Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I said an animal might get in and eat it.
    I think the general answer was type of dispersal+explain.

Damn fugitive plants :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I said the same but talked about other types of dispersal also

Was worried for a second there that it wasn't a 3 mark question, but there are 9 parts to that 27 mark section of the question, so it must've only been 3. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Chuchoter wrote: »

Terribly phrased question, couldn't help but laugh when I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

I said wind pollination, oops:o

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ashalingable

Chuchoter wrote: »

I said that too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

for spongy bone is a function support??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Sunny!! wrote: »

Yeah I think.. It gives support without weighing the bone down too much.

I said it was. I had no clue about that boney short question though, I pretty much guessed what they were and guessed a function, don't think I'll be counting that question haha.

Yeah I think.. It gives support without weighing the bone down too much.

and you know for the bone marrow? would red and white blood cells be correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 drbtrenier

that was actually challenging... after getting 98% in the mocks, im sort of shocked... hopefully il still get the a1, but i think that was genuinely the most dificult bio exam to date, looking through the papers, it seemed a fair bit trickier... still wasnt too bad, just a bit dodgy...

With you there, feeling exactly the same... well, I only got 96% in the mocks, but still! Definitely thought that was a lot tougher, as did a lot of people in my school. Really really hoping I can scrape my A1, really need it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Damn spongy bone! Put down yellow marrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

If it's not too much, can someone please write the answers to the genetic question here? :o

I thought the mock was piss easy. I did it at home timed and got only 2 parts wrong lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

reznov wrote: »
    I simply said that the pollen could be dispersed thorough the various types of dispersal. Listed all of them

Yep I said that the seeds could be dispersed by wind dispersal, animal dispersal, water dispersal or self dispersal, but that wind, animal and water were more likely as they would provide a greater are of dispersal or something like that :P

I knew writing skin as a tissue was wrong in the exam for the record but I could honestly think of nothing else and I don't like leaving blanks :pac:

do people think the ecology part B long questions will me marked easy?? I gave valid explanations i think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Damn spongy bone! Put down yellow marrow.

I did the same, the diagram was a little ambiguous...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tankosaur

finality wrote: »
    What did people say for this actually? I said that the seeds of a flowering plant may be wind dispersed.

I said wind dispersed.

I doubted any other form ( bar maybe animal) would be correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    If it's not too much, can someone please write the answers to the genetic question here? :o

Just off the top of my head, so not guaranteed that these are right :P

Name the two types of nitrogenous base found in DNA - purine and pyramidine
    Give both of the specific base pairs in DNA structure - guanine/cytosine, adenine/thymine

In the sweet pea plant the texture and colour of the testa (seed coat) are governed by two pairs of alleles, which are not linked. The allele for smooth (S) is dominant to the allele for wrinkled (s) and the allele for yellow (Y) is dominant to the allele for green (y)

State the Law of Segregation and the Law of Independent Assortment - look up the definitions in the book ;)

Give the genotype of a pea plant that is homozygous in respect of seed texture and heterozygous in respect of seed colour - I would think that SSYy or ssYy would both be accepted, as homozygous can be dominant or recessive.

State the phenotype that will result from the genotype referred to in 1 - SSYy would give smooth, yellow coats, ssYy would give wrinkled yellow coats.

What phenotype will be produced by the genotype SsYy - smooth, yellow coats
    Give another genotype that will produce the same phenotype. Do not use a genotype that you have already given in response to part (ii) 1 - SSYY

If the allele for smooth were linked to the allele for green and the allele for wrinkled were linked to the allele for yellow, give the genotypes of the two gametes that parent SsYy would produce in the greatest numbers - Sy, sY

You should be able to find all the genetic engineering ones in the book, nothing out of the ordinary there.

Is IVF an application of tissue culture? I put that and micropropagation. I know the latter is right, but I'm not sure about IVF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 biolog.ie

do people think the ecology part B long questions will me marked easy?? I gave valid explanations i think anyway.

It is not expected that you know the correct answers for these critical thinking questions. If your explanations were logical then you'll get the marks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Caoimhelicious

Eeek I said there were no root hairs !?

Also said how companies could use this info about the colours was used coloured lights or use stained glass in their greenhouses??

It could be any dispersal. It was just some conservation. The plant could be of any species.

Oh crap. Was it that Info specifically? Crap! I thought we could give any factors to increase photosynthesis rate.

Oh crap. Was it that Info specifically? Crap! I thought we could give any factors to increase photosynthesis rate.

Didn't it say something like "taking this into account"? I said he could make his glasshouses out of blue, violet or red glass.

Is IVF an application of tissue culture? I put that and micropropagation. I know the latter is right, but I'm not sure about IVF.

Hmmm, I doubt it as you aren't actually growing the tissue outside of an organism? Could be wrong though! I said stem cells

Didn't it say something like "taking this into account"? I said he could make his glasshouses out of blue, violet or red glass.

From the information provided by the graph suggest how a commercial grower
    might try to increase crop yield in his glasshouses or tunnels

I said examine the crops to see which pigments they had and what coloured light they best absorb and change his greenhouse accordingly :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

BL1993 wrote: »
    It's on the syllabus, so please stop complaining. There was nothing wrong with that exam. I studied the course using the syllabus and found it to be a fair and rewarding paper for those that took the time to study the different areas of Biology.

....Where am I complaining. I am entitled to say that I found it difficult. I got an A1 so I'm not angry or anything, I'm just pointing out that it was significantly harder than previous years. It took a completely different slant on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Just off the top of my head, so not guaranteed that these are right :P

Name the two types of nitrogenous base found in DNA - purine and pyramidine
    Give both of the specific base pairs in DNA structure - guanine/cytosine, adenine/thymine

In the sweet pea plant the texture and colour of the testa (seed coat) are governed by two pairs of alleles, which are not linked. The allele for smooth (S) is dominant to the allele for wrinkled (s) and the allele for yellow (Y) is dominant to the allele for green (y)

State the Law of Segregation and the Law of Independent Assortment - look up the definitions in the book ;)

Give the genotype of a pea plant that is homozygous in respect of seed texture and heterozygous in respect of seed colour - I would think that SSYy or ssYy would both be accepted, as homozygous can be dominant or recessive.

State the phenotype that will result from the genotype referred to in 1 - SSYy would give smooth, yellow coats, ssYy would give wrinkled yellow coats.

What phenotype will be produced by the genotype SsYy - smooth, yellow coats
    Give another genotype that will produce the same phenotype. Do not use a genotype that you have already given in response to part (ii) 1 - SSYY

If the allele for smooth were linked to the allele for green and the allele for wrinkled were linked to the allele for yellow, give the genotypes of the two gametes that parent SsYy would produce in the greatest numbers - Sy, sY

You should be able to find all the genetic engineering ones in the book, nothing out of the ordinary there.

Thanks a million! You're a star :D

I think I might have got most the genotype and phenotype questions almost right, except may be 1. That's a lot of stress off my mind, can finally study for french. :p Though I don't know why I did it the complicated way, now I look at it, it's such an easy question. Stress. Hope they wouldn't cut off to many marks. :/ Anyway, thank you soooo much. :)

Edit:- Actually one more question, if your answer is correct but the method not fully correct, will you still get the marks? And if the answer is in the steps shown but you didn't write it down as the final answer- is that a 0?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I said he could use more blue/violet/red light or less green/yellow/orange light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

leaveiton wrote: »
    I said he could use more blue/violet/red light or less green/yellow/orange light.
    Exactly what I said.

Anyone notice the question before that? It asked what colourS (plural) chlorophyll A absorbs and what colour (singular) B absorbs. Almost caught be out, the sneaky bastards.

Advertisement