Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house with new landlord, need safety advice

Options
  • 09-06-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi, we decided to move in to a new house, there are a few bits that we weren't happy with and landlord promised to change them asap, they are:
    -change couches (i showed him a set on adverts for 200e and we agreed i should pick them up with him covering the costs)
    -house need painting inside/outside (he said he will be more than happy to provide paint if i do the work myself)
    -grass will be cut
    -sometime during the summer back boiler will be fitted and chimney cleaned

I don't wan't to walk into this house and pay my deposit without making sure he keeps his word, he seems like a nice guy in general but don't we get burned by the nice guys :) Please advice me on a letter format or some-sort of agreement i can get him to sign in order to preserve this agreement,
    Thank you, Anton

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

crazyFeet wrote: »
    Hi, we decided to move in to a new house, there are a few bits that we weren't happy with and landlord promised to change them asap, they are:
    -change couches (i showed him a set on adverts for 200e and we agreed i should pick them up with him covering the costs)
    -house need painting inside/outside (he said he will be more than happy to provide paint if i do the work myself)
    -grass will be cut
    -sometime during the summer back boiler will be fitted and chimney cleaned

I don't wan't to walk into this house and pay my deposit without making sure he keeps his word, he seems like a nice guy in general but don't we get burned by the nice guys :) Please advice me on a letter format or some-sort of agreement i can get him to sign in order to preserve this agreement,
    Thank you, Anton

Good luck...Will be interested to see what other suggest as I never had much success in this area..
    One house; I did get the hot pink bedroom walls painted white as part of the deal.... That house is sill advertises as "Landlord will maintain garden and cut the grass." he cut it once during the 18 months we were there.

I would get things done before moving in; the deadline idea works best.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

yea, im quite skeptical this time too, but i want to see his reaction when i hand him in this paper to sign, he seems like a very nice guy and i heard good stuff from the locals though... if anyone can help or advice on a letter structure will be hugely appreciated, signing the lease agreement this eve or tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If it was me and there was significant work needed like furniture replaced or decorating needs doing then I would consider something like withholding the deposit/first months rent until it was sorted. Far too easy for a landlord to make promises and then drag their heals once you are in the place. Depends on how urgent the work is I suppose.

djimi wrote: »
    If it was me and there was significant work needed like furniture replaced or decorating needs doing then I would consider something like withholding the deposit/first months rent until it was sorted. Far too easy for a landlord to make promises and then drag their heals once you are in the place. Depends on how urgent the work is I suppose.

It is the only way to get anything done. We have been trying for two years to get the ll to pay for the power to his electric fences and other none emergency maintenance.. took 18 months to get the gutters fixed and then by devious means.

Letters ignored and we have certainly found how to keep an inquisitive ll away...So finally we wrote to the agent and said we are withholding this month's rent to recoup the money.. no reply to that either but we have laid a paper trail. Standing order suspended for June than back on in July.

I would not trust any ll to keep promises like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭nhg

I would imagine having a back boiler fitted to an existing fireplace would be quiet a big job, not one I would like to have done while I was living in the house! It would need to be done before you move in.

Best of luck & remember the majority of LL are honest people, we just tend to hear about the bad ones.

• Advertisement

nhg wrote: »
    I would imagine having a back boiler fitted to an existing fireplace would be quiet a big job, not one I would like to have done while I was living in the house! It would need to be done before you move in.

Best of luck & remember the majority of LL are honest people, we just tend to hear about the bad ones.

I agree re the back boiler being a total upheaval.

Wish I had your faith re LLs. We are on our 7th and never a really honest one yet ie one who kept the promises he made to get us in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

The LL is getting a great deal with you offering to paint the house for the price of paint. Similarily getting the grass cut will probably be done,however the back boiler will cost 1000s, so I wouldn't be confident of the LL doing it, and like others said, it will cause huge disruption.

The LL is getting a great deal with you offering to paint the house for the price of paint. Similarily getting the grass cut will probably be done,however the back boiler will cost 1000s, so I wouldn't be confident of the LL doing it, and like others said, it will cause huge disruption.

Presumably this is to heat the water and save fuel and to me is essential in these times. If he has said he will do it then do it he should.

Cost surely depends on existing plumbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Graces7 wrote: »

Presumably this is to heat the water and save fuel and to me is essential in these times. If he has said he will do it then do it he should.

Cost surely depends on existing plumbing.
    a back boiler is not that effective, there are better ways to achieve the same result eg solar, stove.
    Of course he should do it if he has committed to it, I'm just giving a warning that he might not realise what's involved, and may try to back out.

a back boiler is not that effective, there are better ways to achieve the same result eg solar, stove.
    Of course he should do it if he has committed to it, I'm just giving a warning that he might not realise what's involved, and may try to back out.

I beg to disagree here. We rent an old farmhouse where the only heating is a wood burner with a back boiler. No electric immersion even.

It heats the water tank and several radiators. Keeps the upstairs snug. We bank it up with slack and ashes at night and the water is still hot in the morning.

Even when we had a house with an ordinary fire and a back boiler, it heated water and also radiators.

It is using heat that would else be wasted.

And yes he will try to back out and postpone etc and it is sheer hell pestering a ll over these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Why are you bothering? It sounds like the writing is already the walls.

The furniture is old/ damaged
    ThR outside of the house needs painting
    The inside of the house needs painting
    The fireplace is dirty & needs seeping
    There is an issue with waterheating.

Arnt there enough empty houses on the Market without putting yourself in a situation where you are already stressing about this man & his promises.

You are almost paying for a service and are:

Driving about picking up furniture
    Arranging for removal of old couches
    Letting him
    Owe you money for same
    Painting his house free Of charge ; inside & out
    Stressing about drawing up contracts/ letters to make sure he does it

Walk away.

Edit:!
    Also!!
    Installing a back boiler is a huge and Filthy job that is also extremely expensive. It seems that he has indicated that this will be done depending on the cost of the plumbing!! There's his out already; it will be too expensive; particularly I'm guessing for a (wo)man who is happy to buy couches for e200; & not pay someone to paint the house; or deduct half the rent for provision of same services. He may be a " nice guy" but he dosnt sound like a great landlord. They are in the business of making a profit. & the courts & sites are littered with broken landlord promises...

( I'm so cynical but I think I'm right!!)

Find somewhere lovely to live & just move in!!! Leave this bad deal behind before you get badly stung & have a bad experience.

bTW : if you don't paint up to his expected standard: or spill some ; will you also loose your deposit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I agree with the above. Unless this place is amazing or is dirt cheap or something I dont think Id bother. The landlord could be on the level and everything could be sorted within a month, but for me alarm bells would be ringing and I would be very wary that youd find yourself into January with old furniture, badly decorated walls and no boiler!

Also tell him to go jump at the notion that youll paint the walls! If you really want to do it yourself then come to an agreement to deduct paint and your labour from the first months rent.

we have been looking for renting a house 3-4 moths now, observing the market for even longer (Sligo town), there are loads of lovely houses but out of our budget (500e). this house was 550 but we agreed on 500 deposit and 125 weekly which is great value and comfortable arrangement of payment (no months rent upfront). the area is superb, no Adidas wearing idiots etc... couches are ok, but it was our demand to change them, he could'f refused but didn't. i'm thinking if something does go wrong, just move out after the summer and hold up the rent for couple of weeks not too lose money as it won't be very fair to us, this is the last option

we have been looking for renting a house 3-4 moths now, observing the market for even longer (Sligo town), there are loads of lovely houses but out of our budget (500e). this house was 550 but we agreed on 500 deposit and 125 weekly which is great value and comfortable arrangement of payment (no months rent upfront). the area is superb, no Adidas wearing idiots etc... couches are ok, but it was our demand to change them, he could'f refused but didn't. i'm thinking if something does go wrong, just move out after the summer and hold up the rent for couple of weeks not too lose money as it won't be very fair to us, this is the last option

Great example of how lls can get away with so much. No way would most of us touch this house with things as they are.

Of course he will bend over backwards to get you in; and 125 works out as well over 500 a month. Work it out?

ah well, your choice and to ignore all the advice given also. Rather you than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

ust move out after the summer and hold up the rent for couple of weeks not too lose money as it won't be very fair to us, this is the last option
    classic example of how tenants are ready to go back on an agreement.
    I had tenants hear what they want. Get anything agreed in writing. Read it and both stick with it.
    I told a tenant I would pay for paint once I approved the colour. I would pick it up and provide any equipment and even help.
    Tenant tries to break lease as I didn't paint the place (it was freshly painted before they moved in). Claimed I had said I would paint it but I had explained as above and in writing.
    I had replaced the sofa as he said the sofa was too big for the room. It was good quality and comfortable but probably a little big. He picked the sofa and I warned him it was not a comfortable sofa and prone to damage which he would have to pay for. Wanted it got it.
    When he wanted to move out he stopped paying his rent because I would keep his deposit. Bloody right walls destroyed with nails, sofa destroyed with burn marks, filth and broken handles, hinges etc.
    Pretty much if a tenant asks for things now at the start I say no. Trust has to be earned and I need to see that the tenant will stay.

Why anybody would want to rent a place where messy construction occurs is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

i live in sligo as well and have had a bad time with the houses and landlords here but my current one seems pretty good, but this is the seventh i've had in six years!

in my experience, there are plenty of cowboys who will tell you anything to get you in and get your money. if they won't do a small job before you move in i think it's very optimistic to think he will do a big one after he has you in the lease. also, in my experience, the little voice in your head who tells you something isn't right should be heeded. we can be so stressed about moving we rush into bad agreements.

i had a landlord who kept draggin his feet to paint the room which had mold growing right above my bed. i insisted he use paint which repels mold (i even told him where to get it) otherwise it would grow right back. finally i told him i would do it and just deduct the price of the paint from the rent. he jumped at that. great deal for him. though he wasnt happy when he saw the receipt as that paint was not the cheap crap he used, and i told him i had to buy another can to finish it. he sneered and said 'is that the end of the decorating, then?'. when i was maintaining his property. boy i was dumb. i thought he was nice too when i moved in. and then any time something needed fixing, it was never done on time or done well or done by a professional. just by him, when it suited him, to the best of his jack of all trades master of none abilities.

you are basically sorting everything for him, why should he bend over backwards to do anything himself. he may seem nice but i really think you are living in dreamworld if you think he's going to to install a back boiler for you after you move in considering he won't even bother to change nasty couches or put a lick of paint on the place BEFORE showing it to prospective renters.

most proper leases clearly state you are renting the place as is, and that the landlord is obliged to maintain the property, not install new stuff at your request. i've never heard of a tenant getting a landlord to sign such an agreement. if he does fair play to you. if he doesn't, how are you going to go about enforcing it, by withholding the rent? then you will be in a dispute and he could just try to evict you. AVOID. Just because someone seems nice doesn't mean they have the ability or motivation to maintain a property. He thought he could get away with renting it in that condition says enough IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP
    E125 a week is a bit worrying ; nit to mention seeming high. ( particularly fir what you are getting)

Did you decide to go with this in the end?
    Check your outlook/diary for your calendar ; there are a fair amount of 4 1/2 week or 5 week months; will you be paying weekly or is it monthly?

I remember years back trying to figure with HR if I was better to be paid weekly or monthly; long running dilemma; they had it loaded so they got the better deal for the short term of course!

( weeps)

we agreed on 115 a week without any problems. rent was 550 first but we agreed on 500 with him supplying the paint and me doing the work, its ok deal and beneficial to both sides, plus me doing it will be more convenient and faster. it was a bit of a rush with the final decision but there was no better options for out budget, and the moving out date was already being abused by being extended an extra week... all in all i didn't sign any obligation agreement, just a standard contract, couches have been changed already and he gave us loads of extra furniture with came in handy. i will update this thread in a week

ok, thought i'll update this :) rent price is 115 and so far no problems, everything that needed fix or replacement has been done by landlord, the work started earlier that was promised (was shocked but happy), so all bottom floor has been already replaced with (nice and not cheap) tiles and stove is going in any time soon :) i thought it was an empty promise just to get us in, but no, delivered and done in a one go.

sometimes its worth to take that risk, we ended up getting a newly refurbed great house in a very present area with a 500 a month budged, very happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

this house was 550 but we agreed on 500 deposit and 125 weekly which is great value and comfortable arrangement of payment (no months rent upfront).

Just to let you know your paying more than €500 per month for 11 months of the year, the only month you'll pay €500 per month is February when there are 28 days, which is 4 weeks, which is €125*4 = €500.

Too many people make the mistake of multiplying weekly rents by 4 to get monthly rents or dividing monthly rents by 4 to get weekly ones.

A better way of calculating is;
    Weekly to monthly
    [(€xxx per week) X (52 weeks in the year)]/12 months = €yyy per month

Monthly to Weekly
    [(€yyy per month) X (12 months in the year)]/52 weeks = €xxx per week

It's a trick unscrupulous landlords use - that apartment is only €125 per week, shure thats only €500 per month.

Working it out using your figures;
    €500 per month X 12 months = €6000 per year
    €125 per week X 52 weeks = €6500 per year - a whole extra months rent for the landlord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

bugger I just saw the rent is €115 per week, wonder what that is, hmmm;
    €115 X 52 weeks = €5980 per year
    €500 X 12 months = €6000 per year

You've managed to get €20 a year off the LL (that's NOT sarcasm) I didn't think any ll would let that happen in this day and age

You've managed to get €20 a year off the LL (that's NOT sarcasm) I didn't think any ll would let that happen in this day and age

I think it's called pester power; we did something similar with the work needing doing here that was supposed to be done before we came.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭petecork

but theres slightly more than 52 weeks in a year, so:

€115 / 7days * 365 = €5996.43

or more accurately accounting for leap years, landlord is gaining 53c ;):
    €115 / 7days * 365.25 = €6000.53
    €500 X 12 months = €6000.00

ok, leap year calculations and others are taken into account thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭petecork

ok, leap year calculations and others are taken into account thank you :D

In reality when paying weekly the tenant pays 52 weeks+1day rent per year and 52 weeks+2days rent every leap year. So whether I use an average of 365.25 days per year or 365+365+365+366 the result is the same. Just trying to show that the landlord is still receiving an average of 6,000 p/a

Y1 - €115 / 7days * 365 = €5996.43
    Y2 - €115 / 7days * 365 = €5996.43
    Y3 - €115 / 7days * 365 = €5996.43
    Y4 - €115 / 7days * 365 = €6012.85

Total = 24002.14
    Average = 6000.53 (24002.14/4)

Advertisement