Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project maths 2012 theorems, proofs, axioms

• 09-06-2012 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,
    I looked at the project maths syllabus and it lists loads of theorems and proofs you need to know, but then after it says stuff like "students will only be examined of proofs marked with *" and "students will not be examined on proofs". So, just like the project maths course, the whole thing is sloppy and pointless.
    So can someone just tell me what I need to know (proofs, axioms, theorems, constructions) that can be asked on the exam, and that i need to be able to prove, or to what extent do I need to know them. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I heard somewhere theorems 11,12 and 13 are the only ones you need to know and that would ever be asked about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Osric

You might need to know how to prove the Cos(A+B), Tan(A+B) and such

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thepikminman

HowAreWe wrote: »
    I heard somewhere theorems 11,12 and 13 are the only ones you need to know and that would ever be asked about.
    I think we also have proof by contradiction.

Osric wrote: »
    You might need to know how to prove the Cos(A+B), Tan(A+B) and such
    Are you sure, cos if we do, thats f***** up.

I found what I was looking for here: http://irishjip.wordpress.com/2011/10/25/leaving-cert-project-maths-proofs-for-2012/
    but if anyone else has additional information please post it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I just have to make sure, I was under the impression it was different:

If I learn those 4/5, I'm guaranteed to be able to answer question 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Right, I'll try my hand at this.

Theorems:- you need to be able to apply all the theorems, as in have a basic understanding of and apply them in questions but the ones that are examinable, i.e. They can ask you to reproduce and prove in the exam are numbers 11,12 and 13 along with proof by contradiction.

Constructions:- I'm not sure about these but I think all are examinable. My teacher only did a selected few with us which he thinks can come up because many of the 22 constructions are very JCish but I think all are examinable.

Trigonometry:- there are 9 trig proofs that my teacher did with us and told us we need to know.

And in transformation geometry, there's problems involving enlargements as well.

EDITED TO ADD:- and there are a good few definitions you need to learn as well, relating to both strands 1 and 2, unfortunately.

If you have the edco exam papers, all this is mentioned in its first few pages and I hope it's correct.

*this is what *I* know and think is correct, I'm not a 100% sure so I'd love if someone could double check and correct me if I'm wrong somewhere. *

Hope that helped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

cocopopsxx wrote: »

Theorems:- you need to be able to apply all the theorems, as in have a basic understanding of and apply them in questions but the ones that are examinable, i.e. They can ask you to reproduce and prove in the exam are numbers 11,12 and 13 along with proof by contradiction.

Constructions:- I'm not sure about these but I think all are examinable. My teacher only did a selected few with us which he thinks can come up because many of the 22 constructions are very JCish but I think all are examinable.

Trigonometry:- there are 9 trig proofs that my teacher did with us and told us we need to know.

And in transformation geometry, there's problems involving enlargements as well.

If you have the edco exam papers, all this is mentioned in its first few pages and I hope it's correct.

*this is what *I* know and think is correct, I'm not a 100% sure so I'd love if someone could double check and correct me if I'm wrong somewhere. *

I think thats most of it, but you need examples for proof by contradiction, e.g. that root2 is irrational.

Also don't forget the cosine rule and sine rule proofs are examinable, as well as the other trig proofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

cocopopsxx wrote: »

You're right.
    You need to know all the theorems to use in doing questions, to help you make assumptions and find the answers. Theorems 11,12 and 13 are formally examinable.

You need to know all the constructions. They are piss though.

I've seen in sample papers that they have asked for proofs of (sin squared x + cos squared x = 1) and (cosA+cosB) and some of those as mentioned above.
    Proof by contradiction also.
    And all the information on data sampling has to be learned.
    Trig proofs? Maybe, don't recall them. Unless they're in the theorems.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

lorrieq wrote: »

You're right.
    You need to know all the theorems to use in doing questions, to help you make assumptions and find the answers. Theorems 11,12 and 13 are formally examinable.

I've seen in sample papers that they have asked for proofs of (sin squared x + cos squared x = 1) and (cosA+cosB) and some of those as mentioned above.

Thanks for the clarification about the constructions. :)

By trig proofs I mean the sin squared x + cos squared x=1, sin and cosines rule and others like that, we call them trig proofs in our school. There are 9 of them we did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

Oh cool, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

lorrieq wrote: »
    You're right.

Those are trig proofs. There are 9 of them, including sine and cosine rules. Most of them are easy though cos(A-B) is hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Also you need to define corralary and axiom and give an example of each

Advertisement