Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher level Biology 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

If ecology doesn't come up I'll be horrified. Not surprised to be honest...but horrified none the less!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Oh god, please don't even SUGGEST that ecology won't otherwise. Otherwise I'm well and truly ****ed! :(

Anyway guys quick question - in the food chain that is grass - rabbit - fox, where grass is the producer and the rabbit is the primary consumer, would the fox be the secondary consumer or the top consumer?

Double post, how naughty ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Can it be that they'll leave out all of human biology from unit 3 and just put questions on plants and micro-organisms? :eek:
    I'd be dead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Oh god, please don't even SUGGEST that ecology won't otherwise. Otherwise I'm well and truly ****ed! :(

Anyway guys quick question - in the food chain that is grass - rabbit - fox, where grass is the producer and the rabbit is the primary consumer, would the fox be the secondary consumer or the top consumer?

Double post, how naughty ;)

If fox is the last organism On your food chain then I think it's the secondary and the top consumer both. Top consume is the last one in the food chain afaik.
    My teacher usually tells us to steer away from the grass-rabbit- fox chain, we use a food chain with 4 organisms and the 4th is both the teritiary as well as top consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Theorems

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Can it be that they'll leave out all of human biology from unit 3 and just put questions on plants and micro-organisms? :eek:

Your nightmare, my idea of a perfect paper. I have an unhealthy relationship with the micro-organisms questions. Love them way too much ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 whatsec

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure section 3 is normally always one question from the first section of the book (the ecology one) 2 questions from "the cell" i.e DNA and something else and then 3 questions from human biology

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

Q14 and Q15 are always grand so that leaves you to do two questions from 10 11 12 and 13 (at least two of them are bound to be do-able questions) im feeling fairly optimistic about this exam now even though I have done f**k all! Irish on the other hand :/ anybody suggest a poem or story I should quickly look over before I leave that has a good chance of coming up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Parasitism is most certainly a symbiotic relationship, albeit not as obvious. You'd get full marks for giving that example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Absolutely bombed that. Totally my own fault though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Wow, short questions were different and challenging.
    Experiments were very straightforward, and there was nothing too difficult at all in the Long Questions. Overall that was easy!!!

Confident of the A! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Did it continue the trend of last year by asking "odd" questions or was it similar to 2010 and earlier papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

Very doable paper, nice selection of questions! Fingers crossed for the A :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dympy

What came up on the paper??

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nayrneleh

Pepperr wrote: »
    Very doable paper, nice selection of questions! Fingers crossed for the A :D

"Doable" is definitely the best word to describe the paper. Much better than I expected but still not great, that was just down to my lack of study though - studied certain topics (like blood, disappointingly) too much and others (like fungi) not at all. Despite that, it was a good enough paper and I think I'll do better than in the mocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

How **** I am at biology will be shown in that exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

I thought it was a pretty straightforward and easy exam, suited people that had a good general knowledge of all parts of the course.

The genetics question was a bit awkwardly phrased, i'd say the part c will have caught a few people out who misread what they were asking for.

Lots of random questions from different areas combined into questions, maybe a few people caught out that cut off certain chapters? I'm happy out. Was expecting a low honours/scraping a pass, now I'd say B or thereabouts. I'd say the marking scheme will be ming the merciless due to an easy paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I thought that was a horrible paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Tippgal93

I thought it was horrible paper .. and I thought some of the combinations were weird and unfair :(

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Sorry but what an absolute babe of a paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dympy

what wer the question topics???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Champion Gold

Wow that went pretty well :D

I did the section B straight away and did 7 and 9 in about 3 minutes. Definitely looking at 45+/60 :)
    Section A was okay, I'm hopeful that I got 70 at a minimum.
    Questions 10 and 11 went well.
    Question 12 was quite poor and at that point it was approaching half 3 and the 2 other guys in my exam centre left at the same time #awkward :L
    I did 2 parts of 14 crappily and 2 parts of 15 even worse then left at 4.

I definitely got a C3 at least :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

In fairness, Section A and B were nice enough, but Section C was just horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

What the fúck was that! Im traumatised! I've gotten A's and B's in biology since 5th year, I got a B1 in the mocks and then that paper happened! It was a load of me hole! Be happy with a feckin D1 after that :/

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

that was actually challenging... after getting 98% in the mocks, im sort of shocked... hopefully il still get the a1, but i think that was genuinely the most dificult bio exam to date, looking through the papers, it seemed a fair bit trickier... still wasnt too bad, just a bit dodgy...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

I got caught on the timing. Capable of every question on the paper. Lucky to get a B2 now. FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cosmic.Postman

Was it just me or were the short questions more difficult than the long questions? :p Not too bad of a paper, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Some of the questions in part C were very weird. I think I got full marks or thereabouts in sections A and B, but C could bring me down... still confident enough of an A. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

thought it went well, one question i could not decipher for love nor money was that Q11 a)i) what are the two types of nitrogenous bases? looked it up in the book there the answer is purines and pyramidines. can safely say i have never heard of that before :L section B was sweet, and i loved the long question on the nervous system, got an a1 in the mock so hopefully ill get it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

i screwed up and said 2 types of mutation are acquired and inhereted... ****ing raging abou that.. complete brain vurp... aside from that i think il get full marks in sect b and c, but a was wa bit tricky... i think i might lose some marks on the moncot/dicot q too on short q's.

but overall i think theres no way il lose over 40 marks........ come on a1.... *gulp... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I forgot my nitrogenous bases like a pro because I had no time to revise. Paper was absolutely fine. Short questions definitely tricky.

Advertisement