Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Ordinary Level Maths Paper 2...Before/After**

• 09-06-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

So..are you ready?
    I know I'm not...I actually hate paper 2..at least the knew one
    Revising probability and statistics now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Does anyone one have any idea where i could find the marking scheme for 2012 sample paper :/ could really do with it especially for trigonometry and geometry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

If the Paper 2 is something like what we got in the mocks then I think it's alright. But speaking from experience it will probably be a completely different paper altogether with stuff we havent seen before :P

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

1 word... Screwed:(

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

subz3r0 wrote: »
    If the Paper 2 is something like what we got in the mocks then I think it's alright. But speaking from experience it will probably be a completely different paper altogether with stuff we havent seen before :P

This. If it's like the one in the mocks, which was essentially half a Foundation Level Geography exam, then I'll cry with happiness.

If not, I'll screwed! Failing Maths here I come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Ahhh the pre paper was actually beautiful. I'm afraid they're going to make it really abstract and non-mathsy though...
    Is it true you only need to learn of theorems 11, 12 and 13 or is that HL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I'm pretty sure for OL you don't need to know any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

What's everyone doing for the constructions? I'm terrible at them and considering just learning the Circumcircle and Centroid of a Triangle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I did well yesterday, but I'm worried about project maths, what a waste of time it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

What's everyone doing for the constructions? I'm terrible at them and considering just learning the Circumcircle and Centroid of a Triangle?

I actually dont know what construction you have to know for pass cause I just came down few weeks ago and forgot to ask the teacher...can someone tell me?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I did well yesterday, but I'm worried about project maths, what a waste of time it is.

Agreed

Yeah...they are apparently trying to make it harder...I mean really? Why do they think we are in pass maths, right?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

HowAreWe wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure for OL you don't need to know any.

Oh, so is it just the axiom and corollary stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I need to get at least 80% right . I did awful yesterday I'll be spending my day on maths paper 2 .

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

does anyone know what constructions would be the best to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

What theorems do we have to know? or will Q.6 be a construction or a theorem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ThatGuy93

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    What theorems do we have to know? or will Q.6 be a construction or a theorem?

+1

Does anybody know what theorems we have to know? And is there a website we can look them up on?

You know Sample D paper on question one about the two study's.
    Is it talking about field and desk research or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Anybody have any solutions on how to do standard deviation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Anybody have any solutions on how to do standard deviation?

You don't need to work it out, just use your calculator.

Edit: You also don't need to know any theroms, just be aware of them incase ya decide to answer Q6 part B. More than likely this will be hard, as the SEC are trying to make part a easier since its the new project maths.

Princessxx wrote: »
    does anyone know what constructions would be the best to know?

So, my Project Maths textbook says we need to know the following:

1. Constructing an angle of 60 degrees.
    2. How to construct a tangent to a circle at a given point on it.
    3. How to construct a parallelogram, given the legths of the sides and the measures of the angles.
    4. How to construct the circumcircle of a given triangle.
    5. How to construct the incircle of a given triangle.
    6. How to construct the centroid of a triangle.

I highlighted the ones that I personally think they might ask us.
    Raeone wrote: »
    You don't need to work it out, just use your calculator.

By the way, I need to learn how to do that :/ Sharp calculator..

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Just say I didnt look at any theorems but knew how to do the constructions, would I be safe for Q.6?

• Advertisement

Just say I didnt look at any theorems but knew how to do the constructions, would I be safe for Q.6?

What if there are no constructions but they ask you stuff about theorems and the converse of theorems instead? Learn what a theorem is, an example of one and learn the converse of that theorem and the definition of what a converse is.

So, my Project Maths textbook says we need to know the following:

1. Constructing an angle of 60 degrees.
    2. How to construct a tangent to a circle at a given point on it.
    3. How to construct a parallelogram, given the legths of the sides and the measures of the angles.
    4. How to construct the circumcircle of a given triangle.
    5. How to construct the incircle of a given triangle.
    6. How to construct the centroid of a triangle.

I highlighted the ones that I personally think they might ask us.

By the way, I need to learn how to do that :/ Sharp calculator..

They can ask all the other constructions too but they are the points I predict they will ask. Sharp EL-W531?

You have a choice of A or B. A is constructions, enlargements and deffinitions and B is when you have to prove something.

They can ask all the other constructions too but they are the points I predict they will ask. Sharp EL-W531?

Yes, Sharp EL-W531.

Yes, Sharp EL-W531.

I'll try the best I can over here but best to get someone to run it over with ya before the exam....

E.G your asked to get standard deviation of 2, 3, 6, 9 and 8

Press Mode, then press 1:STAT, then O:SD,

Press 2, then change (just above the bracket),
    3, the change,
    6, then change etc.

when thats all in press ALPHA and then 6 then press = and you should get 2.7

I'll try the best I can over here but best to get someone to run it over with ya before the exam....

E.G your asked to get standard deviation of 2, 3, 6, 9 and 8

Press Mode, then press 1:STAT, then O:SD,

Press 2, then change (just above the bracket),
    3, the change,
    6, then change etc.

when thats all in press ALPHA and then 6 then press = and you should get 2.7

Wow that's a lot of steps. Thanks so much! I'll defo practice that so I remember it :)

Wow that's a lot of steps. Thanks so much! I'll defo practice that so I remember it :)

No bother, I'm not sure if its easy to understand as its hard to explain without being face to face. Also remember to reset your calculator at the back every time you move onto a new question after standerd devation and change the mode back when you need to go back to normal questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Laurasteel

Can anybody help me with study for this paper? I have no idea what to do? What is definitely coming up?? And how do I study?!? Thankssss

Laurasteel wrote: »
    Can anybody help me with study for this paper? I have no idea what to do? What is definitely coming up?? And how do I study?!? Thankssss

Do all the Project Maths Paper 2s in your exam papers and make sure you know how to do everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Laurasteel

Ok thank u!! There is so much different stuff !!! I hope the paper is a nice one

• Advertisement

Do we need to know the empirical rule?

Advertisement