Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

Difference is that amino acids contain nitrogen (as they're proteins) whereas monosaccharides don't (they're carbohydrates).

The common chemical between fats and carbs is also nitrogen.

fats dont contain nitrigen... and that wasn't even on the exam, the q was: a similarity between fats and carbs... and the answer was, they both cave c h o

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

ivanh wrote: »
    What were the parts of the bone in Q3?? The diagram really confused me :/

I said compact bone, red bone marrow and spongy bone.. not too sure on it though :/

For the function of Z in the small intestine, did anyone else say peristalis?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jibs

smithy77 wrote: »
    What answers did people get in the food short question?

The ones about the chemical difference of amino acid and monosaccharide?
    chemical common between fats and carbohydrates?

:confused:

I said that proteins had nitrogen while carbohydrates didn't. I'm not sure about the lipids and carbohydrates, I said they both had carbon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Mista wrote: »
    I said compact bone, red bone marrow and spongy bone.. not too sure on it though :/

I said all of those. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jibs

Ya i said peristalsis, I was thinking it might be diffusion but then I was like naahhh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I just found out that a girl in my school left biology early today crying. Yesterday she called me lazy because of my poor mock results. Today she couldn't do any of the biology questions that required a bit of thought and cop on and not just rote learning.

HAH! I love the universe. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fity37

What was the part C of the genetics question about exactly? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

I don't think it was compact bone it was the medullary cavity? Was pointing to the inside of the bone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I thought it was okay overall. Think I'll be caught out on the short questions (only put down carbon and hydrogen for carbs and lipids, forgot about oxygen altogether!) but the experiments and long questions were fine. I answered every single question on the paper so hopefully I can make up the marks somewhere! Not feeling fully confident of my A1 but I think I got at least an A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Thought the short questions were kind of hard...liked the experiment ones..
    looooved the question on nervous system since I revised that last night...the rest was okay..

BIOLOGY IS DONE!!! Woohooo:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I just regretted my lack of revision time. They should just give us days in between off to revise at least. You cannot hold 30 chapters in memory!

Some people thought it was hard. The ecology was very approachable.

I don't think it was compact bone it was the medullary cavity? Was pointing to the inside of the bone

I said that first, but when it asked for a function, i didn't think the cavity really had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Saaaaz

what were the topics in the long questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

I said yellow bone marrow for that...but I think you are right that it is medullary cavity:/...and I said Periosteum for the thing around it...and spongy bone for the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dearbhaile

**** my life gone from an A1 in mocks to this:( omg and jut realised I dre a sensory neuron instead of a motor one!oh god there's my course gone down the drain;(

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

I said epiphysis, red marrow and growth plate. The diagram was a bit dodgey, hope they are generous on that part!

Also said peristalis for the function of Z.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

I said that first, but when it asked for a function, i didn't think the cavity really had one.

I said that it contained yellow bone marrow which is rich in fat :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I think my all nighter paid off. Definitely did better than I would have without it. But OH GOD today's been a long day, I've gotten 3 hours of sleep in the last 58, I think I'll call it a night. :L

what were the long question topics anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mani09

That was the worst biology paper I've ever seen. I was going for a b1 but I'd be lucky to get a C3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 motorola1337

Left the exam 35 minutes in with a depressed look on my face...well..i planned on failing it anyway....now i just need to pull an all-nighter 2 days in a row and get my A1 in business...a1 in accounting and a1 in economics...and im set for college :D

btw not impossible...got B2 in all in pre exams :D and failed bio..so im not too worried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

SOSOSOSO HAPPY!
    I was dreading this one but such a lovely paper :o
    Ended up answering all the questions.
    And no, before it's said, I didnt rush them. I did the required amount, checked them, double checked them and had time to spare so why not?

Delighted. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

absolute c**t of a paper! That Q3 short question was dodgy...all the stuff i didnt learn seemed to come up and none of my favourite topics did! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

What a wierd paper! So much more common sense questions! Think I did ok? Got an A2 in the mock, would be lucky to get the same again! :cool:
    Thought the plant trying to escape question was epic!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

It What about just yellow marrow?
    And I thought the top part was the spongy bone :/

Can anyone please tell me what the topics in the long questions were?? :(

What a wierd paper! So much more common sense questions! Think I did ok? Got an A2 in the mock, would be lucky to get the same again! :cool:
    Thought the plant trying to escape question was epic!!! :D

I regret not doing that question, everyone said it was easy :/ did everything else though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭andy g

biohaiid wrote: »
    SOSOSOSO HAPPY!
    I was dreading this one but such a lovely paper :o
    Ended up answering all the questions.
    And no, before it's said, I didnt rush them. I did the required amount, checked them, double checked them and had time to spare so why not?

Delighted. :)

Exactly this!
    Found the paper too be much better than previous years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TMCGY

Thought it was a very straight forward paper!
    Hope the marking scheme isnt a bitch! :confused:
    Anyone know what the answer was to the difference between red and white blood cells?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

I said Red marrow, yellow marrow and epiphesis for the bone question.. Red marrow was correct but yellow marrow and epiphesis was incorrect when i looked at my book afterwards:(

Advertisement