Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Although I don't think it's mentioned in the LC Biology course... Dendrites are also found on the dendritic cells of the immune system. They look similar in shape but have a completely different structure.

Thanks! I might get away with it seeing as it's not covered on the LC curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

But the genotypes are the combinations of Gametes? I think I said the most common genotypes were SSyy and ssYY. I could be wrong! Perhaps you'll get the marks? :confused:

It only asked for the gametes.. fairly sure you didn't have to do a punnet square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I said muscle and then its adaption was that it was striated for strength? Not sure if that was right. :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Also, is there negative marking in section C?

Nope, your best questions will be taken.
    leaveiton wrote: »
    You know when it asked for a function of two things that are only found in neurons or whatever the question was? Dendrites are only found in neurons right? :/

Yup! You should be fine at least for LC level.
    Did anyone else say muscular tissue for an animal tissue? What did ye say was its its role? Is "insulates and protects muscles" correct by any chance?
    Sunny!! wrote: »
    would the animal tissue be nervous? then carries impulses to and from brain? and has dendrons

I think this is from the cell diversity chapter in the book. As far as I remember, there's muscle tissue, epithelial tissue, connective tissue and nervous tissue. Any of those should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I said skin because I could not think of a single thing. I know it's wrong though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I thought the ecology question was a step in the right direction. Very little learning off and instead using your knowledge of bio. I say good job SEC on the bio paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

But the genotypes are the combinations of Gametes? I think I said the most common genotypes were SSyy and ssYY. I could be wrong! Perhaps you'll get the marks? :confused:

Omg! This is exactly what I said. Is it wrong? Will it cost me lot of marks> :eek::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Those would be genotypes of the f1 progeny. Even at that, the SysY genotype would have been more common.

What was asked was genotypes of the gametes themselves, it very nearly caught me out as well.
    Did anyone else say muscular tissue for an animal tissue? What did ye say was its its role? Is "insulates and protects muscles" correct by any chance?
    I did say muscular tissue, but I said movement was the function. muscular tissue = muscle

Muscle tissue adapted because it has a high concentration of mitochondria for movement.

leaveiton wrote: »
    I said skin because I could not think of a single thing. I know it's wrong though :P

Skin is an organ. :P You could've said epidermis :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

I'm pretty sure he'll get the marks. You might not though. Gametes are haploid so there going to be Sy and sY... Hopefully theyll be lenient cause I'd say a lot of people didn't get that question. I must've read it ten times...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tankosaur

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I said muscle and then its adaption was that it was striated for strength? Not sure if that was right. :S

I said muscle and my adaption was it's able to flex to move bones.

Since oit's such a general question i'm sure the marking scheme will just be

any 1 tissue 3 marks

any correct adaptation 3 marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Isn't epidermis -> dermal tissue? I thought it asked for animal tissue but I could be wrong:pac:

reznov wrote: »
    Muscle tissue adapted because it has a high concentration of mitochondria for movement.

I said this too :) The more I think about this paper the happier I am with how it went. I'm so glad I didn't sleep last night, I think I'd be quite upset about biology if I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

finality wrote: »
    Those would be genotypes of the f1 progeny. Even at that, the SysY genotype would have been more common.

What was asked was genotypes of the gametes themselves, it very nearly caught me out as well.

So writing the f1 progeny genotype will cost me a lot of marks? I showed everything step by step though......

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

reznov wrote: »

Would saying it's contractile be ok here?

For the homeostasis question, could ye say that the liver provides body heat? And the heat is needed by the body for internal reactions? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

Did anyone get purine and pyrimidine for the two types of bases?

Yes! Pretty sure that's what they wanted... I wrote down A and C first then when I saw the next question I changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Sorry guys I've asked it but it's annoying me! For the gametes I did a chromosome with S and y and another with s and Y. Is that okay you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Is blood a tissue? That's what I put down, when it asked how it's adapted I just wrote that it's a fluid and minerals dissolve easily in it or something like that.

• Advertisement

Is blood a tissue? That's what I put down, when it asked how it's adapted I just wrote that it's a fluid and minerals dissolve easily in it or something like that.

Nope, sorry :(

Would saying it's contractile be ok here?

Not sure. I know of the mitochondria concentration though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

"Suggest one reason why leaf yeasts are more plentiful in July than in March." what did ya'll say for that? I said that because there was less rain? :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Blood is a tissue. Its a load of cells spread out in a matrix :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I said blood too! It falls under connective tissue in the book anyway.

"Suggest one reason why leaf yeasts are more plentiful in July than in March." what did ya'll say for that? I said that because there was less rain? :S

I said cos the leaves would be bigger/more leaves.. hence theres more room and places for yeast to grow :S

Nope. It is technically vascular tissue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Mista wrote: »
    Nope, sorry :(
    Chuchoter wrote: »
    Blood is a tissue. Its a load of cells spread out in a matrix :)

I don't know what to believe anymore :( Wiki says it's a tissue, so I hope it's on the marking scheme!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tankosaur

smithy77 wrote: »
    Isn't epidermis -> dermal tissue? I thought it asked for animal tissue but I could be wrong:pac:

Epidermis is skin.

• Advertisement

I said for the leaf one that yeast had more time to colonise the leaves. Thus more yeast.

Advertisement