Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Mm nice enough section B and C but short questions were terrible i didnt get half the stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Saaaaz

can anyone name out the topics of the section C questions? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

AH CRAP. THATS IT. ACQUIRED AND INHERITED MUTATIONS.
    damn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Didn't get to draw a single dick or fanny. Gutted.

In seriousness though it wasn't the best paper for me. Experiments went really well, Short qs were kinda crap but I filled in everyone anyway and two of my long qs were good, one was okay, and one was crap. Was hoping for a B3 but now I highly doubt I got that. Maybe a C2/3 at best.

In happier news only two more exams for me and then I'm free!!!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

montown wrote: »
    thought it went well, one question i could not decipher for love nor money was that Q11 a)i) what are the two types of nitrogenous bases? looked it up in the book there the answer is purines and pyramidines. can safely say i have never heard of that before :L section B was sweet, and i loved the long question on the nervous system, got an a1 in the mock so hopefully ill get it again :)

Oh god that question. I knew the answer, but in the exam I spent ten minutes going "is the word pyridenes or pyrimidines"... I WROTE THE RIGHT ONE :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 whatsec

Question 10, in the part where it talked about the alleles being linked...it asked for the two gametes that occur most frequently, but there are only two gametes in total no?

Thought it was a grand paper, for those who knew a broad range of the topics. A few people in my year who had always done great biology found it very difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Champion Gold

I got pyrimidines and purines and was very proud of myself ;)

I said gene mutations and chromosome mutations *facepalm*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

What an awesome paper. Really happy. The short question on the bone was weird and hard to read the diagram but a fine paper for those with a genuine interest in biology. A bit unfair for those who solely covered the course as it did require some abstract thinking and general knowledge/wits but I'm so hoping I did enough for the a1! I really enjoyed it anyway!

reznov wrote: »
    damn it.

what about gene or chromosome mutations?

edit: no I'm right, if you inherit a mutation it's not a mutation

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whatsec

finality wrote: »
    Oh god that question. I knew the answer, but in the exam I spent ten minutes going "is the word pyridenes or pyrimidines"... I WROTE THE RIGHT ONE :D:D

Prettyyy sure I wrote pyridamines...oops haha think they allow for spelling mistakes though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Acquired and Inherited mutations?? I thought that was immunity :L I said chromosome and gene mutations.. Overall I liked the paper.. A few weird questions but as expected hopefully the A1

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Ugh I knew Purines and Pyrimidines but for some reason I though it meant to give 2 examples of the actual bases so I wrote thymine and cytosine! So annoying! Was really hoping for an A1 but I don't think I will now... thought it was a bit of a weird paper to be honest!

Acquired and Inherited mutations?? I thought that was immunity :L I said chromosome and gene mutations.. Overall I liked the paper.. A few weird questions but as expected hopefully the A1

I'm pretty sure gene and chromosome mutations is right, I read the whole book last night and distinctly remember reading that :L

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

What answers did people get in the food short question?

The ones about the chemical difference of amino acid and monosaccharide?
    chemical common between fats and carbohydrates?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Chromosome and Gene mutations is right, I'm nearly positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

reznov wrote: »
    damn it.

Is it not gene/chromosome?? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

smithy77 wrote: »

Difference is that amino acids contain nitrogen (as they're proteins) whereas monosaccharides don't (they're carbohydrates).

The common chemical between fats and carbs are CHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Saaaaz

Can someone please post the topics of the section C questions, have a horrible feeling that I left one out!! :O pleeeeaaase!!

A few things came up that I had never heard of: namely introduction of change of base sequence and leaf yeast in July/march and leaf yeast graph.. Manage to get all questions done with time to check everything woop :D

an amino acid has nitrogen, a monosaccharide does not.

3 chemicals common between fats and carbohydrates: CHO

• Advertisement

Difference is that amino acids contain nitrogen (as they're proteins) whereas monosaccharides don't (they're carbohydrates).

The common chemical between fats and carbs is also nitrogen.

There isn't nitrogen in fats?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

an amino acid has nitrogen, a monosaccharide does not.

3 chemicals common between fats and carbohydrates: CHO

Wooo I said that for them, 20/20 for that one:D I reckon section A was good, section B was good and section C was tricky.. Hoping for a low B - high C:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Britney_Spears

Carbs nor fats have nitrogen. Looks like you lost 6marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Sound paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FunnyUserName

I completely guessed it and said protein for the first and lipids for the second..didn't have a notion!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

You just contradicted yourself there.. both carbs and fats are made of hydrogen, carbon and oxygen :)

I thought that was a very good paper over all... did nearly every question on the paper in 2 hours :) didn't go hugely into specifics or details of any one thing.. nice and evenly spread out imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

Section A and B were lovely. However section C wasn't the nicest, couldn't awnser for the life of me two of the q's so I had no choice in the matter.
    I'm sure I got a high B, pushing it to say an A2. But it's really annoying knowing you could have gotten an A1 even if you just did an extra days study :-( ahh well, theres always next yea...oh wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ivanh

What were the parts of the bone in Q3?? The diagram really confused me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Didn't really like this paper. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 jibs

I'm pretty sure gene and chromosome mutations is right, I read the whole book last night and distinctly remember reading that :L
    ya you're right it's chromosome and gene mutations. Thats what I put down.

Advertisement