Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

If you want an A1, there is not such thing as ''leaving things out''
    I'll be doing all the expt questions and an extra long question.. just incase :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Do we need to know the measures for chemicals in the experiments?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

biohaiid wrote: »
    Do we need to know the measures for chemicals in the experiments?

Nope :)

Joey. wrote: »
    Nope :)

Definately not?
    So what, we'd just say like 'Add yeast' instead of 'Add 2g yeast' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

biohaiid wrote: »
    Definately not?
    So what, we'd just say like 'Add yeast' instead of 'Add 2g yeast' ?

Maybe in the IAA experiment, but otherwise there's no need for them. So yeah pretty much :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Did 2.5 hours of biology there went over Unit 1 & 2 and did a few exam questions aswell:) .. Going to do the experiments and human anatomy tomorrow and hope the rest sticks to my brain:p

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

Not so sure leaving genetics out is a good idea? There could be 2 longs questions on it like our mock, and it's very easy to get marks in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Genetics is repetitive and the questions they ask are limited. Not worth leaving it out whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

reznov wrote: »
    Genetics is repetitive and the questions they ask are limited. Not worth leaving it out whatsoever.

Bit random but if your doing ag science aswell genetics is important to learn for that and biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Worried101

HELP!

I really want a C1\B3 in biology, but would like advice for what Experiments to focus on! As they are worth 20% of the toaltal grade! In my mocks i would had done better but didnt really know the exps. in depth.
    I've been focusing on effect of co2 on photsynthesis and ph exps., any other suggestions regarding exps. or exams?!?!?

Does anyone think genetics will come up on shorts, as i dont know that chapter well at all, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Worried101 wrote: »
    Does anyone think genetics will come up on shorts, as i dont know that chapter well at all, thanks!

It's come up in shorts and longs. Sometimes both.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ashalingable

I'm really hoping for an A1, I've left nothing out.....so fingers crossed :/
    and I was just wondering should i do an extra question from section C or should i just do four really really well? ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

and I was just wondering should i do an extra question from section C or should i just do four really really well? ??

There's usually plenty of time left over in biology, so if you had the time to do an extra question I definitely would. It won't cost you anything and even if you're confident on the 4 you've done, you never know if you've misread a question etc and could do with a backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

AWWW God, I'm not the best at Biology so I literally predicted the **** out of the course. I was fairly confident that my predictions would get be the B I want......but after the last few days. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 barryprp

personally id do four really well and cram ever bit of information into it i knew...make sure that what your including is correct do...a wrong answer cancels out a right answer...dam negative marking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

DNA, Ecology, Photosynthesis, Respiration and Digestion are the key things I'd know for this year. You can almost guarantee a question on at least 4 of them either in short questions or long questions. Excretion came up last year so I reckon there won't be a long question on it this year. (don't hold me to that though if one does turn up :pac:) Although in saying that you should still know the general gist of it in case it turns up in the short questions

Also, know your experiments well. Not only are they worth 60 marks but the info you learn from them will definitely help you in other parts of the test. I'd say we can also expect an experiment similar to last year's q7, not an experiment we've actually done but one testing the theory behind them.

My favourite chapters! Don't forget reproduction too!

ye, experiments should be a handy 60 marks hopefully but I was out doing the leaf yeast and dissection so I'm not as good with them as others.

My sister gave me her dissecting kit from college so I plan on doing dissections over the summer <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

barryprp wrote: »
    personally id do four really well and cram ever bit of information into it i knew...make sure that what your including is correct do...a wrong answer cancels out a right answer...dam negative marking!

In my mocks I did them all except 1.

If you do want to do an extra question, I recommend doing an extra part in the 14 or 15 part. That's what I plan on doing. Do all 3 ; a/b/c

• Registered Users Posts: 32 PTheArtist

I'd say the IAA experiment and one of the enzyme experiments will show up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 barryprp

ChemHickey wrote: »
    In my mocks I did them all except 1.

If you do want to do an extra question, I recommend doing an extra part in the 14 or 15 part. That's what I plan on doing. Do all 3 ; a/b/c

ya fair point..thats not a bad idea..incase ya make a balls of one of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

Ugh, really don't want the IAA to come! It's the most complicated method in my opinion and describing the serial dilution is just tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Yeah I think the IAA experiment could be likely, there's a new course coming in for 2014 and my teacher said it's not on it, so they might throw it up while it's still on the course. Think she might have said that for the enzyme immobilisation too, not sure though. However, it could mean nothing at all either. :P

I have spent all day at biology.
    I only got the plant, genetic and human reproduction sections done. I'm screwed. ):

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

i'm not taking any more chances with predictions.. not after english. :L haha gonna study me arse off for biology! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

you have three friggen hours (which is the most ridiculous lc exam timing ever imo) if youre looking for the a1 chances are you know your stuff like the back of your hand and propably will have time for an extra question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Spending all of tomorrow on Biology. Was supposed to do the same today but I was sick. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'd do all the questions on the paper. Every single full length biology exam I sat over fifth and sixth year took me at most 1.5 hours to finish. In the actual LC, even with the extra effort I put in to my answers I finished every single question on the paper in less than two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Do you think if I learnt all of the ecology theory and left out the experiments I'd be ok? Hope to get an A1 as I got 86% in the Mocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Do you think if I learnt all of the ecology theory and left out the experiments I'd be ok? Hope to get an A1 as I got 86% in the Mocks!

If you left out the experiments altogether you wouldn't be able to get an A1 as you'd be down 60 marks! Unless I'm misinterpreting the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

leaveiton wrote: »
    If you left out the experiments altogether you wouldn't be able to get an A1 as you'd be down 60 marks! Unless I'm misinterpreting the question.

Oh no I meant just the ecology ones that can come up in the experiments section! God I'd never leave out all the experiments :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

leaveiton wrote: »
    there's a new course coming in for 2014

what's this?

Advertisement