Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

It'll come back don't worry. I had the exact same experience for the mocks but I calmed myself down and went in and did it without worrying I it worked out fine.

Okay, hopefully. Thank you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Thank you. Yes, I'll keep revising but I have maths tomorrow and I have to learn a lot for that as well so can't do much bio today. :( but I don't do Irish so I have almost all of tomorrow and Tuesday morning. I just hope it comes back. :( and I hope it's a kind paper. Btw, is it on the syllabus that there'll be 1 long ques from unit 1, 2 from unit 2 and 3 from unit 3 or can they put in as many from any unit as they like? :o

I'm not sure if its on the syllabus but its always been 1 ecology, 1 genetics, half or 1 on photosynthesis or respiration and half or one on plant or human reproduction, and the rest from anywhere. They could change that though I think.

If you're really stuck, cover:
    Food (short q)
    Ecology
    Genetics
    Reproduction
    Photosynthesis/respiration
    Experiments(esp enzymes, alcohol)

That will get you more than half the paper.

K_1 wrote: »

I'm not sure if its on the syllabus but its always been 1 ecology, 1 genetics, half or 1 on photosynthesis or respiration and half or one on plant or human reproduction, and the rest from anywhere. They could change that though I think.

Food (short q)
    Ecology
    Genetics
    Reproduction

thanks a million. :) I have everything you have mentioned covered, + unit 2 and experimrents and a good bit of unit 3 too but it's mainly the plants that I can't get my head around. :/ hopefully I'll have enough choice. Fingers crossed,....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    Despite trying to get my head round those Punnett Squares or whatever they're called, I just can't. Can anyone explain them it's not too difficult? :o Thanks in advance.

Same here. I spent ages reading over the theory tryign to understand it, and that's fine. But when it comes to an exam Q I'm hopeless. Iv'e given up. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

biohaiid wrote: »
    Same here. I spent ages reading over the theory tryign to understand it, and that's fine. But when it comes to an exam Q I'm hopeless. Iv'e given up. :(
    Is there any bit in particular you cannot get your head around? Is it trying to understand what to put in the square, or doing the square itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

i can explain it to you biohaiid in detail if you want, it's best not to use the punnett squares at all until you fully understand the concept behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Is there any bit in particular you cannot get your head around? Is it trying to understand what to put in the square, or doing the square itself?
    hollingr wrote: »
    i can explain it to you biohaiid in detail if you want, it's best not to use the punnett squares at all until you fully understand the concept behind it.

Its the linked or sex linked ones mainly.
    And chromosome diagrams.
    Any help much appreciated!
    I have to study Irish now, but I will check up on this later. Thank you. :)

i'll upload an A4 sheet with step by step explanation and link it here in a while, you'll be grand it's nowhere near as bad as you think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mani09

When it comes to plants I haven't a clue :-( help!!!

Mani09 wrote: »
    Sameee :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Sexual reproduction or all of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

K_1 wrote: »

Food (short q)
    Ecology
    Genetics
    Reproduction

If I where just to look over all this would I pass the paper? Im really worried because I haven't really studied yet and I just about passed it in the mocks :(

Could someone tell me two places in plants where excretion takes place? Thanks...I think 1 place is the meristem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

David1994 wrote: »
    Could someone tell me two places in plants where excretion takes place? Thanks...I think 1 place is the meristem :)

Stomata and Lenticels?

Stomata and Lenticels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Yeah its stomata and lenticels, not meristems.

Namlub wrote: »
    Yeah its stomata and lenticels, not meristems.

Ah right thanks :P For some that was stuck in my head...haha sound for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    If I where just to look over all this would I pass the paper? Im really worried because I haven't really studied yet and I just about passed it in the mocks :(

Last year, the sections outlined were worth 270 marks if you chose to do them all. Now assuming you get say 75% of that stuff right, plus 25% of the rest of the paper right, you would get 58.75%.

Now obviously thats hypothetical, it could be worth less or more than 270 marks and you would prob get more than 25% of the rest of the stuff right if you just attended classes over the last 2 years!

So realistically it should get you at least a pass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mani09

David1994 wrote: »

Sexual reproduction or all of it?
    Just plants in general.... What are the important bits of plants that I should know??

Just plants in general.... What are the important bits of plants that I should know??

Reproduction, transport in plants,monocot and dicot stems(Phloem and xylem)
    Phloem and xylem vessels are commonly asked and a diagram of a dicot stem also :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

I love biology but the thing is I was being lazy all year...and now I'm gonna pay the price...
    Beating myself about it now...
    I actually paid attention in class but I have not done ANY revision until this weekend...ugh...I just lost all my motivation after 5th year..I actually used to get A's in my tests...until I came to the most important year of the LC...what's wrong with me? lol...sorry... a little rant..yeah...back to studying enzymes lol

As promised, link below with some simple genetics notes, focusing on how the gametes are formed and how they rejoin together, hope it helps even a little bit.

http://imgur.com/a/qKLAg

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

should we learn of these experiments: to use simple keys to identify any five fauna and any five flora/to use various pieces of apparatus to collect plants and animals in an ecosystem/to carry out a quantitative study of a habitat?

I don't think there's much they can ask on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Munster07

Schonie wrote: »
    I love biology but the thing is I was being lazy all year...and now I'm gonna pay the price...
    Beating myself about it now...
    I actually paid attention in class but I have not done ANY revision until this weekend...ugh...I just lost all my motivation after 5th year..I actually used to get A's in my tests...until I came to the most important year of the LC...what's wrong with me? lol...sorry... a little rant..yeah...back to studying enzymes lol

Your not alone in that boat!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Kelix wrote: »
    should we learn of these experiments: to use simple keys to identify any five fauna and any five flora/to use various pieces of apparatus to collect plants and animals in an ecosystem/to carry out a quantitative study of a habitat?

I don't think there's much they can ask on them?

Well I won't be (bar the quantitative survey which is worth knowing in detail (and takes 2 minutes to learn even if you haven't done one yourself)), I can't see them asking them, and if they did it would probably be easy to figure it out...
    They might ask in an ecology question how you identified an organism and how you caught one but I can't see them asking the first two as experiment questions.

The quantitative study is unlikely for an experiment question but I'm pretty sure it comes up reasonably often in the ecology long questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ashalingable

you have three friggen hours (which is the most ridiculous lc exam timing ever imo) if youre looking for the a1 chances are you know your stuff like the back of your hand and propably will have time for an extra question

fair point. but would you not say irish paper one is the most ridiculous leaving cert timing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Theorems

They better have a full question on bacteria, viruses, fungi or amoeba.. They are my life..
    Hoping for an A but I just cannot get the plant and human reproduction..
    Biology please be kind

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Theorems wrote: »
    They better have a full question on bacteria, viruses, fungi or amoeba.. They are my life..
    Hoping for an A but I just cannot get the plant and human reproduction..
    Biology please be kind

I didn't get human reproduction for a while, until I did every exam question using my notes then highlighted what came up and then learn't that and now I understand it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

I really don't think ecology is going to come up, based on how they've been with exams so far. I don't really want it to come up either. How is everyone for timing? How much time do you usually have left when you've answered the required amount of questions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

johnson901 wrote: »
    Would i be safe leaving out studying DNA and genetics? Does it always come up as only one question on the paper and possibly short questions? Reallly hate it :(
    Genetics is really easy man, it's just a simple little formula. Do it. Easy marks!

Advertisement