Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Players that could/should/maybe have won more caps

• 09-06-2012 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking about this recently and two players that come to mind for me are Stephen Reid and John Sheridan.

Sheridan for me was a brilliant play maker with an abundance of skill. Although he played in all USA 94 games I can't help but feel that he possibly should have won more than his 34 caps.

Stephen Reid played 23 times for Ireland. In his case he was unfortunate to be blighted by injuries for much of his career and then decided to retire from international football at the age of 29. It's a pity because he could have been a midfield mainstay for Ireland if he was not hampered with injury.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Wes Hoolahan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Owen Heary was well good enough to be capped

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Steven Reid, if Trap wasn't a ****ing idiot, he'd still be available for selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Stephen Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Ian harte is possibly our best left back but Trap doesn't know who he is.
    Leon Best should have gone to the euros instead of Doyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Stephen McPhail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Ciaran Clark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Kieran Richardson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Roy Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

ANDY REID!! IT'S AN OUTRAGE!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Paul Butler.

A tough ball playing centre half who was like a cross of McGrath and Beckenbauer. Bled green too. An disgrace he only has one cap :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Joey O'Brien

Stephen Henderson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I know his career ended due to injury, but it is an awful shame that Jim Beglin only got 15 caps, the last of which when he was just 23.

He should have been a huge part of the Charlton era for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Paul Butler.

A tough ball playing centre half who was like a cross of McGrath and Beckenbauer. Bled green too. An disgrace he only has one cap :mad:

Think he got 1 too many my self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Denis Irwin should have got 40 or 50 more caps than he did.
    This was him disappointed at being left out.
    The_Cliff_%28Denis_Irwin%29.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Gary Waddock. It was criminal what happened at Italia 90, he was a fantastic player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Skid wrote: »
    I know his career ended due to injury, but it is an awful shame that Jim Beglin only got 15 caps, the last of which when he was just 23.

He should have been a huge part of the Charlton era for Ireland.

I agree, such a pity. One of the select few Irish players to play in a European Cup final too.

Advertisement