Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Define" Trespassing".

• 09-06-2012 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Can a person walk onto someones property uninvited ?. ie open a gate ,on which there are signs stating beware of dog,then proceed to walk around house knocking on doors and windows.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

ganger wrote: »
    Can a person walk onto someones property uninvited ?. ie open a gate ,on which there are signs stating beware of dog,then proceed to walk around house knocking on doors and windows.

Well yes and no. If that person came onto your property and looked around knocked on doors and window as you said. I dont tink that trespassing. But if you warn the to get off your property and they continue to stay on your property, that would be trespassing. Id say they were looking for directions, you or seeing if there was anybody home. If I were you id report it to the gards, just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ganger

Thanks for reply, but seeing a sign on a gate clearly stating private and that there are dogs and still entering ,is that in itself not enough to show that no uninvited callers are wanted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Many many threads on this and some very recent. They contain better answers than I can provide. There is also an excellent discussion on how a beware of the dog sign may open you up to liability if your dog injurs a tresspasser.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ganger

Thanks for replying,regarding dog beware sign,how would it open me to liability if some-one was injured.Imean you are giving warning as to the presence of dogs ,so would it not be the peron is entering with the knowledge that dogs are present.what sign would be more suitable ?

You need to do a good search and have a read of the threads here.

In a nutshell - you owe a duty of care to tresspassers under the Occupiers Liability Act 1995. That duty is one not to act with reckless disregard. You can not contract out of this duty, by sign or other means, so all it does is inform the otherside you knew the dog was dangerous but still allowed to to injur someone. If its a child then its argued your duty of care will be higher still.

There is a way to word the sign - it escapes me if it was definatively answered in the other thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

There is a way to word the sign - it escapes me if it was definatively answered in the other thread.

I think its "Be aware of the dog" but im not sure

keithb93 wrote: »
    I think its "Be aware of the dog" but im not sure

LOL and people wonder why lawyers get a bad name :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

ganger wrote: »
    Thanks for replying,regarding dog beware sign,how would it open me to liability if some-one was injured.Imean you are giving warning as to the presence of dogs ,so would it not be the peron is entering with the knowledge that dogs are present.what sign would be more suitable ?

It indicates a pre-exisiting knowledge of the danger posed by your dog.

Advertisement