Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Ordinary Level Maths Paper 2...Before/After**

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Oh 'cause I just realised I used simpsons rule for that question I didn't really read the question I just saw the diagram and assumed it was the simpsons rule formula.

So did I :P
    And I used squares as units, not millimetres to make thing worse :pac:
    Be grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

subz3r0 wrote: »
    So did I :P
    And I used squares as units, not millimetres to make thing worse :pac:
    Be grand :)

Haha . I hadn't even heard or learnt the rule either lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

yeh i got 47.33cm which is 4733mm.. think we are right;)

I think I got that but I only did Simpsons rule for the top half of the thing and not the bottom half. Wonder how much I would loose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

padocon wrote: »
    I think I got that but I only did Simpsons rule for the top half of the thing and not the bottom half. Wonder how much I would loose?

Very little, you would use very little for that.

Raeone wrote: »
    Very little, you would use very little for that.

Thanks for the reply, TG its not much. It's one of the main areas I messed up in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭celtic10000

Do we lose marks if we did both the incircle AND the circumcircle? for some reason i thought the circumcentre was the incircle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Karlnando wrote: »
    The answer was C for Q6 C(ii). It can't be A because the cars haven't suddenly become very popular over the last 2 years. There's only an increase of around 3,000 diesel cars sold in 2010 compared to the amount sold in 2009. Not exactly a huge jump :s
    Yeah. That's the one I picked. And it's not a huge jump, but the diesel cars outsold petrol cars.

Diesel cars have become very popular since car sales started to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

Do we lose marks if we did both the incircle AND the circumcircle? for some reason i thought the circumcentre was the incircle

Maybe a blunder?
    I'm not sure what it's like for maths if you did 2 answers.

If it's the same as every other subject; 1 right answer + 1 wrong answer = 0.
    But since it's maths, you'll get construction marks and maybe attempt marks? Plus any other marks the examiners can manage since they want to bring up the standard of maths in the country xD

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kilfeather94

help, for the area and volume section in the "trapezoidal rule" question, I used the simpsons rule by accident. Is that question worth much marks or will I get any marks at all for that question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 OutsideLane

I know that post-mortems aren't really that useful, but after reviewing the OL paper 2 with a some of my students (one of whom seems to have posted here.....), I thought I'd better clear up a few points.

Part A was straightforward and as expected, but really didn't expect 2 Q's on Probability. Q 3 (line) & Q 4 (circle) both very quick and simple.

Q 5 was where the difficulty started, 5A not too bad; you should get full marks if you did incircle as well as circumcircle, but that was under old MS.... ;) I haven't seen a reliable MS for any PM paper yet. At least it will make the marking conference at the end of the month somewhat interesting (if not downright intriguing....).
    5B was very simple (about 4 lines) if you got it....; not many of mine did. Triangle CDP is isoscles.

Q. 6 and 7 were both difficult (& v. long) and had leading (or even misleading sub-questions). I would consider both as definitely of Higher Level standard, and quite a bit more tricky than the honours sample papers we had been given.

Q.6: a) i) simple bar-chart, II) mean is also a standard calculation, iii) also v. easy. iv) is a question that is almost impossible to answer well without an in-depth knowledge of how to use (& mis-use) stats. The wording alone and the misuse of the word 'average' should make the marking-scheme meeting, or maybe they wanted a treatise on misuse of stats. I'd wager that someone (a student who understands the potential misuse of such statements...) will print " average is a word that should not be used to muddy the waters; mean (over a period), median or even mode would have been better". I would add to it that maybe one should not use a measure of central tendency when commenting on or even guessing a trend. There are measures of trending that could have been used (by the examiner) more intelligently here. Maybe the person setting this hasn't used statistics that much. For a v), b i) & ii) this has more to do with changes in taxation than most else; will full marks be given to students who mention changes to Road Tax (based on emissions instead of engine size); If not I'd like to know why not (again this is good business knowledge, little to do with maths/stats). c ii) has to be read carefully - D should get full marks, some credit for B, rest nada.
    d i) straightforward and predicted; ii) mean or median would do it. d iii) again tricky. How many calculated StdDev for both to show both better knowledge of spread measurement and it's use? Range isn't the biz here, but should get a partial credit.

Q. 7 - again not easy. The word scalene doesn't appear in most LC PM books and updates (it is taught at primary level and is on the 1st year commom course). b) GF can be found iteratively with 3 runnings of the ratio equation (it's 12.5). c) BD is a simple use of the Cosine rule, but why not have a simpler result? d) is definately HL standard - you need to calculate angle ACD, then CDB (or vice-versa...), the use the Sine rule to calculate OD. That is long, tedious and difficult; I got a fairly accurate measure by extending A & B to O and doing a scale calculation (I used 0.5cm = 1m).

Q.8 was lovely and it was a nice comfort blanket to see Simpson's Rule (last time ever?). You are aware it was used extensively in C18 Ireland when it was being mapped by the British military (Simpson used to work for 'em); see Maths isn't all useless. http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hope it went well for you, and that partial credits are easy to come by (used to be attempts...)

• Advertisement

An0n wrote: »
    Maybe a blunder?
    I'm not sure what it's like for maths if you did 2 answers.

If it's the same as every other subject; 1 right answer + 1 wrong answer = 0 - not under the old marking schemes.
    But since it's maths, you'll get construction marks and maybe attempt marks? Plus any other marks the examiners can manage since they want to bring up the standard ??? - you mean the perceived standard of maths in the country xD

The marking scheme won't be agreed until the marking conference at the end of the month. Under the old regime, once you got it right somewhere you get full marks; unsuccessful attempts are discarded when totting up the marks provided a correct answer is found somewhere. All attempts are marked.

But who knows what will change with the new regime.

BTW, from what we have seen so far, this will push the overall standard of mathematical ability and usefulness way down the the scale as the effects of PM kicks in.

help, for the area and volume section in the "trapezoidal rule" question, I used the simpsons rule by accident. Is that question worth much marks or will I get any marks at all for that question?

You must be in a Project Maths Pilot School doing more than strands one or two because no Trapezoidal rule came up on our paper, it's not on our course.

I know that post-mortems aren't really that useful, but after reviewing the OL paper 2 with a some of my students (one of whom seems to have posted here.....), I thought I'd better clear up a few points.

Part A was straightforward and as expected, but really didn't expect 2 Q's on Probability. Q 3 (line) & Q 4 (circle) both very quick and simple.

Q 5 was where the difficulty started, 5A not too bad; you should get full marks if you did incircle as well as circumcircle, but that was under old MS.... ;) I haven't seen a reliable MS for any PM paper yet. At least it will make the marking conference at the end of the month somewhat interesting (if not downright intriguing....).
    5B was very simple (about 4 lines) if you got it....; not many of mine did. Triangle CDP is isoscles.

Q. 6 and 7 were both difficult (& v. long) and had leading (or even misleading sub-questions). I would consider both as definitely of Higher Level standard, and quite a bit more tricky than the honours sample papers we had been given.

Q.6: a) i) simple bar-chart, II) mean is also a standard calculation, iii) also v. easy. iv) is a question that is almost impossible to answer well without an in-depth knowledge of how to use (& mis-use) stats. The wording alone and the misuse of the word 'average' should make the marking-scheme meeting, or maybe they wanted a treatise on misuse of stats. I'd wager that someone (a student who understands the potential misuse of such statements...) will print " average is a word that should not be used to muddy the waters; mean (over a period), median or even mode would have been better". I would add to it that maybe one should not use a measure of central tendency when commenting on or even guessing a trend. There are measures of trending that could have been used (by the examiner) more intelligently here. Maybe the person setting this hasn't used statistics that much. For a v), b i) & ii) this has more to do with changes in taxation than most else; will full marks be given to students who mention changes to Road Tax (based on emissions instead of engine size); If not I'd like to know why not (again this is good business knowledge, little to do with maths/stats). c ii) has to be read carefully - D should get full marks, some credit for B, rest nada.
    d i) straightforward and predicted; ii) mean or median would do it. d iii) again tricky. How many calculated StdDev for both to show both better knowledge of spread measurement and it's use? Range isn't the biz here, but should get a partial credit.

Q. 7 - again not easy. The word scalene doesn't appear in most LC PM books and updates (it is taught at primary level and is on the 1st year commom course). b) GF can be found iteratively with 3 runnings of the ratio equation (it's 12.5). c) BD is a simple use of the Cosine rule, but why not have a simpler result? d) is definately HL standard - you need to calculate angle ACD, then CDB (or vice-versa...), the use the Sine rule to calculate OD. That is long, tedious and difficult; I got a fairly accurate measure by extending A & B to O and doing a scale calculation (I used 0.5cm = 1m).

Q.8 was lovely and it was a nice comfort blanket to see Simpson's Rule (last time ever?). You are aware it was used extensively in C18 Ireland when it was being mapped by the British military (Simpson used to work for 'em); see Maths isn't all useless. http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hope it went well for you, and that partial credits are easy to come by (used to be attempts...)

Cheers this was really helpful :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

It's all behind us now but I'm curious if someone could tell me (can't remember the question number) but It was the one where the scale changed by 1.2 if I can remember correctly (or got it correct :o)

Does anyone know where the point O was ?

On the diagram is was like find the distance from O to B but I couldn't see any O :P

Willbbz wrote: »
    It's all behind us now but I'm curious if someone could tell me (can't remember the question number) but It was the one where the scale changed by 1.2 if I can remember correctly (or got it correct :o)

On the diagram is was like find the distance from O to B but I couldn't see any O :P

it was off the page but you had to use the other measurements and scale to get it

Willbbz wrote: »
    It's all behind us now but I'm curious if someone could tell me (can't remember the question number) but It was the one where the scale changed by 1.2 if I can remember correctly (or got it correct )

On the diagram is was like find the distance from O to B but I couldn't see any O
    it was off the page but you had to use the other measurements and scale to get it

The scale was 1.25.

To get |OB| you divide the length |BD| by 0.25. Since |OB| x 1.25 = |OD|

|BD| was 8.544m

|OB| was 34.176m

|OB| was 34.176m

I did it a very complicated and unorthodox way (divided the length of the base of the scalene triangle by 1.25 repeatedly until I got a very small number and then I added everything together) and I left my answer as 34m. Would you say they'll accept that as a method and accept my answer?

I did it a very complicated and unorthodox way (divided the length of the base of the scalene triangle by 1.25 repeatedly until I got a very small number and then I added everything together) and I left my answer as 34m. Would you say they'll accept that as a method and accept my answer?

Yes. I was the only person in my year to do it the method I did.

There was a few who did it your method and my Maths teacher was sortof confused by it. She told me I was wrong when I came out of the exam and that adding all the triangles together would be the appropriate method.

:3 I may be wrong though. I just assumed a sort of continuous exponential growth of the full scale. Which was the k constant; and used that.

I have yet to be shown another method though.

No, same exam papers as everyone else. I don't go to a pilot school. I don't remember learning the Trapezoidal rule, only did simpsons rule :L

Yes. I was the only person in my year to do it the method I did.

There was a few who did it your method and my Maths teacher was sortof confused by it. She told me I was wrong when I came out of the exam and that adding all the triangles together would be the appropriate method.

:3 I may be wrong though. I just assumed a sort of continuous exponential growth of the full scale. Which was the k constant; and used that.

I have yet to be shown another method though.

Ahh found a method to do it now. Work out all the angles of the triangle |AOB| and then use the Sine Rule. Twas easier than I thought :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

No, same exam papers as everyone else. I don't go to a pilot school. I don't remember learning the Trapezoidal rule, only did simpsons rule :L

There are two versions of paper 2 which are VERY similar. If you are not from a pilot school then you should be looking at the paper that says "Simpsons" rather than "Trapezoidal". Check the front cover of the exam paper. Yours should say Project Maths Phase 1, the pilot schools would say Phase 3.

yup, my bad, haha, I was looking at a similar maths paper on the examinations website. Phew, that's a relief :)

just a little off topic but for Maths paper 2, I can't remember If I wrote my exam number on the paper or not. I might be just overreacting but If I did forget, what would happen? I remember that the examiner had to stamp my paper before putting it in the envelope so would he have noticed before putting it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

just a little off topic but for Maths paper 2, I can't remember If I wrote my exam number on the paper or not. I might be just overreacting but If I did forget, what would happen? I remember that the examiner had to stamp my paper before putting it in the envelope so would he have noticed before putting it in?

The supervisor is supposed to put the papers into the envelope in numerical order so should have spotted it. There is a small chance he didn't sort them though. Not a problem. There will be a list of exam numbers that should match exactly with the papers in the envelope. That envelope isn't opened until the examiner takes it home to correct. They then have to open the envelope and put them all in number order. If you did forget your number it might not be spotted until then. It is very unlikely that someone else in the same envelope forgot their number too so yours will be easy to spot and correct. So, really don't worry about it.

Ahh found a method to do it now. Work out all the angles of the triangle |AOB| and then use the Sine Rule. Twas easier than I thought :rolleyes:

:D What answer did you get?

phew, thanks, I've been worrying about this all week! That's a load off my mind :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭justBlake

does anyone happe to have the paper handy? id like to see how difficult it was:) ( i was;) an honours maths student )

Sine rule is the appropriate way to compute the distance to O, but it's not immediately obvious. And there is a lot of calculation involved to get the angles.

You could also have extended the lines (tacking on a piece of paper....) and extend to form a triangle meeting at O. Took me about 20 secs to do that and I got an approximation between 34.something and 35m. That was the method advocated for such a situation (but not off-sheet....) in a PM workshop for teachers. So it remains to be seen what the MS will award for either of these 2 methods.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

The paper should be on the state examinations commission now ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement