Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite "I told you so"

• 09-06-2012 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

So as we all know, most of those international every-country-contributes-an-opinion bits the sports sites have been doing, with a sports journo from each country hit up for a few opinions, basically has the same line about Ireland- great manager but not enough quality to get through. Obviously one or two have tipped us as a dark horse.

So, just for a laugh, what are your personal favourite I told you so's? The issues where you went completely against the opinion of fans of your team, or the football media in general? Your initial rating of a player the world rated as rubbish/ brilliant but since blossomed/ flopped? Your tip for a seemingly rubbish team that went the distance. Results, managers etc etc.

Mine:

Dalglish Appointment
    I knew from the start the Dalglish appointment woudnt go well. Couldnt understand why other Liverpool fans had so much faith in it. Too long out of a game that had changed a whole lot since his day. However, by wouldnt go well I imagined a dour campaign of no real fire or ambition. I hadnt really banked on drunken sailor spending and the worst handling of a PR crisis (Suarez) that any PL club has seen in recent memory. tbh I still will take a while to begin loving Liverpool again after the embarassing nonsense of that era (not the results in so much as the attitude)

Anderson of United.
    I consistently personally rated him as the worst top 4 player in the EPL. Almost overnight the opinion of United fans changed from world class to agreeing.

Capello and England
    Everyone predicted he could be the man to make England a genuine trophy winning force again. I, on the other hand, saw things alot differently. In spite of his record, his abilities at man management were atrocious- memory of how he tried to shunt Beckham out of Madrid and was left looking foolish when Becks came back into superb form but had already started LA Galaxy negotiations did it for me. Being honest I thought that I had called it wrong after how they stormed to WC2010 qualification. However, internal Terry led mutiny on that trip, bad feeling in the squad over how he handled Terry vs Bridge, then using the Terry issue as an excuse to abandon a team in 2012 that he realised he had no hope of moulding into a winning unit. It just to me summed up that he was now in a position where if he had a troublesome player he could just sell them and get another good one, which isnt exactly the way international selections go. Possibly the worst stint any renowned manager has found themselves in.

Glazers at United- Probably a bit too easy but I really didnt see this as being the death of the club like some saw it. Of course since the takeover they have been more successful than anyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Congratulations you win .....

i_may_not_always_be_right_but_i_am_never_wrong_mug-p168650534022169898envqn_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Jesus check the intro, its only for a laugh like ;) For proof Im not psychic check my old betting slips :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

So as we all know, most of those international every-country-contributes-an-opinion bits the sports sites have been doing, with a sports journo from each country hit up for a few opinions, basically has the same line about Ireland- great manager but not enough quality to get through. Obviously one or two have tipped us as a dark horse.

So, just for a laugh, what are your personal favourite I told you so's? The issues where you went completely against the opinion of fans of your team, or the football media in general? Your initial rating of a player the world rated as rubbish/ brilliant but since blossomed/ flopped? Your tip for a seemingly rubbish team that went the distance. Results, managers etc etc.

Mine:

Dalglish Appointment
    I knew from the start the Dalglish appointment woudnt go well. Couldnt understand why other Liverpool fans had so much faith in it. Too long out of a game that had changed a whole lot since his day. However, by wouldnt go well I imagined a dour campaign of no real fire or ambition. I hadnt really banked on drunken sailor spending and the worst handling of a PR crisis (Suarez) that any PL club has seen in recent memory. tbh I still will take a while to begin loving Liverpool again after the embarassing nonsense of that era (not the results in so much as the attitude)

Anderson of United.
    I consistently personally rated him as the worst top 4 player in the EPL. Almost overnight the opinion of United fans changed from world class to agreeing.

Capello and England
    Everyone predicted he could be the man to make England a genuine trophy winning force again. I, on the other hand, saw things alot differently. In spite of his record, his abilities at man management were atrocious- memory of how he tried to shunt Beckham out of Madrid and was left looking foolish when Becks came back into superb form but had already started LA Galaxy negotiations did it for me. Being honest I thought that I had called it wrong after how they stormed to WC2010 qualification. However, internal Terry led mutiny on that trip, bad feeling in the squad over how he handled Terry vs Bridge, then using the Terry issue as an excuse to abandon a team in 2012 that he realised he had no hope of moulding into a winning unit. It just to me summed up that he was now in a position where if he had a troublesome player he could just sell them and get another good one, which isnt exactly the way international selections go. Possibly the worst stint any renowned manager has found themselves in.

Glazers at United- Probably a bit too easy but I really didnt see this as being the death of the club like some saw it. Of course since the takeover they have been more successful than anyone.
    Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is going to end well.

I always knew that Spurs would go into receivership when 'arry took over*

*bookmark this post! :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is that you Father Joe?

" I think I should get the parachute because I'm great. In fact, I think I should get both the parachutes, in case one of them doesn't work!"

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

This thread is going to be locked soon.*

*Bookmark this, and i'll start a thread when its locked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Anderson is not even the worst player at United,never mind the top 4 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This thread sums up the posts i detest the most!!! People who quote their own posts that contains an opinion that turns out to be true!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

By the way, can you explain your Glazer remark??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Mine:

Dalglish Appointment

Anderson of United.

Capello and England

Cool stories bro!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

DDC1990 wrote: »
    This thread is going to be locked soon.*

*Bookmark this, and i'll start a thread when its locked!

only if people continue to find the need to only reply with posts which add nothing to the forum like below
    Cool stories bro!

My favourite I told you so moment was when I went to Villa vs Leeds in the cup with my father (Leeds fan) and spent the walk to the ground telling him how good Benito Carbone was. Then when the players were warming up he spent most of the time belittling Benito for his hairband, long hair etc calling him a girl (only really doing it to wind me up though). Carbone went on to score a hat trick as Villa won 3-2... I felt pretty damn smug at that moment :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I really shouldn't bother as I know exactly how this wil be received but I wouldn't be too confident that you have been proven right just yet.

About 2 years ago, I argued that United are between 3 and 4 years behind Liverpool, i.e. I expect them to follow a similar trajectory to that which Liverpool have gone through since Gillet and Hicks took over.

Naturally, United have far superior revenues, a better squad and more so it isn't exactly going to unravel at seems rapidly but I do suspect that they are going to slide quite a bit unless the ownership and financial situation at the club changes in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

When Nani came to Manchester Utd my brothers were persistently telling me he would never develop into a great player, he would end up somewhere like Bolton. I was sure Nani would turn out to be class for us and I suppose now he's one of Utd's best players.

They have a similar opinion of De Gea now, but once again, I believe he will turn out to be a world class goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Mine:
    Anderson of United.

Capello and England

Anderson is the worst player at the top 4? And over what night did all United fans suddenly realise you were some sort of visionary? He isn't even the worst player at his own club. At the start of the season, he was well ahead of Darron Gibson in the pecking order, before Anderson got injured.

United started the season off like a house on fire with Cleverley & Anderson in the middle (1-2 away at WBA, 3-0 at home to Spurs, 8-2 at home to Arsenal), where they were both quite effective albeit leaving a lot of space for the opposition to create chances. It's a shame he got injured so he couldn't build on that.

To say he is "the worst player in the top 4", shows you aren't terrible familiar with the United squad, or City, Spurs & Arsenal for that matter. Not sure why you would compare him with players in other positions, but if you are into such business:

Bébé, Owen, Hargreaves, Amos, Macheda, Savic, Park Chu-Young, Gibson. Most of these players were at top 4 clubs before the start of last season. Many of them have since left because they were the "worst" players. The ones who remain are still behind Anderson.

Not saying he is great, or even good, but certainly not "the worst".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Just the season gone. Everyone seemed sure that spurs would finish above Arsenal. I maintained the belief that they would choke and be lucky to stay in the top four. I think I said they would finish fifth behind Chelsea. They finished fourth but Chelsea got the last Champions League place so I was kinda right :pac:

That's the main one, others are mostly down to luck with keeping faith in certain players. Flamini, Eboue and Song worked out. Senderos, Aliadiere and Reyes not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

This one hasn't reached it's fulfillment yet but Ferguson should have retired after the 2010/11 season when they won the title.

Just before City overtook them.

He will do very well to regain the title again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

That Hazard would sign for Chelsea over Manchester clubs

Celtic will still win SPL despite being 15 points behind in November

Man City would still win title before i knew result of Wigan v Utd

Man City would beat QPR, i believed until the end

Barcelona would not retain Champions League, and Guardiola wouldn't stay another season

Madrid would win La Liga

Dortmund would win Bundesliga

That Venkys wouldn't fire Kean

And the worst of all......... Torres would be a flop at Chelsea. Even though he was a top player, like Sheva, he was not a signing by manager but by Roman, like Sheva. Neither were for benefit of team, or could play a role in the current system Chelsea had.

And thats just this season...............( except Torres)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

It is easy to say you thought something after it has happened.How many actually posted here saying it before it happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

I told my brain before I opened this thread that there would be people on the first page belittling the op for starting such a thread,I told you so brain...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

yomtea98 wrote: »
    It is easy to say you thought something after it has happened.How many actually posted here saying it before it happened?

I probably did post most of it. Fcuked if I care to search and re post my Damodamus world shattering quatrains! :pac:

"And from the blue mid east, the scarlett satans shall be towered over in 2012, the end of time"

Ive seen Nostradamous writings, they are so vague he well could have done that one for City :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

I probably did post most of it. Fcuked if I care to search and re post my Damodamus world shattering quatrains! :pac:
    Fair enough.

Advertisement