Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

finality wrote: »
    Do you think "they have differing ratios of carbon to hydrogen to oxygen" would be acceptable, partyatmygaff?
    Yeah, i'd say that would be a fine answer. It's more or less the same thing as saying that some fats are saturated while others aren't.

A way of understanding "saturation" in chemistry is that a saturated compound is "saturated" with hydrogens. Double/Triple bonds reduce the total number of hydrogens in the compound which reduces its level of saturation and makes the compound unsaturated. As you'd imagine, that means that the chemical ratios for a saturated and unsaturated compound are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Fiona1993 wrote: »
    Oh holy ****.. I've done the EXACT same.... Noooooooooooo :(
    Me too :(

Ye should be alright. There was another question on the paper that specifically said that you had to identify which one you were talking about (for the grey and white matter question I think), but for that question, if you started talking about L-Dopa they'd have to be extremely picky to mark you down for not saying if it was paralysis or Parkinson's you were treating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mani09

Ye should be alright. There was another question on the paper that specifically said that you had to identify which one you were talking about (for the grey and white matter question I think), but for that question, if you started talking about L-Dopa they'd have to be extremely picky to mark you down for not saying if it was paralysis or Parkinson's you were treating.
    I just said absence of neurotransmitter loss of dopamine .... Would that be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

whatsec wrote: »
    My biology teacher is a correcter so we asked her all this stuff before the exam.

She said for section A if two answers are written down and one is wrong they cancel each other out. if three answers are written and only one is wrong, you get the marks.
    the same applies for section B.

she said for the majority of section C you can write as much as you like and once you have the key words you get the marks. she used an example of how one time she was correcting a question about labour, and the student was like "his water breaks and he goes into the first stage of labour" and they got full marks because they had the words "labour" and "water breaks", even though they were talking about a man.

I think the negative marking thing you spoke about above applies only to questions that say give 2/3/4, which isn't too many questions. for the open ones you can write anything at all and they just pick out the right bits.

also, anything written with brackets around it isn't corrected.

My biology teacher (Kevin Maume) wrote the syllabus and thats not how he marks...

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Hayezer wrote: »
    Phagocyte okay for other WBC?
    And whats function of Suppressor T cells? Couldn't really remember but I put down 'shuts down immune system after infection has been dealt with' ? Somewhat right? Literally too lazy to look it up in book :L :pac:
    Stops the killer T cells
    Fergus_ wrote: »
    Auxin is an example of a plant growth regulator right?
    Yes and ethene is too.

Eeek I said there were no root hairs !?
    So did I should be fine...

Also said how companies could use this info about the colours was used coloured lights or use stained glass in their greenhouses??
    Yea basically filter out certain colours
    Sunny!! wrote: »
    for spongy bone is a function support??

Its function is to make red blood cells

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 gethepoints

Yeovil247 wrote: »
    "How can a plant escape captivity?" They've gone mad this year! I just imagined a plant plucking its roots out and hoping the fence. I think I did fairly well anyway, maybe B1/A2 but that ecology question was quite strange.

For that one I wrote : dispersing its seeds through wind, water, burst dispersal so it can grow somewhere else. Hopefully they'll give marks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fanof

jos360 wrote: »
    My biology teacher (Kevin Maume) wrote the syllabus and thats not how he marks...

1.Did he, really? (write the syllabus) ;)....interesting!!!!
    2.Markers mark the way the marking conference decides they will mark.

bazinga_ wrote: »
    i am kicking myself right now, i lest an hour early and only just realized i wrote about a plant tissue not animal :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    could have sworn it was plant, i read over it so many times! :(

and i wrote auxin not IAA for plant growth regulator :(
    think my parents may be right about me probably losing my course just cos i left early :'( i felt like i was only doubting and second-guessing myself so i may as well leave..

I know it's a bit late now but it's NEVER a good idea to leave early. Read questions again slowly and carefully, its amazing what you miss if you skim over questions under exam pressure. The time allocated is usually needed to answer well.

jos360 wrote: »
    -
    -It could be spongy bone or red bone marrow I'm pretty sure (My textbook was written by the guy who designed the syllabus and his diagram is labeled as such)

Which textbook is this?

smithy77 wrote: »
    Lipids have a Glycerol and 3 fatty acids.
    Phospholipids have a Glycerol, 2 fatty acids and a phosphate

I think that is exactly what they were looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

From which tissues does the placenta develop?

Would Embryonic and Uterine be acceptable for this?

Edit: Found these were accepted on the 2009 Marking Scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

fanof wrote: »

Really? I thought the whole lipid and phospholipid thing was wrong?:confused:
    From which tissues does the placenta develop?

Would Embryonic and Uterine be acceptable for this?

Edit: Found these were accepted on the 2009 Marking Scheme

I only said Embryonic, couldn't think of the other one.. oh well.. half marks:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

fanof wrote: »

So was I way off by just saying the fatty acids could vary? :/ bit of a vague question though, fats can be different in so many ways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

rosualt wrote: »
    So was I way off by just saying the fatty acids could vary? :/ bit of a vague question though, fats can be different in so many ways!

do people think they will accept fatty acids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Really? I thought the whole lipid and phospholipid thing was wrong?:confused:

I only said Embryonic, couldn't think of the other one.. oh well.. half marks:pac:

I said Uterine and Chorionic tissues. I was certain I was right!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

ChemHickey wrote: »

It's outer blastocyst and endometrium cells I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

For the fat questipon, i said the 3 fatty acids can differ, or one of them can be replaced with a phosphate as in the case of phospholipids.. would that be alright? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Partyatmygaff just clarified the fats question.
    A few suitable answers:
    Length of the fatty acids
    Types of fatty acids
    Saturated/Unsaturated fatty acids
    Isomers (Although i'm not sure if that falls under "chemical composition")

I don't think the Phospholipid and Triglyceride answer will work.
    (...)
    So in short... phospholipids and fats are both types of lipids. Phospholipids are not types of fats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You're right about phospholipids but you're confusing lipids and fats in the first sentence.
    Sunny!! wrote: »
    do people think they will accept fatty acids?
    If you said "Different fatty acids" or a "Difference in fatty acids" I'd say you ought to be fine.
    Mista wrote: »
    For the fat questipon, i said the 3 fatty acids can differ, or one of them can be replaced with a phosphate as in the case of phospholipids.. would that be alright? :confused:
    Depends on the marking scheme. You're right about the 3 fatty acids differing but introduced a wrong answer by mentioning phospholipids. Best case scenario, they give you the marks. Worst case scenario, negative marking means you get nothing for that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fiona1993

Mani09 wrote: »

I just said absence of neurotransmitter loss of dopamine .... Would that be ok

Ya I didn't say Parkinson's... I just gave the answers but didn't state what I was talking about.... How many marks would you lose for drawing a sensory neuron instead of a motor?? The functions are the same etc...

• Advertisement

I said Embryo (chorions) and Mother (uterus) :/ Hope I get the marks..
    Ya I didn't say Parkinson's... I just gave the answers but didn't state what I was talking about.... How many marks would you lose for drawing a sensory neuron instead of a motor?? The functions are the same etc...

Not a lot if any... Is the motor one the one with the cell body at the beginning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

I said chorionic villi and the mothers blood vessels and explained how they intertwined and stuff. Think that should be grand like. I just put in a lot of extra info in my answers to be sure. Yeah, the motor neuron has the cell body at the start:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fiona1993

Mista wrote: »

I said Embryo (chorions) and Mother (uterus) :/ Hope I get the marks..

Not a lot if any... Is the motor one the one with the cell body at the beginning?

Yeah, and two branches of neurotransmitter swellings. I said: "Tissue from the endometrium of the mother and tissue from the chorion of the baby"... That's ok isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Embyonic and Uterine is the answer from 2009 for the same question but I'd say you'll be grand.

ei.sderob wrote: »
    I said chorionic villi and the mothers blood vessels and explained how they intertwined and stuff. Think that should be grand like. I just put in a lot of extra info in my answers to be sure. Yeah, the motor neuron has the cell body at the start:D

Thank frig! I was worried I got this one wrong.. would be like me to mix things up :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

ei.sderob wrote: »

Chorionic villi and the mother's blood vessels make up the embryotic tissue (as far as I know).
    And the other its uterine I think.

Just to clear it up for the other people who were wondering. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

biohaiid wrote: »
    Chorionic villi and the mother's blood vessels make up the embryotic tissue (as far as I know).
    And the other its uterine I think.

Just to clear it up for the other people who were wondering. :)

The uterine tissue is the mother's blood vessels like. The blood vessels couldn't be coming from anywhere else like:P I think that's right anyway........

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

How many marks do ye reckon the plant escaping captivity question could possibly get?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

I did absolutely terrible. I should of taken pass, passed about 3 class tests and failed the mocks. WHAT WAS I THINKING!! Don't even think I answered enough for a D3. Said before the test "It'd prob look better to fail honours than pass" UGH :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Megamoo

Does anyone think it was really hard to interpret the questions this year.The genetic crosses in perticular !

Advertisement