Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

What did everyone say for a long bone in the body? I wasn't sure so I wrote humerus as it was the first thing to pop into my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

TMCGY wrote: »
    Thought it was a very straight forward paper!
    Hope the marking scheme isnt a bitch! :confused:
    Anyone know what the answer was to the difference between red and white blood cells?

Red blood cells have hemoglobin and bio-concave shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Long questions : genetics, nervous system, ecology, plant reproduction, sexual repro(embryonic), homeostasis cant remember the rest..

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

TMCGY wrote: »
    Thought it was a very straight forward paper!
    Hope the marking scheme isnt a bitch! :confused:
    Anyone know what the answer was to the difference between red and white blood cells?

White blood cells have mitochondria, nucleus, and no definite shape.
    Red have no mitochondria, nucleus, and have a biconcave shape :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

I was nearly crying when I left, I accidentally skipped half of the Ecology long question and didn't realise it until there was about three minutes left. Actually kicking myself. I'll be lucky if I scraped a pass TBH, and I need three higher C3s for my course (so relying on tomorrow's French and History and then Music should be grand at least). :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

I just found out that a girl in my school left biology early today crying. Yesterday she called me lazy because of my poor mock results. Today she couldn't do any of the biology questions that required a bit of thought and cop on and not just rote learning.

HAH! I love the universe. :D

Hmmm, I'm a teacher ... and I have to say I can understand where you're coming from! By the way, your first comment made me laugh out loud about not getting the diagrams you wanted, haha! Hope you did really well.

Long questions : genetics, nervous system, ecology, plant reproduction, sexual repro(embryonic), homeostasis cant remember the rest..

The entire question 14 was on reproduction: one bit on plant, one on embryo, one on fungi.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Saaaaz wrote: »
    Can anyone please tell me what the topics in the long questions were?? :(

There was an ecology question, nervous system questions and I also did Q14 which had plant reproduction and human reproduction and fungi...and question 15 was human digestion and homeostatis but can't remember part (b) cause I didn't do it...
    I don't know about the other ones because I didn't do them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beware

I was happy enough with the paper. I thought it might be horrible, but it wasn't. I think I got a good solid B on it. Maybe an A if I'm lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

Pepperr wrote: »
    Never heard it being used, I would probably wouldn't chance it.

Just stick with the anaerobic bacteria in the intestines/ rhizobium in the clover nodules.

I alwyas used the rhino and the bird :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

Mista wrote: »
    I said that first, but when it asked for a function, i didn't think the cavity really had one.

contains red marrow for producing blood cells and contains yellow marrow for energy storage

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fity37

Genetic Question Answers??:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

I was seriously nervous before going into this exam. Did loads of cramming and I didn't think any of it would work. The exam seemed grand enough though. I'm delighted, I doubt I'll get an amazing result but I will be absolutely sickened if I fail. Huge relief from that, especially since I love Biology and do so well in class, but when it comes to tests I fail, hard!

leaveiton wrote: »
    What did everyone say for a long bone in the body? I wasn't sure so I wrote humerus as it was the first thing to pop into my head.
    I said Femur.
    :D

Admitiddalty there were a few ridiculous questions, but if the marking scheme is tight it'll be really easy to loase marks on that seemingly "simple" ecology question. :rolleyes:

Oh and what is active transport again, I think I wrote down the wrong thing :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Was respiration or photosynthesis on the paper? Both? Neither?

What were the 3 experiments?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 liamduffy1994

I did all 6 long Qs, 10 and 13 wern't much good but the other 4 were sound! The experiments were perfect if you knew your experiments! Shorts were pretty good, lucky I read over had Q2 completely wrong, answered about plants and Question was on animal tissue! The genetics question was tough but found the paper fair in general! Hoping for an A2 maybe a B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

That was just HORRIBLE :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 liamduffy1994

Active is movement from low conc to high conc and requires energy to do so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

that was pure grand!! HAHA oh me god. :) some questions were difficult
    but then some of them like the one about the colours of light!?!? ridiculously simple!! didn't even need to study biology for that question like. :pac: loved it.
    although i think i did better in the mocks. :L aah well.
    sound paper in any case. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I said Femur.

That was my other choice, ended up going with humerus in the end. :P And from some quick Googling it seems I was right, yeoooow.

What's this everyone's saying about part c of the genetics question? I hope I understood it right!

• Advertisement

Was respiration or photosynthesis on the paper? Both? Neither?

What were the 3 experiments?

Both. Photosynthesis question was really weird though :/

There was temperature effect on enzymes, leaf yeast, and another with a whole bunch of experiments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

That was my other choice, ended up going with humerus in the end. :P And from some quick Googling it seems I was right, yeoooow.

Yup, humerus or femur would both have been fine there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

No mitosis! Surprised. I forgot the damn purine for nitrogen base types. Bah. Ridiculuously little time for revision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I said femur. It's the LONGEST OF THE LONG, I should get bonus marks for it.

I think you're grand as long as you didn't say something like skull or vertebra. :L

edit: I mean, you could say ulna, radius, metatarsal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Yellow light on leaf question??

I said active transport is where there is material constantly moving in and out of the cell i.e. it is the same concentration s to whatever else is around it. So I guess I got that wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Fity37 wrote: »
    What was the part C of the genetics question about exactly? :eek:

Genetic engineering? Thats the only part I could do. :L
    And a.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

That was by far the hardest Biology exam ever. I think I might have got an A1 but more likely an A2. That exam just seemed to cater for those who had a broad knowledge of everything instead of the usual exams that focus in detail on core areas. I mean since when has grey and white matter been asked?? Or the different agents of mutation?? First time for everything I suppose but why did it have to be for this year. First Geography kicked me in the nuts and then this exam.....They better not pull some messed up sh*t for History.

Yellow light on leaf question??

I said it would be reflected :) as it wasn't being absorbed or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

I said active transport is where there is material constantly moving in and out of the cell i.e. it is the same concentration s to whatever else is around it. So I guess I got that wrong?

that's still right. (: it's when it has to use energy to go across a concentration gradient. :) it doesn't have to move from and area of "low" to "high" :P so i'd say you'd be grand there. :D

Advertisement