Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quilt festival

Options
  • 09-06-2012 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Has anyone been to the Quilt Festival in NUIG. It started yesterday. I'm thinking of going but don't really want to fork out €15 without knowing whether it's worth it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If you really really really love quilts and quiltiness you'd be there :cool:
    They have a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

snubbleste wrote: »
    If you really really really love quilts and quiltiness you'd be there :cool:
    They have a website.
    Didn't think you could still get tickets actually.
    You'd want to really really really like quilts.

I've seen some of the exhibits and they really are works of art.
    Have you ever wondered how to make an intricate colourful quilt from raw cotton, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I've seen some of the exhibits and they really are works of art.
    Have you ever wondered how to make an intricate colourful quilt from raw cotton, have you?
    My mums a quilter so I genuinely had considered getting tickets for it for her but they were expensive ( didn't see 15 quid ones). It's a beautiful art.

You can see some of the quilts without paying.
    There are some on open display along the concourse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

There is a huge quilt of the Last Supper in the Cathedral today.Its from Texas,its on display this afternoon and from 9am tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Shouldn't this be in the father ted forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

You can see some of the quilts without paying.
    There are some on open display along the concourse.

Is it a display of quilts and workshops or are there suppliers and cloth merchants etc. there?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 hiagain

Got a 3 day pass for €10 this evening - at around 4 p.m. I know that on the website a 3 day pass was quoted at €28 and a one day €15, which was where I got the €15 from.

I know that at least one cloth merchant was approached to have a stand there, but the stands were extremely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

It clashed with the Watching Paint Dry Championship so I couldn't make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

finlma wrote: »
    It clashed with the Watching Paint Dry Championship so I couldn't make it.

Quilting is a skilled craft and the best examples are some of the finest examples of folk art existing today.

There are other objective criticisms to be made of the craft and quilt/fabric scene in Ireland, but 'its boring' is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I wouldn't be into quilting myself, but was working in NUIG over the weekend anyway so had a look and was pleasantly suprised. There were some stunning quilts! I was also surprised by the numbers of people. Overall it seemed well organised. The number of buses coming and going was quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

kinetic wrote: »
    Shouldn't this be in the father ted forum?

Is there one?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 hiagain

Very glad I went. My older kid was mildly entertained too - there was a quilt that was a QR code that captured his imagination. Overall there were a couple of hundred quilts?? maybe? Lots appealed, some didn't, but the workmanship was very impressive regardless. Unfortunately I forgot my camera, but I felt compelled to take lots of photos on my phone. I think it was well organised, but it did feel a little like an Irish theme-park at places - you could learn how to pull a pint of guinness and so on. There seemed to have been a good few work-shops which you paid for separately. The antique quilts from Ireland and Northern Ireland were interesting (some from the 1800's). Because of the amount of time and love that goes into making a quilt, I would have loved a little more info on the history of some of the quilts. I didn't buy anything from any of the vendors and to be honest I wasn't blown away by the material available, but then there were a lot of older women there who may have very traditional taste. I'm not a quilter but I do love material. I think (know for a fact) that some vendors were put off by the high cost of the stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Is this still on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Is this still on?

No it ran Friday to Sunday, but will be on again next year at the beginning of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Is this still on?

No it ran Friday to Sunday, but will be on again next year at the beginning of June.
    Pity I missed this. Glad to hear its on next yr. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Was working at this over for the weekend. Was a good buzz around NUIG, especially on Sat and Sun when the sun came out. Not into quilting myself at all, but some were very impressive.

There was even a room of 3D quilts you could view with 3D glasses! :eek:

The festival brought thousands of tourists (loads of Americans) to the city so would have given a lot of businesses a boost over the weekend.

Advertisement