Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Caoimhelicious

Nitsuj wrote: »
    Exactly what I said.

Anyone notice the question before that? It asked what colourS (plural) chlorophyll A absorbs and what colour (singular) B absorbs. Almost caught be out, the sneaky bastards.

Ha ha ha ha was thinking the EXACT same !! To think i always wondered why our teacher raved on about underlining key words !! :P
    Goes to show u cant be too careful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Exactly what I said.

Anyone notice the question before that? It asked what colourS (plural) chlorophyll A absorbs and what colour (singular) B absorbs. Almost caught be out, the sneaky bastards.

Same! :P

What did ye all say for 12. (b) (ii)
    What happens to yellow light when it strikes a leaf?

I said it's not absorbed, it's deflected... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

its reflected away by the leaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Exactly what I said.

Well they did bold it like :P

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

Same! :P

What did ye all say for 12. (b) (ii)
    What happens to yellow light when it strikes a leaf?

I said it's not absorbed, it's deflected... ?
    Well, I knew green light is reflected, so because the line wasn't completely flat, I said "most is reflected".

• Advertisement

Well, I knew green light is reflected, so because the line wasn't completely flat, I said "most is reflected".

But it didn't say in reference or taking account the graph like it did in the subsequent question I thought it was more of a general question? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Functions of Medulla Oblongata and Hypothalamus?

All I could remember was MO links the spinal cord and the rest of the brain and the hypothalamus connects the endocrine system and the nervous system. They aren't functions, are they? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

But it didn't say in reference or taking account the graph like it did in the subsequent question I thought it was more of a general question? :(
    Yeah, I guess you'd get away with it.

cocopopsxx wrote: »

All I could remember was MO links the spinal cord and the rest of the brain and the hypothalamus connects the endocrine system and the nervous system. They aren't functions, are they? :/

MO - involuntary actions such as breathing
    Hyp - homeostasis(specifically heat regulation)

MO - involuntary actions such as breathing
    Hyp - homeostasis

Thanks, completely blanked out in there. 6 marks gone. Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I said the hypothalmus secretes hormones such as thyroid stimulating hormone releasing hormone but I'm not sure if that'd be accepted since it's more to do with the endocrine system than the nervous system.

leaveiton wrote: »
    I said the hypothalmus secretes hormones such as thyroid stimulating hormone releasing hormone but I'm not sure if that'd be accepted since it's more to do with the endocrine system than the nervous system.

That's secreted by the pituitary gland isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Yeah isn't the hypothalamus ADH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Not sure if you'd get the marks for the medulla oblongata one (controls involuntary actions, breathing), but your answer for the hypothalamus is correct, and that is a function. The hypothalamus has so many functions there certainly won't be just one on the marking scheme.

That's secreted by the pituitary gland isn't it?

Thyroid stimulating hormone is, but the hypothalmus secretes thyroid stimulating releasing hormone to get the pituitary gland to secrete in in the first place! :pac:

Not sure if you'd get the marks for the medulla oblongata one (controls involuntary actions, breathing), but your answer for the hypothalamus is correct, and that is a function. The hypothalamus has so many functions there certainly won't be just one on the marking scheme.

Really? Thanks! I need all the marks I can get. :p Thank you! :)

Just one more question in relation the genetics question you just answered- if your answer is correct but the method not fully correct, will you still get the marks? And if the answer is in the steps shown but you didn't write it down as the final answer- is that a 0?
    Sorry, I must be annoying you. :o

Thyroid stimulating hormone is, but the hypothalmus secretes thyroid stimulating releasing hormone to get the pituitary gland to secrete in in the first place! :pac:

Oh cool! Learn something new everyday :)

It secretes thyrotropin-releasing hormone which then stimulates thyroid stimulating hormone from the pituitary. Even if you're talking about the endocrine system that's fine, the question asked for the "function of these parts of the brain", it wouldn't really matter if the function was neuro or endocrine related, as parts of the brain are involved in both.
    Namlub wrote: »
    Yeah isn't the hypothalamus ADH?

Yup, but there's loads more along with that.

It secretes thyrotropin-releasing hormone which then stimulates thyroid stimulating hormone from the pituitary. Even if you're talking about the endocrine system that's fine, the question asked for the "function of these parts of the brain", it wouldn't really matter if the function was neuro or endocrine related, as parts of the brain are involved in both.

Ah, my teacher always called it thyroid stimulating hormone releasing hormone. Do you reckon I'd still get the marks?

Just one more question in relation the genetics question you just answered- if your answer is correct but the method not fully correct, will you still get the marks? And if the answer is in the steps shown but you didn't write it down as the final answer- is that a 0?
    Sorry, I must be annoying you. :o

What sort of method did you use? Hard to say without seeing what you did! :)

No worries, I'm not doing the exams so its fine :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 whatsec

jibs wrote: »
    Mista wrote: »
    I said it would be reflected :) as it wasn't being absorbed or something.

It is absorbed and it causes little photosynthesis. It's green that doesn't get absorbed, thats why plants are green.

I said it doesn't get absorbed & gets reflected too. I knew that green didn't get absorbed and I figured since the yellow was equal to the green on the graph it would be something similar. id say it'd get some marks

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

whatsec wrote: »
    I said it doesn't get absorbed & gets reflected too. I knew that green didn't get absorbed and I figured since the yellow was equal to the green on the graph it would be something similar. id say it'd get some marks

I'd imagine that the green drowns out the yellow colour.. after all, ye need yellow to make green :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whatsec

finality wrote: »
    Chuchoter wrote: »
    I just went by the diagram it gave. If green isn't absorbed than neither is yellow.

This was my reasoning too, I thought it was a trick question on that basis.
    dmca93 wrote: »
    Slightly odd paper I thought but not too difficult over all. I did every question on the paper except the leaf yeast experiment, hope that surves me well! For the differences lipids can have did you guys say that it could have a phosphate instead of one of the fatty acids? I was going to make sum reference to differerent ratios of the C H and O but I stuck with that one in the end.

No, phospholipids and lipids are two different things. I went with the ratios, but I think it's wrong. As far as I know the correct answer is that different lipids have different fatty acids.

was the question not the difference between different fat molecules? I dunno, maybe I'm wrong

What sort of method did you use? Hard to say without seeing what you did! :)

No worries, I'm not doing the exams so its fine :P

It's kind of complicated ...I showed the gametes that it'd produce and then wrote the answer..if that makes sense? :o
    And then in one, I re-read the question and realised I did the wrong thing so wrote out the right answer next to the genotype but forgot to cut out the long wrong thing I did below it so the wrong bit is still a part of my answer even though I was meant to cross it out but never did. :o Will that get me a 0?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

bazinga_ wrote: »
    i couldn't think of what else could happen so i just said absorbed :( so annoyed at myself, made so many stupid mistakes :mad:

I said it's absorbed by another pigment, my teacher said I should get the marks :S :pac:

I said it splits up into different colours hahaha :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Everytime I look at this thread, I see another question that I got wrong.

I should stop looking at this thread :pac:

It's kind of complicated ...I showed the gametes that it'd produce and then wrote the answer..if that makes sense? :o
    And then in one, I re-read the question and realised I did the wrong thing so wrote out the right answer next to the genotype but forgot to cut out the long wrong thing I did below it so the wrong bit is still a part of my answer even though I was meant to cross it out but never did. :o Will that get me a 0?

I wouldn't stress out about it, I'd say if you have the answer on the paper (and you don't have it surrounded by all the other possible combinations :p) you should be ok. Especially since you have the answer written up at the top with your genotype, they'll probably just see everything underneath it as rough work/overcomplicating things when you already got the right answer :)

I wouldn't stress out about it, I'd say if you have the answer on the paper (and you don't have it surrounded by all the other possible combinations :p) you should be ok. Especially since you have the answer written up at the top with your genotype, they'll probably just see everything underneath it as rough work/overcomplicating things when you already got the right answer :)

Okay that's a relief. Thanks a million, really. You're so nice! Thanks a lot. :)
    Off to study french now. Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Auxin is an example of a plant growth regulator right?

Advertisement