had a chat about her (my aunt's) passing. At no stage did I ever mention the dream I had about her (my mother) but I did admit that I was concerned for her health (only natural after I had experienced such a vivid and realistic dream). My mam assured me everything was OK and said that I was probably slightly depressed, following the events of late. I accepted this and innocently asked my mam what had caused my aunts death.

My mam then answered that my aunt (her late sister) had died of Lung Cancer, and had previously sufferred from breast cancer approx 15 years earlier. As I was only 23 at the time, and as my aunt lived on the other side of the world, I could never known that she was ever sick, let alone dying when I experienced the dream, especially when I was in London when it happened and my mother was in Dublin. Again I did not mention anything about it as it would likely be very upsetting but I was baffled.

The icing on the cake came in March 2006 when a picture of my late aunt arrived at my mams house from my cousin(s) in Australia, and I was totally knocked down by this, but my aunt (who when this picture was taken when she was suffering from cancer in November 2005) was wearing the EXACT same colour green shade of the SAME material and design cardigan that my own mother was wearing in the dream I had in December 2005 when she said "Lung and breast cancer" to me.

To this day it still send shivers down my spine to think about it, but I would appreciate any insight from GENUINE persons who can shed some light on this matter and perhaps give me some guidance. I dont think I am psychic or a clairvoyant but alot of things have happened since then that defy all logic or human belief and I am somewhat confused as how to go from here. There are also alot of physical things that have happened that I will explain on demand.

This posting is 100% genuine and is not bullsh1t, I have explained everything as clearly as possible but if there are any genuine questions regarding what I described, please reply and I will answer them. No messers or other idiots please, if you dont believe me then please ignore me and keep your opinions to yourself, otherwise please feel free to contribute to my post and ask any questions.

I have since experienced some other unexplained events and dreams but this one puzzles me the most... again if you have any questions please feel free to ask

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

There's no need to be worried about any of these events. Sure of course, they were not nice, but it does not mean you should search for something to make you feel "grounded" again and back to your days before you believed any such phenomena was possible.
    That being said, I don't think that is what you are attempting to do.
    Loads of people get a unique (as in a first time for them) experience and try looking for logical explanations - the problem with that being that they seem to believe logic is sub-servient to empirical grounds.

Basically, what you experienced is something that quite a few people, even on this board alone, report similarly. What you experience does not have to as I say, be something of logic-defiance, but just uncommon in occurrence.

One interpretation a psychologist may give is that you did see a photo beforehand of your aunt, but only a basic viewing, no conscious attention paid towards it, but more sub-conscious, which then relayed into your dream. Even as unlikely as that seems, the real question regards the knowledge of the lung and breast cancer, which again, would have to be regarded sub-consciously, which is almost going too far - but some would accept going this far, do you? Think of your own experience, was there ever a conversation about your aunt for example?

I am not so sure about the part about the angels message from your friend - hard to judge the difference between random coincidence and actual coinciding, where the latter could have been an instinctual spark or unearthly guidance to send it to you at the time. The amount of people who suddenly "feel" they should ring up someone and when they do are greeted with big news, is probably high enough, just not reported much. Do you know what I mean? The former for example, being one of those lotto large prizes odds of happening, the latter actually having a more direct causal (but unobservable) chain.

More than anything, I think if you accept what happened is something of a little more significance (i.e. knowledge of external matters while dreaming), the real question is why was your mother portrayed in the clothes and symptoms of your aunt?
    As for how such events can happen in the first place kind of digresses a little here (and something I'd like to write about some day so I'll stop here in order to keep this entry "relatively short" :D). But that being said, I am no "expert" in this field, I never wholly studied on such topics, and I have little experience myself to go on.

I'm not sure if anything I wrote will help you in some form or another, but hopefully so. I'm not quite sure though what it is you hope to consider from this, so what exactly is going through your mind because of this experience?

If all you want is a little discussion or question-asking then I'm glad you shared your experience, it was an interesting read. Hope I added something of value :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

As RedFFWolf said, these kinds of experiences aren't uncommon and others on here have discussed similar happenings in the past. But, again, as RedFFWolf pointed out, is it at all possible that your aunt in Australia ever cropped up in a conversation (and you later forgot about it) among immediate family members? Just to rule that out for sure, you know.

I've had precognitive dreams about minor, very mundane things from time to time, the most recent being a dream where my dentist's secretary telephoned me on a Tuesday to make an appointment for me to come in (this was in the dream). I had the dream on a Sunday and, sure enough, come Tuesday, the secretary rang me to give me an appointment time. :) I just found it funny.

Obviously it's a hell of a lot more startling, and a lot more likely to make you re-evaluate your whole belief system, when you have dreams concerning life and death situations in your family, and what have you. Even more so when you didn't ever have any belief in stuff like this to start with.

There's a very interesting book, which I read a couple of months back, by Colm Keane named 'Forewarned: Extraordinary Irish Stories of Premonitions and Dreams'. It's full of stories told by people around Ireland, where they experienced premonitions, which Keane compiled for the book. You might find it helps you understand, and come to terms with, your own experiences. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forewarned-Extraordinary-Stories-Premonitions-Dreams/dp/0955913330/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339427110&sr=1-3

Advertisement