Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Paper is up online now.

My opinion is that it has definitely continued the trend of looking for students to apply their knowledge of biology - this requires a very good broad knowledge of the course.

I think the paper was fine for those looking for their As or Bs - nothing too awful there.

However, I think there will be a wide gulf between those at A/B level and those struggling to pass. A lot of questions were very much you know it or you don't - little room for demonstrating the information you have even if it's not perfect.

IMO papers should have enough material for those without a real aptitude for the subject, but who work hard, to pass and then enough for those with some aptitude and a good work ethic to get their C and then with enough "tricky" analysis type questions to separate the A students.

I think the C-type students will have struggled with that paper.

FWIW I thought the OL Paper was nice enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Definitely one of the toughest exams they have given in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cosmic.Postman

Namlub wrote: »
    Whatever that double bonds thing is, it's definitely not in my book

That's because it's chemistry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Oh, excellent work SEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

finality wrote: »
    I know exactly what she did but it's wrong, I tried to do it first for ages but then I realised GAMETES! HAPLOID! Sy and sY is right.

She added wrong at any rate, what she did have one outcome with 10 and 2 with 3 each, but that was possible progeny genotypes instead of gametes.

For my gametes I had a chromosome with S and y and another with s and Y. Think thats ok? Thought you were meant to do little chromosomes when it's linked :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Thank god you only need 5 of the 6 in Food! Hadn't a clue for the last one. Confident about the other 5. The Nervous system question was pretty weird.

You only need 5?? Yay, I only got one wrong there I think :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Hayezer wrote: »
    For my gametes I had a chromosome with S and y and another with s and Y. Think thats ok? Thought you were meant to do little chromosomes when it's linked :pac:

I had to read that question about 5-6 times just to be happy I was actually answering the question they were asking.

all they wanted was the gammy gametes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

That's because it's chemistry...

If its not on the syllabus, then they won't have been aiming for that to be the answer. More likely that is saturated/unsaturated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    I'm in shock. I was not expecting it to be that simple. Answered all 6 short questions and all 3 experiment questions in under an hour, with only only 3 or 4 blank spaces where I was completely clueless between the lot.

The Genetics and Ecology questions in Section C were fantastic but I stumbled a good bit on my other two longs (14 a, b; 15 b, c). Very happy overall.

Lol that's how long it's supposed to take, says it on the front of the exam paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Yeah that gamete question tricked me too! I had my punnet square and all done out when I realised all they wanted was Sy and sY!

• Advertisement

Sure, you were asked to write down the genotypes, not the gametes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Well..I am gutted :( Would be happy with a C2 now! I knew everything and it just left my mind :/ Wanted a B1..

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

You only need 5?? Yay, I only got one wrong there I think :D:D

Yup 5.

Was the linked genes question as simple as drawing the gametes? It seemed really simple? Did not like the genetic engineering part to be honest. I t was a bit iffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Looking at the paper... the exam wasn't harder than any other year but the way they took bits and pieces from every single part of the course might have caused issues for anyone who relied on predictions. All I could say is that the short questions seem a tiny bit easier than past years.

Sure, you were asked to write down the genotypes, not the gametes?

Genotypes of the gametes they asked, and I put that down, just not in Sy sY form, I put down the two chromosomes. Hope I get the marks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

I'm gutted and disappointed :(
    I thought that paper was ridiculously vague at times. The topics tested on were nice and broad but .. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Am i the only one who found the short questions alot harder ! Everything else went great!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

Q10 (b) (iv) If the allele for smooth were linked to the allele for green and the allele for wrinkled werelinked to the allele for yellow, give the genotypes of the two gametes that parent SsYy would produce in the greatest numbers

this baffled me................ i just got the two linked gametes that were like Sy and sY ?? thats all you needed to say??

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BellaVerita

Did anyone else say muscular tissue for an animal tissue? What did ye say was its its role? Is "insulates and protects muscles" correct by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Grey matter is composed of dendrites and cell bodies, white matter is composed of axons only.

I wrote exactly that....will that get me full marks probably?

Also, is there negative marking in section C?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 JadeLC2012

Am i the only one who found the short questions alot harder ! Everything else went great!

I thought the short questions were tricky yeah! caught me off guard a couple of times, but the experiments were lovely i thought! a few more diagrams would have been nice though! the only one that came up was the motor neuron!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

You know when it asked for a function of two things that are only found in neurons or whatever the question was? Dendrites are only found in neurons right? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tankosaur

During the exam I though it was doable but tricky.

But when I got out of the exam looked up some answers/ discussed the questions I felt a great deal more happy with it.

I thought it was a very fair if not easy paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

would the animal tissue be nervous? then carries impulses to and from brain? and has dendrons

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Yea I found them hard enough :/ hope I got most of them right..
    Q10 (b) (iv) If the allele for smooth were linked to the allele for green and the allele for wrinkled werelinked to the allele for yellow, give the genotypes of the two gametes that parent SsYy would produce in the greatest numbers

this baffled me................ i just got the two linked gametes that were like Sy and sY ?? thats all you needed to say??

Yea, thats all I said :)
    Did anyone else say muscular tissue for an animal tissue? What did ye say was its its role? Is "insulates and protects muscles" correct by any chance?

I went with cardiac.. only one I could confidently remember :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

leaveiton wrote: »
    You know when it asked for a function of two things that are only found in neurons or whatever the question was? Dendrites are only found in neurons right? :/
    Although I don't think it's mentioned in the LC Biology course... Dendrites are also found on the dendritic cells of the immune system. They look similar in shape but have a completely different structure.

I would have said Schwann cells and axons.

Genotypes of the gametes they asked, and I put that down, just not in Sy sY form, I put down the two chromosomes. Hope I get the marks :(

But the genotypes are the combinations of Gametes? I think I said the most common genotypes were SSyy and ssYY. I could be wrong! Perhaps you'll get the marks? :confused:

Animal tissue I said nervous, adaptation was myelin sheat that insulates impulse making it go faster. That a valid adaptation?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

Did anyone get purine and pyrimidine for the two types of bases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

I said connective tissue and that it joins and supports other body structures.. How it does it I said its long, tough tissue which is hard to break but I think that parts wrong:o

Advertisement