Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house

Options
  • 09-06-2012 7:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

So myself and herself have finally decided to move in to together, but she doesn't want the guns in the new house, and I don't really want to move the safe out of the parents place because it's already bolted to the wall and the house is alarmed.
    Can I just leave them where they are as long as I let the gardai know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I know a guy who lived in his own home but kept his guns at his parents but the gardai told him to move them into his own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭shootemall

leave herself at home with the parent and you move in with the guns
    problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Put your foot down and say they are coming with me or you can forget the deal Honey!
    You might as well start out on an agreement that both of you are going to have to compromise to each others faults and follies living together in a relationship.Bet you there are things you dont like about her,or what she does.But you accept them as part and parcel.She is going to have to accept you are a gunowner and you have to have them registerd to your address.Like it or lump it.
    Or if she insists,say ok ,no more.....whatever her favourite hobby/clothes shopping/girls night out is ..Bet you will soon have your gunsafe in your new abode.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No matter what inform the Gardaí of your change of address.

If they insist that the firearms be moved into your new premises then the issue is somewhat moot as to whether your girlfriend wants them in the house or not. The other issue it will raise is you having to choose between the guns, and herself.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Choose?:D:D:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

We all know the new custom .243 will win :D

How will she like all those dead deer hanging up in the shed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭moby30

A certain D###y82 used to be a great lad to go shooting with until he moved in with the missus. Hasn't been seen since:D:D:D the poor lad will have to swap the guns for a Hoover and a dish cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

you will have a pain in your ass running to your parents house to get the guns when ever you want to shoot,also if you go foxing or anything like that and you arent finished until 2or3 in the morning are you going to go and put the guns in to the safe in your parents?they wont like that.
    You will have to teach her that inanimate objects locked up safe and sound cant do her any harm.My missus was the same she didnt feel comfortable with them in the house,i brought her shooting and she softened to it a little and i said straight out i wouldlnt be getting rid of them not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

shootemall wrote: »
    leave herself at home with the parent and you move in with the guns
    problem solved.

Spot on:D You going down a dangerous path there, dictating even before you move in:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

My wife wasn't mad keen on having guns in the house, especially when little people arrived along! She hadn't been raised with guns in her own house either.

Her Father was delighted I had guns, he'd served in Cyprus with the Irish Army and was happy out when I brought him to a range for a bit of shooting.

If I could have got him on an Enfield .303 it would have made his day!

Since bringing my wife out shooting and to range days she's seen that it's not scary or dangerous and is very happy for our kids to learn proper gun safety when the time comes.

Education is key, no-one needs to be dictating...

Avoid making it a "Them or me" situation at all costs, no need of it lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

She will get use to it , mine wouldnt even eat poor little bunnys or birdys, now she goes around telling everybody its the most organic food you can eat.;)

My wife wasn't mad keen on having guns in the house, especially when little people arrived along! She hadn't been raised with guns in her own house either.

Her Father was delighted I had guns, he'd served in Cyprus with the Irish Army and was happy out when I brought him to a range for a bit of shooting.

If I could have got him on an Enfield .303 it would have made his day!

Since bringing my wife out shooting and to range days she's seen that it's not scary or dangerous and is very happy for our kids to learn proper gun safety when the time comes.

Education is key, no-one needs to be dictating...

Avoid making it a "Them or me" situation at all costs, no need of it lad.

C'mon lighten up:D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

You just have to let her know you're the king of the castle. It always worked for Ralph (NOT)

312k9hh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

You have to do it in stages, Tell her they gun's "have" to move into the new house. but you understand where she's coming from and to compromise your going to leave the bolt's and ammo in the parents.

Then when the safe's well bolted in, come in one day effing and blinding the super and say he isn't having that set up and instructed you to have all parts and ammo in your control..... and now he's the bad guy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Well lads thanks for the feedback, but I was really looking to know if it is possible to do what I was talking about. She's not dictating at all, it's a mutual decision. I would prefer to leave the guns in the parents house because (a) I already have a very good security system there, and (b) there is someone there 90% of the time whereas the place I'm moving into will be empty from 7am until 9pm most days. Going to the parents house to collect the guns won't be a problem, because I'm over there everyday to work on the farm, and I have a spare gun safe that I'm going to put in the new place for temporary storage after a nights lamping. Before ye say why don't I just keep them in that safe I'll just repeat myself and say that the guns are safer where they are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Unless the Gardai allow you to leave them in your parents (unlikely), the other option is to get one of your parents to license them too (expensive). When I started shooting I was house sharing with all sorts of undesirables and used to get my Dad to license the guns too and keep them in his house. Of course we had the €6 license back then for 2nd shotties and I only had 1 rifle so it was cheap enough to do and the local FO licensed my Dad no problem when we explained why we wanted to do it. I'm not sure how strict the regs are on this, but can you have 2 addresses with the guns stored in 1 (the parents)? If you were to remain on the electoral register at your parents address for example, would that allow you to keep the guns there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I may be wrong on this (and please correct me if I am) but 4.3 of the FCAI form deals with Security Arrangements.
    It asks if you have complied with the provisions of the Firearm(Secure Accommodation) Order 2009 Y or N
    If the firearm is to be stored at an address other than your home address(i.e Declan in your case the new house) you simply provide the addess(i.e parents house) and the address of the local Garda station.

It is down to the Super after that but Declan in your case I would assume that you would have a good case in arguing that the guns are safe/safer where they are.After all you got licences for them at your parents address.
    The issue of dual licencing arises(I think) only where 2 people want to use the firearm and there is a possibility that the firearm is stored at both addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

There is a possibility too Declan from what you described of declaring both your abodes as addresses where they will be stored.
    Had this once with my GF too,and in the end the GS aid it was better off storing at my place as the security was better.
    Also, if the GS are worried about access when you are not there in the evenings,you will be the only person with the keys to the safe in your personal possesion at all times to prevent unauthorised access by your parents.:eek::rolleyes:

Seeing that it isnt "a partner problem" your best bet would be chat to the FO.Explain that the alarms and safe are in your parents house,you are over there almost every day,you have the sole access to the keys,there are more people around the farm to keep an eye on things than your new empty house,and its going to takewahile to set up the alarm system etc..
    And you are going to register the guns at both addresses.
    I dont think any FO/Super is going to argue that those kind of security arrangements are better than leaving therm in an unalarmed empty house.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

In the future I can see the guns in your abode with your mrs.
    I kept mind in my folks while I was moving around. When I moved in with herself I had them in her folks as I was doing a lot of shooting near her homestead. I never got an ultimatum but she wasnt comfortable with them in the house. As my permissions and shooting buddies grew it became more and more an inconvenience to travel to get them, so the guns came home. When she saw how the safe was hidden (I believe everyone should hide there safe either timber paneling/plaster board/under floor boards, whatever) she was cool with it. I didn't think hiding them would solve the issue. Might work for yourself too. They would have come home anyway but it's better to have her onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

Is there not a section on the licence app that deals with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Yup,see post #18

With what? getting rid of the Girlfriend:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Just take her out for a few shots, My missus hated guns untill she came to the range with me one day and now she has her own.:p:D

Advertisement