Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts points due to go up?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Can't see HL maths points affecting arts too much tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

No point in worrying about it now. Completely out of your hands. Last year it was 355 points (UCD site says the average points per new entrant was 405). I cannot remember the last time it went above 370. Generally goes between 345-365

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I don't mean to come across as snobby, but only 14% of the country sit Honours maths and I highly doubt any significant number of them will be hoping to do arts. Don't predict any significant change happening to arts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

RMD wrote: »
    I don't mean to come across as snobby, but only 14% of the country sit Honours maths and I highly doubt any significant number of them will be hoping to do arts. Don't predict any significant change happening to arts.

Not sure what is 'snobby' about that to be honest (who cares?) But your comment taht only 14% of the country sits Honour Maths is ignoring the likelihood of higher numbers sitting Honours Maths this year. If there are extra points going more people will be looking for them. And perversely it's the 600 point genuises who'd ...like...so...not...be...found dead in Arts who'll not need extra points. In that scenario it's quite possible that it'll affect Arts more than any other course. And, what seems to have escaped the notice of some, Maths is a course of study in Arts so the idea that it is a desert of Maths students is questionable.

Piachu wrote: »
    Due to the maths bonus people are saying CAO points requirements for courses are due to go up.

Anyone have any idea if this will apply to Arts? because that could be problematic for me. :mad:

Article :

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/letters/2012/0607/1224317441904.html?fb_ref=.T9Mci6QZdag.like&fb_source=timeline

The Maths thing will inevitably push points up in Arts I would say as thousands who would not have bothered with Honours Maths in the past will now see it as justifiable. But remember there are big numbers in these courses and a big gap between the top students getting in and the ones with lower points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Not sure what is 'snobby' about that to be honest (who cares?) But your comment taht only 14% of the country sits Honour Maths is ignoring the likelihood of higher numbers sitting Honours Maths this year. If there are extra points going more people will be looking for them. And perversely it's the 600 point genuises who'd ...like...so...not...be...found dead in Arts who'll not need extra points. In that scenario it's quite possible that it'll affect Arts more than any other course. And, what seems to have escaped the notice of some, Maths is a course of study in Arts so the idea that it is a desert of Maths students is questionable.

Talking purely in terms of points rising thats just not likely. Heavily maths dependant courses such as Engineering, Maths (!), Computer Science etc will go up 25. There are about 1000 people in Arts? I'd be surprised if more than 30 took maths as a subject. Its not likely that many people on the edge of getting arts (360ish) points are going to be getting C3s or above in higher maths. The people doing HL maths and getting arts will more than likely be getting 400+ anyway and would have already gotten into the course thus not affecting the minimum points requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Points for Arts will almost certainly go up this year for a number of reasons. Having said that, I'd be surprised if they went up by more than 10 points. The intake is too large for there to be a very dramatic rise in points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

RMD wrote: »

Isn't Arts one of the few courses that offers pure Mathematics?

AdamD wrote: »
    Talking purely in terms of points rising thats just not likely. Heavily maths dependant courses such as Engineering, Maths (!), Computer Science etc will go up 25. There are about 1000 people in Arts? I'd be surprised if more than 30 took maths as a subject. Its not likely that many people on the edge of getting arts (360ish) points are going to be getting C3s or above in higher maths. The people doing HL maths and getting arts will more than likely be getting 400+ anyway and would have already gotten into the course thus not affecting the minimum points requirement.

Well, that's what I meant when I wrote "but remember there are big numbers in these courses and a big gap between the top students getting in and the ones with lower points". It will ultimately depend, as with all courses, on the number of applicants - and last year there were less than for some time.

Incidentally, you note Computer Science as a "heavily maths dependant course" - but at point of entry it's not. Higher level Maths is not a pre-requisite for that course in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Piachu

Well thanks a lot for your help! A bit more enlightened now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement