Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beware

Oh, the joy of Leaving Cert Biology :rolleyes: . Makes me wish I did Home Ec instead!

I'm learning my experiments and diagrams tomorrow, and do the rest tonight. I don't know how I'm going to remember every experiment :confused: .

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

How is everyone's timing? How much do you usually have left after you've answered the required amount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

I can't wait to do this exam!

Its basically the only thing I've studied since Jan.
    I just hope sexual reproduction in plants isn't a large question, hate it!
    Or the IAA experiment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Kelix wrote: »
    How is everyone's timing? How much do you usually have left after you've answered the required amount?

I should get it done in around 1 hour 30 mins, they give you too much time in my opinion! 10 minutes more than in Geography, a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

irishdub14 wrote: »
    I should get it done in around 1 hour 30 mins, they give you too much time in my opinion! 10 minutes more than in Geography, a joke!

There can be a lot of writing in it (Especially because I word things in a lengthy manner) and some people are quite slow i.e myself. We need that extra time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 motorola1337

Does anyone know any good websites that go through the marking schemes, show how to answer questions and go over some chapters ? something like studyclix ?...because im more than likely f**cked in this exam...probably the only one where i will do horrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Experiment question is going to be interesting this year :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

why so? Experiments seem grand to me, not much to them.. although I'm sure they find a way to make the q's tricky somehow!

I have one day to revise the whole course, I've only covered each chapter once. Who wants to play magic eight ball for me?

Outlook not good

hollingr wrote: »
    why so? Experiments seem grand to me, not much to them.. although I'm sure they find a way to make the q's tricky somehow!

I have one day to revise the whole course, I've only covered each chapter once. Who wants to play magic eight ball for me?

Outlook not good

Oh, I don't mean difficult. It's just they seem to have changed them up the last 2 years :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i predict a microscope experiment and no enzyme experiment:P

• Advertisement

Well glad this is sorted :) can concentrate on my russian exam now :)
    208475.png

At least there is some ambiguity there motorola!

Lucky for me this exam is meaningless, my place in medicine is contingent on getting a B in chemistry only!

Maybe I'll just try and entertain the corrector.. it's hard to be witty with the questions they ask though. Maybe I should spend the afternoon researching Biology jokes.

hollingr wrote: »
    At least there is some ambiguity there motorola!

Lucky for me this exam is meaningless, my place in medicine is contingent on getting a B in chemistry only!

Maybe I'll just try and entertain the corrector.. it's hard to be witty with the questions they ask though. Maybe I should spend the afternoon researching Biology jokes.

Thank you :D

You could do what i did in the pre exam.

Section A 4(d) Q: How does the mRNA attack itself to the ribosome
    A: using superglue
    4(f) Q: How does the tRNA know at exaclty what position on the mRNA to deposit the amino acid it is carrying:
    A: there is a big roadsign
    69(c) Q:Seeds consist of an embryo plant and an endosperm enclosed by a protective coat. What is the protective coat called
    A: Jack&Jones Bulletproof West

cant find my answer booklet, but i have plenty of stupid answers in there too

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Which is more worthwhile to look at first- unit 2 or plant biology?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Friend of mine writes some funny stuff. Example of predation=mouse catching, killing and eating cheese. Secondary male sexual characteristics=Ability to get women to make us a sandwitch(teacher found it funny :L). Wrote out the lyrics to Fresh Prince of Bel Air for one question, can't remember which one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

If I could say anything to those of you cramming (will be now in a sec :D) the best way to study is to just do past papers. Sit yourself down and do every single paper in your book. I got an E in my mock exams last year until I realized that I had to change the way I was learning. I started to only use exam papers and I got a C1 in my LC. Repeating this year and I got 98% in my Mocks and I'll be going for the same in the LC (hopefully). It really is the best way to learn this subject as you start to recognize what parts of what chapter are important ( If find that there is a lot of information that is just useless as it's never asked). Questions constantly repeat themselves. Just some advice. It may not be for everyone but it I think it is the best way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Normally get A1's, neglected Bio and only realising I've got so much to do :L I've got all tomorrow morning though aswell :D

Hayezer wrote: »
    Normally get A1's, neglected Bio and only realising I've got so much to do :L I've got all tomorrow morning though aswell :D

can i ask why you are not doing irish ? ;D

Hayezer wrote: »

Exact same boat as you mate! Always get A1s but have neglected to study it in the last 3 weeks in favour of other things! Not doing Irish is so sweet :cool:

Love not doing Irish! Better get down to biology study. And Lads, learn off all the experiments fairly well because we have no Idea on what might come up/.

• Advertisement

can i ask why you are not doing irish ? ;D

He could be exempt, foreign, not bothered ;), or didn't do it in primary (There are one or two LETS schools in Dublin that didn't do Irish when I went to them) basically meaning exempt again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nskelton

Any chapters very worth studying? It's hard to know what to study because the syllabus is so broad

Hot topics:

- Photosynthesis
    - genetics (nb sex linkage)
    - Respiration
    - Ecology (equipment, % cover, % frequency)
    - Skeleton hasnt come up for 2 yrs
    - DNA vs RNA
    - Female reproductive hormones
    - Skin
    - Immune system
    - enzymes

I would say focus on unit 2, and diagrams from unit 3. after that you can add on whatever you have time to do!

that's my plan anyways, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

Topics I will revise: EVERYTHING, for fear they try to be unpredictable

Yeah trying to predict exams will always go wrong at some point. If you haven't got the solid foundations to work off of, you have no choice though. If you have time, cover everything. If you don't, there is going to be massive element of luck. Which is why I said best of luck! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EducationFinder

lorrieq wrote: »
    Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Im really fecked for this. Like is it actually possible to learn enough between now and tuesday to pass the exam or preferably get a D1 or possibly C3?

Just go through papers with marking schemes. Learn off the answers. The same questions come up again and again.
    Plant Biology, enzymes, genetics and ecology are going to come up.
    Learn off the experiments. Really easy to do, just understand them. Questions on them are the same every year.

I love how you use the word 'just". Its like you are saying its gonna take 2 seconds :-P

Do the heart.
    Know the experiments.
    I fell asleep studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Champion Gold

I haven't studied since I finished school 3 weeks ago. Genetics, DNA and shizz always comes up and so does ecology so I have to pray for two other nice long questions. I'm going to look over all the questions I've done during the year and try learn some experiments. If I got a C3 in this I would be over the moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

I don't even think i'll bother coming in for this exam. Im going to fail so badly :/

• Advertisement

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    I don't even think i'll bother coming in for this exam. Im going to fail so badly :/
    i was considering this....since only 6 count towards points and im doing 7 and doing really well in all other subjects...i could probably not go in...i know i wouldnt pass it...

Advertisement