Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP it anyway..... :mad:

What was the growth inhibitor used? (Experiments question)

IAA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

jibs wrote: »
    It is absorbed and it causes little photosynthesis. It's green that doesn't get absorbed, thats why plants are green.

I.A.A. Was the one we used anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I just went by the diagram it gave. If green isn't absorbed than neither is yellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I don't know, I thought the paper was really boring. Like I know it's the LC and it's not meant to be exciting but there were hardly any diagrams, seemed to focus on boring aspects of chapter, and I hate those 'Write a note' questions, it's so lazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

Slightly odd paper I thought but not too difficult over all. I did every question on the paper except the leaf yeast experiment, hope that surves me well! For the differences lipids can have did you guys say that it could have a phosphate instead of one of the fatty acids? I was going to make sum reference to differerent ratios of the C H and O but I stuck with that one in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

IAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

For the Crossing question where it asked what are the two genotypes of the gamers that will be most common

Anyone else get

Sy and sY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

I said IAA! YES.

I was confused with something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Very happy with the paper :D very convinced I got at least a B2 or 1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Was it a monohybrid cross?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

If your answers make sense and you've backed them up the marking scheme is usually generous. If you look back in previous years, for some questions the marking scheme just says "any valid answer" because there's such a range of answers that could have been given.

As in I couldn't think of anything for "why do you think an exotic species may be brought in" and felt a bit silly for putting it down "Leisure e.g to obtain feathers" :L! I was thinking of real world examples, there's a Chinese pheasent running around my drive, googled it few weeks back and they were originally introduced to get feathers for making flys for fishing! So technically I'm right :pac:

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I just went by the diagram it gave. If green isn't absorbed than neither is yellow.

This was my reasoning too, I thought it was a trick question on that basis.
    dmca93 wrote: »
    Slightly odd paper I thought but not too difficult over all. I did every question on the paper except the leaf yeast experiment, hope that surves me well! For the differences lipids can have did you guys say that it could have a phosphate instead of one of the fatty acids? I was going to make sum reference to differerent ratios of the C H and O but I stuck with that one in the end.

No, phospholipids and lipids are two different things. I went with the ratios, but I think it's wrong. As far as I know the correct answer is that different lipids have different fatty acids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Hayezer wrote: »
    As in I couldn't think of anything for "why do you think an exotic species may be brought in" and felt a bit silly for putting it down "Leisure e.g to obtain feathers" :L! I was thinking of real world examples, there's a Chinese pheasent running around my drive, googled it few weeks back and they were originally introduced to get feathers for making flys for fishing! So technically I'm right :pac:

That's quite the...alternative...answer! :P Its a bit of a random question alright, so they'll be accepting a range of answers. Can't say whether or not that one will be included but sure its only a tiny part of the paper!

The paper is up now on examinations.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I said it was saturated and unsaturated and it was double bonds or single bonds. I only know that from chemistry though so it was a little unfair.

Lipids have a Glycerol and 3 fatty acids.
    Phospholipids have a Glycerol, 2 fatty acids and a phosphate

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

finality wrote: »
    No, phospholipids and lipids are two different things. I went with the ratios, but I think it's wrong. As far as I know the correct answer is that different lipids have different fatty acids.

They might take ratios but I think they were looking for saturated and unsaturated compounds (eg. having double or tripple bonds in their molecular structure or not)

I said that too, but technically a phospholipid is a fat-like substance rather than a fat so it was a bit weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I'm in shock. I was not expecting it to be that simple. Answered all 6 short questions and all 3 experiment questions in under an hour, with only only 3 or 4 blank spaces where I was completely clueless between the lot.

The Genetics and Ecology questions in Section C were fantastic but I stumbled a good bit on my other two longs (14 a, b; 15 b, c). Very happy overall.

That was a tricky question then:confused: .. Was the genetic cross monohybrid?:confused:

finality wrote:

Yeah thats what I was thinking but I said I'd put something down rather than nothing, and I just decided to not leave it with ratios for some reason. Ah sure we'll know what they wanted when the marking scheme comes out..... if any of us care at that stage!

Anyone else not fond of ecology questions in general? Like I know how everyone talks about how much common sense is involved but in my experience its easier to get the full marks on a more specific question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

Hagz wrote: »
    For the Crossing question where it asked what are the two genotypes of the gamers that will be most common

Anyone else get

Sy and sY

I wrote that.... Were we supposed to do a punnet square though? :/ my friend said she got 11 for one of the gametes and 3 for the other? Think I did it completely smarseways, just wrote it down from looking at the question :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

Hagz wrote: »
    That was by far the hardest Biology exam ever. I think I might have got an A1 but more likely an A2. That exam just seemed to cater for those who had a broad knowledge of everything instead of the usual exams that focus in detail on core areas. I mean since when has grey and white matter been asked?? Or the different agents of mutation?? First time for everything I suppose but why did it have to be for this year. First Geography kicked me in the nuts and then this exam.....They better not pull some messed up sh*t for History.
    It's on the syllabus, so please stop complaining. There was nothing wrong with that exam. I studied the course using the syllabus and found it to be a fair and rewarding paper for those that took the time to study the different areas of Biology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

jos360 wrote: »
    They might take ratios but I think they were looking for saturated and unsaturated compounds (eg. having double or tripple bonds in their molecular structure or not)

It sounds like that's what they were looking for, I can't remember whether or not that's covered in biology textbooks though. The food questions were pretty specific this year. Technically it shouldn't be the phospholipid/lipid answer as a phospholipid is not a fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

ja know for the ecology one about bringing exotic species into the country and why?
    could you write tourism?! XD lmao i didn't know what to write there.. :L

and then for the one about yes/no to the vacant niche yoke i wrote yes and about putting in clovers to the area if there was a vacant spot for the niche of nitrogen fixation. S: does that make sense? :confused:

Whatever that double bonds thing is, it's definitely not in my book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Aww no I wrote about phospolipids too, never even occurred to me to write about bonding even though I know it from chem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Thank god you only need 5 of the 6 in Food! Hadn't a clue for the last one. Confident about the other 5. The Nervous system question was pretty weird.

Namlub wrote:
    Whatever that double bonds thing is, it's definitely not in my book

Yeah I'm nearly sure thats not on the course, I think thats got to do with the difference between butter and margerine, like polyunsaturated fats and such.

rosualt wrote: »
    I wrote that.... Were we supposed to do a punnet square though? :/ my friend said she got 11 for one of the gametes and 3 for the other? Think I did it completely smarseways, just wrote it down from looking at the question :(

I know exactly what she did but it's wrong, I tried to do it first for ages but then I realised GAMETES! HAPLOID! Sy and sY is right.

She added wrong at any rate, what she did have one outcome with 10 and 2 with 3 each, but that was possible progeny genotypes instead of gametes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

dmca93 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm nearly sure thats not on the course, I think thats got to do with the difference between butter and margerine, like polyunsaturated fats and such.

Its in our notes our biology teacher gave us.. but shes a chemistry teacher as well :/

Advertisement