Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

i was considering this....since only 6 count towards points and im doing 7 and doing really well in all other subjects...i could probably not go in...i know i wouldnt pass it...

I wouldn't even pass ordinary level either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ellie66

Really want to pass biology with at least a C2, what must I know ? and what chapters can I skim over? Thanks ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    I don't even think i'll bother coming in for this exam. Im going to fail so badly :/
    i was considering this....since only 6 count towards points and im doing 7 and doing really well in all other subjects...i could probably not go in...i know i wouldnt pass it...

A science is a requirement for a lot of courses. You've come this far already, you will definitely have picked things up over the last 2 years of classes and tests, even if you haven't studied it in a while! The ordinary level paper is also an option if you're convinced you can't sit the higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

is it possible to leave out any chapter? thinking i might leave out human reproduction, can just skip that q shur!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

40 chapters, 22 mandatory experiments, 1 night.

Challenge accepted. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Lads what questions would ye focus on for the short Q.s? They seem to be all over the place...:P

David1994 wrote: »
    Lads what questions would ye focus on for the short Q.s? They seem to be all over the place...:P

Food is always there. A lot of the most important stuff that you'd probably be focussing on for the long questions can also crop up in the short questions, like bits on ecology, genetic crosses, photosynthesis/resp and mitosis. There's nothing specific that would only come up in short questions, your study for the long qs should cover you for most things. Diagrams are also pretty common.

Food is always there. A lot of the most important stuff that you'd probably be focussing on for the long questions can also crop up in the short questions, like bits on ecology, genetic crosses, photosynthesis/resp and mitosis. There's nothing specific that would only come up in short questions, your study for the long qs should cover you for most things. Diagrams are also pretty common.

Ah thanks thats cool :D Mitosis does seem to come up a lot so will definetly know that. Right I am off to study Biology now!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Right guys im stuck on one bit here i need a perfect definition for
    Mendels Law of segregation

Law of independent assortment

I dnt have either of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mani09

The law of segregation states that organisms contain 2 factors for every trait. The factors separate in gamete formation producing gametes with only 1 copy of each factor. Mendels law of independent assortment states that alleles of any one gene are transmitted independently of any other pair of alleles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

You can just say allele instead of factor if it's easier btw.
    Independent Assortment means that at gamete formation, either of a pair of alleles is equally likely to combine with either of another pair alleles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mani09

Just wondering is it possible to get an A1 without knowing plants but knowing everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 2 xxunxnamedxx

YES!! I'm so looking forward to this paper! I'm actually really confident that I can get an A2, at least! :D.... I've been going ninja crazy on my papers and notes over the past week and I've seriously improved, from not even being able to attempt the mock because I knew nothing at all! :P I'm going to DESTROY this paper!!! :D

Mani09 wrote: »
    Just wondering is it possible to get an A1 without knowing plants but knowing everything else

Probably yes :D Well...most of the past papers you would be able to get an A without knowing plants I think..But they might throw it into the short questions too and could get caught out! Should be fine though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Kind of buzzing for biology now! I'm halfway through my experiments and am hoping to get the rest done before 9. I'm really glad I've worked in biology for the past two years because if I hadn't this revision would be a lot more difficult. :D

Also for those stuck on what to look over, I'd suggest having a look at this list:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?8buduuk996x5xuv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I'm halfway through my experiments and am hoping to get the rest done before 9

You won't if you're posting here. :P

The link appears to have crashed. :pac:

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    You won't if you're posting here. :P

Challenge accepted. :cool:

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    The link appears to have crashed. :pac:

Are you sure? I just clicked on it again and it worked fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cosmic.Postman

Kind of buzzing for biology now! I'm halfway through my experiments and am hoping to get the rest done before 9. I'm really glad I've worked in biology for the past two years because if I hadn't this revision would be a lot more difficult. :D

Also for those stuck on what to look over, I'd suggest having a look at this list:

I notice it says the experiment to demonstrate osmosis has never been asked before. True, it's never come up in section II but it came up last year in section III, so I wouldn't put my money on it for this year. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lostanddribling

Anybody got any tips for pass Bio? I've looked through a good few threads and made my own but still no luck... Anything would be greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

It's alright to use diagrams to explain things, right? Like if they ask to outline pathway 1 and 2 of photosynthesis I can just draw the diagrams provided they include all the information?

• Advertisement

leaveiton wrote: »
    It's alright to use diagrams to explain things, right? Like if they ask to outline pathway 1 and 2 of photosynthesis I can just draw the diagrams provided they include all the information?

Usually for photosynthesis or respiration you are led through the process with questions so make sure you can explain it in words too. If you made it very clear what exactly the components are doing in the diagram, you should be ok, however I would check the marking scheme for previous years and see if you'd be covered from your diagram.

Photosynthesis was on question 14 in the 2010 paper, marking scheme is here.

leaveiton wrote: »

Yeah definitely, your diagrams would have to be super clear (my teacher can't emphasize this enough but she is a bit anal). Fair play for doing diagrams for things like the pathways in photosynthesis. If I don't jot it down in little sentences I just get horribly confused and my diagrams go all over the place. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I swear, I learn one thing and before I know it I can't remember it.
    It's pissing me off, I've but so much work in and now I'm dreading tomorrow :(
    I dont know wether to put it off until tomorrow or stick with it tonight. Irish tomorrow too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Thanks! :) I'll probably write a few bullet points as well to be on the safe side. Plenty of time in the exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Could someone help me out here ..
    Iv'e looked over genetics, ecology, microbiology, the plant, human reproduction, photosynthesis and respiration lately. (And whatever associated experiments)
    What else should I try and cram in before tomorrow!?
    I cant remember like any of the systems .. failure, I know.
    Which are the most important?

biohaiid wrote: »
    Could someone help me out here ..
    Iv'e looked over genetics, ecology, microbiology, the plant, human reproduction, photosynthesis and respiration lately. (And whatever associated experiments)
    What else should I try and cram in before tomorrow!?
    I cant remember like any of the systems .. failure, I know.
    Which are the most important?

Handy list right here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Do you think that going through/answering every question in the Revision Workbook would be helpful for tomorrow? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

I hope IAA fcuks off and doesn't come up tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

Do you think that going through/answering every question in the Revision Workbook would be helpful for tomorrow? :/

EXAM PAPERS, they are the key to biology success!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Yes, but not as helpful as going through actual papers and correcting using a marking scheme.
    You should be concentrating on papers right now.

Advertisement