Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

reznov wrote: »
    No mitosis! Surprised. I forgot the damn purine for nitrogen base types. Bah. Ridiculuously little time for revision.

I thought they were just asking for the actual base pairs, as in guanine-cytosine
    and then adenine-thymine?
    :confused:
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I said femur.

I used the Ag Science definition for Active Transport that they are moving against a concentration gradient. Overall a fairly weird paper in my opinion. Was grand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Mista wrote: »
    Both. Photosynthesis question was really weird though :/

There was temperature effect on enzymes, leaf yeast, and another with a whole bunch of experiments.

Weird?
    Do you not mean brilliant?
    It was just reading it off a graph. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

finality wrote: »
    I said femur. It's the LONGEST OF THE LONG, I should get bonus marks for it.

I think you're grand as long as you didn't say something like skull or vertebra. :L

edit: I mean, you could say ulna, radius, metatarsal...

What about humurous? thats a long bone:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I said active transport is where there is material constantly moving in and out of the cell i.e. it is the same concentration s to whatever else is around it. So I guess I got that wrong?

Yeah I'm afraid so, active transport is the movement of substances against a concentration gradient, requiring energy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I said femur. It's the LONGEST OF THE LONG, I should get bonus marks for it.

I think you're grand as long as you didn't say something like skull or vertebra. :L

edit: I mean, you could say ulna, radius, metatarsal...

I think that definitely warrants some bonus marks! :P

Now that you mention the vertebra that reminds me, did anyone answer that question on the nervous system, the part where it asked to distinguish between white and grey matter? All I said was "Grey matter is found on the outside of the brain. White matter is found on the inside. White matter is found on the outside of the spinal cord. Grey matter is found on the inside." Would that be okay or what? :P There are probably functions that I was forgetting but that was the extent of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

biohaiid wrote: »
    Weird?
    Do you not mean brilliant?
    It was just reading it off a graph. :)

Well yes, brilliant i admit :P But weird.. almost seems like a project maths style question :/

hollingr wrote: »
    I thought they were just asking for the actual base pairs, as in guanine-cytosine
    and then adenine-thymine?
    :confused:
    :(

That was the second question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

NO MORE BIOLOGY EVER AGAIN :DDDD

That was grand, weird paper though. Lots of suggesting and making it up yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Gah mixed up the two bone parts in the short question, and mixed up the functions aswell :L.

Would I get marks for Active Transport with "Non-passive exchange process that requires energy" ?
    Also anyone know what grey and white matter are? Overall, good paper I thought, hopefully A1 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Well yes, brilliant i admit :P But weird.. almost seems like a project maths style question :/

here is dot a, and here is dot b. connect the two dots. (9 marks)

all that practise in senior infants finally pays off!!!!!

leaveiton wrote: »
    I think that definitely warrants some bonus marks! :P

Now that you mention the vertebra that reminds me, did anyone answer that question on the nervous system, the part where it asked to distinguish between white and grey matter? All I said was "Grey matter is found on the outside of the brain. White matter is found on the inside. White matter is found on the outside of the spinal cord. Grey matter is found on the inside." Would that be okay or what? :P There are probably functions that I was forgetting but that was the extent of my knowledge.

Grey matter is composed of dendrites and cell bodies, white matter is composed of axons only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

leaveiton wrote: »

If it was a description going for a few marks that would probably be a valid point. The main thing they were probably looking for was that white matter is made up of axons and grey matter is made up of cell bodies.

And lads for the ecology question you think they'll be generous with the marking scheme? Gonna be a whole loada answers, they can't really mark them wrong if they're logical

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

Ahh, Always think i've nailed it until i come home get on boards & see tthat i've read a host of questions wrong.. Name two nitrogenous bases... DURH TYPES :'/

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Grey matter is composed of dendrites and cell bodies, white matter is composed of axons only.

Oh no...I mixed them up:( I said grey was axons and white dendrites and cell bodies...gah:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Hayezer wrote: »
    And lads for the ecology question you think they'll be generous with the marking scheme? Gonna be a whole loada answers, they can't really mark them wrong if they're logical

I hope so. :D

For the differences between amino acid and monosaccaride i answered:

'Amino acid contains nitrogen'

Thats correct right?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Ah well :P

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

smithy77 wrote: »

Most definitely.

• Advertisement

smithy77 wrote: »

Yep. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

I actually really like biology.

Schonie wrote: »
    Oh no...I mixed them up:( I said grey was axons and white dendrites and cell bodies...gah:(

I got it wrong in the exam too, I said grey matter was cell bodies and white was axons and dendrites... I hope they'll give me the marks for grey though, it's essentially right...

Thought the genetics question was pretty weird, for the linkage part about the genotype of the gametes that would be produced most, I didn't really put down the genotypes as in Big letter Small letter, I put down the drawings of the chromosomes with the letters on them, this ok?

diarmo06 wrote: »
    Ahh, Always think i've nailed it until i come home get on boards & see tthat i've read a host of questions wrong.. Name two nitrogenous bases... DURH TYPES :'/

I just post what I thought of the papers really. I really would rather not know what I got wrong. :L

Anyone think they work out how many marks for grey and white matter? 6 marks hopefully :P!

SS Yy x SS Yy ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Hayezer wrote: »

If your answers make sense and you've backed them up the marking scheme is usually generous. If you look back in previous years, for some questions the marking scheme just says "any valid answer" because there's such a range of answers that could have been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jibs

I said it would be reflected :) as it wasn't being absorbed or something.

It is absorbed and it causes little photosynthesis. It's green that doesn't get absorbed, thats why plants are green.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

jibs wrote: »
    It is absorbed and it causes little photosynthesis. It's green that doesn't get absorbed, thats why plants are green.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP it anyway..... :mad:

What was the growth inhibitor used? (Experiments question)

Advertisement