Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

leaveiton wrote: »
    Ah, my teacher always called it thyroid stimulating hormone releasing hormone. Do you reckon I'd still get the marks?

You should be ok as you have the theory of the hypothalamus releasing a hormone to stimulate the pituitary to release another hormone. I don't think thyrotropin-releasing hormone is specifically named on the syllabus anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Auxin is an example of a plant growth regulator right?

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Thought it was a lovely paper overall. My friends were all of a similar opinion so I hope it won't be marked too hard.
    Gave up my biology books today :D
    These were the questions I got stuck on. If anyone had the answers it would be much appreciated :)
    What is the function of the cerebeum and cerebullum
    How do you expose the semi lunar valve
    Another type of white blood cell
    In the picture of the bone what was x?
    Two advantages of the rhizo pus in zygospore formation?
    How does this differ from yeast ?
    Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whatsec

do you guys think controlling the pituitary gland would be a function of the hypothalamus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

It reflects. Yellow is a requirement to make green. It's absorption was negligible to declare it as absorbed. Very slight absorption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

whatsec wrote: »
    do you guys think controlling the pituitary gland would be a function of the hypothalamus?

That should be fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Anyway I'm glad they put up questions like this. At least it isn't plain old regurgitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Thought it was a lovely paper overall. My friends were all of a similar opinion so I hope it won't be marked too hard.
    These were the questions I got stuck on. If anyone had the answers it would be much appreciated :)

Cerebrum - memory
    Cerebellum - Balance
    Cut up along the aorta/pulmonary artery
    Monocyte
    Spongy Bone
    didnt do the other questions sorry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Absolutely lovely paper! There wasn't a question on the entire paper that I didn't answer. Got every single long Q answered in time! :D
    I hope I've done enough to secure my A1. Im feeling confident :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

cerebrum- thinking, speech, controlling voluntary actions
    cerebellum- controls balance

cut open the aorta or pulmonary artery

Don't know the others offhand, meh

• Advertisement

Cerebrum - memory
    Cerebellum - Balance
    Cut up along the aorta/pulmonary artery
    Monocyte
    Spongy Bone
    didnt do the other questions sorry :)

Is leucocyte a type of white blood cell I wrote it down and for the life of me I cant say where it came from :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Is leucocyte a type of white blood cell I wrote it down and for the life of me I cant say where it came from :P

Leucocyte is just another word for white blood cell - monocytes and lymphocytes are leucocytes

it's like the way red blood cells are also called erythrocytes

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Phagocyte okay for other WBC?
    And whats function of Suppressor T cells? Couldn't really remember but I put down 'shuts down immune system after infection has been dealt with' ? Somewhat right? Literally too lazy to look it up in book :L :pac:

finality wrote: »
    Leucocyte is just another word for white blood cell - monocytes and lymphocytes are leucocytes

it's like the way red blood cells are also called erythrocytes

Thanks its all over now anyway. Did all the questions. 13 didnt go so well but the rest went perfectly (except that blood cells one !! :p)

Hayezer wrote: »
    And whats function of Suppressor T cells? Couldn't really remember but I put down 'shuts down immune system after infection has been dealt with' ? Somewhat right? Literally too lazy to look it up in book :L :pac:

The function of the supressor is to turn off the immune response...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

You might get it seeing as how mono and granulo cytes are both phagocytic!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

The function of the supressor is to turn off the immune response...
    Gah said turns off immune system, so stupid when I think about it :L oh well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

I said Macrophages. I reckon they'll accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jibs

Its turn to turn off the immune system, I'd say you would get the marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

It's none of my business, really, but I think you people are dwelling too much, discussing answers, etc. Nothing will change, you're just destroying your confidence as you're finding out that the stuff you put down was wrong. Focus on the next exams. Unless you're done, that it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

they will except monocyte right? and for that plant in captivity question in ecology im along the right lines talking about dispersal?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jibs

Mista wrote: »
    I'd imagine that the green drowns out the yellow colour.. after all, ye need yellow to make green :P

Ya, we also need blue and did you see how important blue was?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

jibs wrote: »
    Ya, we also need blue and did you see how important blue was?

You only need a little bit of blue and a lot of yellow to make green :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

oh me god lads. :L i'm so dizzy now after staying up the whole night for that bio!! :L good job i have NOTHING on tomorrow! :D f*ck yeah german. muhahaha :D sleep in!! :D ah can't wait. :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lamie

Mista wrote: »
    You only need a little bit of blue and a lot of yellow to make green :)

In light, primary colours are red, blue and green. Green and red make yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BridgetRB

What was the thing about the colour of the light effecting photosynthesis all about? Neverrr saw that before just guessed :/ ha Be grand sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BridgetRB

Am i the only one who found the short questions alot harder ! Everything else went great!

I found them hard too! Experiments were grand though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Lol that's how long it's supposed to take, says it on the front of the exam paper.

I must have had a different paper, mine told me to do 5 shorts and 2 experiments in an hour. Did yours really say to do 6 and 3 in under an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Juxtaposition

In the last part of the nervous system question, when asked to write about the cause no method of treatment of EITHER Parkinson's or paralysis, I answer it correctly re: Parkinson's, but failed to mention that I was talking about Parkinson's, will I still get the marks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

-Cerebrum: All higher thought (reasoning, ability to speak...)
    -Cerebellum: Basic instinctive functions (balance)
    -Cut a window in the Aorta with a scalpel near the atrium
    -Monocyte
    -It could be spongy bone or red bone marrow I'm pretty sure (My textbook was written by the guy who designed the syllabus and his diagram is labeled as such)
    -Don't know anything about rhizopus (always skip that question) but I think its to do with it being sexual (eg. leads to genetic variety and thus evolution and all that good stuff)
    -Yeast is different because it reproduces asexually by 'budding' (definition of a yeast).

Advertisement