Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

• 09-06-2012 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Thought i might get this thread going seeing its done for other subjects!

How are you guys set and what you doing this weekend for it!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Thanks for this! Really needed it. I'm so scared about biology! I have a feeling there'll be a lot of plant biology and I suck at it :/ any ideas what I should focus more on in regards to plant bio?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Oh god...still have so much to look over...I'm looking over Photosynthesis, Respiration, Genetic engineering and Enzymes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Biology? lol that subject was designed to be crammed for the night before. Sexual reproduction of plants will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I haven't looked at biology in about 3 weeks, but hopefully I knew it well enough 3 weeks ago that it'll all come back to me when I look over it this weekend. :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Get ready for a roller coaster of a paper this year. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Thanks for this! Really needed it. I'm so scared about biology! I have a feeling there'll be a lot of plant biology and I suck at it :/ any ideas what I should focus more on in regards to plant bio?
    Well sorry to say plant biology is gna be coming up alot this year i have a good feeling about it!!
    But on the good side it isnt that bad !! Know pollen grain and embryo sac formation ! And of course fertilisation! Then quickly go over everything else which will be shorter answer questions like germination!
    Then go off do the exam paper on plants correcting off marking scheme youll be grand..

Ohh and know plant structure and cohesion and tension! And all the other aspects!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

finality wrote: »
    I haven't looked at biology in about 3 weeks, but hopefully I knew it well enough 3 weeks ago that it'll all come back to me when I look over it this weekend. :L
    Ye im the exact same just goin over stuff right now that i havent looked at in an age!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 johnson901

Would i be safe leaving out studying DNA and genetics? Does it always come up as only one question on the paper and possibly short questions? Reallly hate it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Hope the paper continues the trend of obscure questions being asked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Im really fecked for this. Like is it actually possible to learn enough between now and tuesday to pass the exam or preferably get a D1 or possibly C3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 sean o r

Experiments will be enzyme based, well one of them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Hope the paper continues the trend of obscure questions being asked :D

To be honest the obscure questions aren't all that obscure. They're actually simpler than some of the other questions.. :/

As long as you know the course how they phrase the questions isn't a problem, just making sure you don't make stupid mistakes is the main thing.. it's what stops my A1 all too often.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Im really fecked for this. Like is it actually possible to learn enough between now and tuesday to pass the exam or preferably get a D1 or possibly C3?

Just go through papers with marking schemes. Learn off the answers. The same questions come up again and again.
    Plant Biology, enzymes, genetics and ecology are going to come up.
    Learn off the experiments. Really easy to do, just understand them. Questions on them are the same every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FunnyUserName

johnson901 wrote: »
    Would i be safe leaving out studying DNA and genetics? Does it always come up as only one question on the paper and possibly short questions? Reallly hate it :(

Our teacher never covered genetics because it is possible to leave it out, it just means you won't have a choice :) Although he did give extra classes to those who wanted to genetics...me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

lorrieq wrote: »
    Just go through papers with marking schemes. Learn off the answers. The same questions come up again and again.
    Plant Biology, enzymes, genetics and ecology are going to come up.
    Learn off the experiments. Really easy to do, just understand them. Questions on them are the same every year.

I want to avoid genetics because I dont really understand it at all :/

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Genetics is a possible Section A question so I'd definitely do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Will human reproduction make an appearance this year?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I don't see them leaving it off two years in a row. I'm fine with all the reproductive system/germ layer stuff, it's just the hormones that get me.
    I'd be so happy with a long plant reproduction question

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Will human reproduction make an appearance this year?!

Yes it didn't come up last year so it should this year. I haven't studied biology for a couple of weeks but I've unit 1,2, microbiology, human anatomy and experiments studied. Going to take 2-3 hours now to go over it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Britney_Spears

I hate ecology so much I'm good at everything else but what do I need to know for ecolgy in short questions I will be avoiding it in section c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

I hate ecology so much I'm good at everything else but what do I need to know for ecolgy in short questions I will be avoiding it in section c

Definitions basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

johnson901 wrote: »

You could leave it out if you knew everything else well enough. However, even if you leave out the more complicated stuff, you should still know the basics (definitions, structure) as they're not difficult short questions, and they could be asked as part of the experiment questions. Don't skip the experiment on DNA either, the questions usually just go through all the steps which aren't too complicated to go over! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Bit scared for this as I haven't looked over any of Unit 3 or DNA yet but I think I should be okay overall. My teacher's given about a billion tests throughout the year though so I've learned everything at one point. There are only a couple of Unit 3 chapters that I'm not really comfortable with but I'll be able to study them before the exam. I just hope it goes well, I really need the A1 in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Emz93

do you think i'd be safe covering everything except Sexual Reproduction of flowering plants? Going for an A1 so would be able to answer any other questions hopefully if given a choice! I was out for the two days my teacher did it in so i'm fairly lost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Emz93 wrote: »
    do you think i'd be safe covering everything except Sexual Reproduction of flowering plants? Going for an A1 so would be able to answer any other questions hopefully if given a choice! I was out for the two days my teacher did it in so i'm fairly lost!

People going for an A1 shouldn't be leaving anything out, to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I'd be disagreeing about leaving out genetics etc.

One year two short questions arose on genetics and it caught the schools who's teachers decided to skim over it. I'd learn both genetics and ecology as they are the main sections in the book, and, they are interesting ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Ecology, Food and Genetic Terms and Crosses have come up every year since 2005. They better keep that up or I will personally hunt down and kill everybody in the SEC. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Emz93

People going for an A1 shouldn't be leaving anything out, to be honest...

True..i'll learn as much as possible then! It's all so abstract :/

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

ChemHickey wrote: »
    I'd be disagreeing about leaving out genetics etc.

One year two short questions arose on genetics and it caught the schools who's teachers decided to skim over it. I'd learn both genetics and ecology as they are the main sections in the book, and, they are interesting ones!

DNA, Ecology, Photosynthesis, Respiration and Digestion are the key things I'd know for this year. You can almost guarantee a question on at least 4 of them either in short questions or long questions. Excretion came up last year so I reckon there won't be a long question on it this year. (don't hold me to that though if one does turn up :pac:) Although in saying that you should still know the general gist of it in case it turns up in the short questions

Also, know your experiments well. Not only are they worth 60 marks but the info you learn from them will definitely help you in other parts of the test. I'd say we can also expect an experiment similar to last year's q7, not an experiment we've actually done but one testing the theory behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Been all day so far trying to do genetic crosses etc .. still cant. fail.

Advertisement