Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Ordinary Level Maths Paper 2...Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Do we need to know the empirical rule?
    Yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Raeone wrote: »
    Yes!

Ah my teacher told us we didn't need to know it omg my teachers useless :eek:. She skipped that question.
    Can anyone explain to me what the empirical rule is?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

Do we need to know the empirical rule?

Is that the same as calculating Z scores? Cos It's basically calculating the probability that something will lie in 3 (i think) standard deviations of a graph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Thats all you need to know tbh

Empirical_Rule.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I'm really freaking out about this, I didn't do well in Paper 1 so I need at least 70% in this paper and I'm not confident that I'll get that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I'm really freaking out about this, I didn't do well in Paper 1 so I need at least 70% in this paper and I'm not confident that I'll get that.

Im the same. Just really want to pass maths at this stage :(

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Im the same. Just really want to pass maths at this stage :(

Me 3 this maths thing is annoying me and I know I only got like maybe 2/3 questions right but not even the full question so I've failed paper 1. I need paper 2 to go well or I repeat again :(.

Themathstutor.ie is a great website it really helps I've learnt so much in a day.
    You just sign up it's free and he goes through the sec sample.

They have a twitter and facebook account so you can ask questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Themathstutor.ie is a great website it really helps I've learnt so much in a day.
    You just sign up it's free and he goes through the sec sample.

They have a twitter and facebook account so you can ask questions.

checking it out now :) seems very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ashalingable

What's everyone doing for the constructions? I'm terrible at them and considering just learning the Circumcircle and Centroid of a Triangle?

What's the centroid of a triangle??? :O :/

• Advertisement

What's the centroid of a triangle??? :O :/

centroid.jpg

To draw the centroid do you like just have the compass from one of the points. Then from that point stretch your compass to one of the sides then do the same to another side ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Does everyone not find Paper 2 to be easy? Well compared to paper 1?

To draw the centroid do you like just have the compass from one of the points. Then from that point stretch your compass to one of the sides then do the same to another side ?

Just use your rular to measure half way across the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lisa94

hey does any one know where i can find the sample paper answers for paper 2? ive tried axaminations.ie but i cant find them anywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lisa94

i have the exact problem cannot find them anywhere :(

To draw the centroid the graphical way you:
    1. bisect each line to get a midpoint of each line. Hope you know how to do that.
    2. You join the every midpoint to the opposite angle of that midpoint.
    3. Where they intersect is the midpoint.

This has some of the samples but not all of them just the 2011 and 2012.
    http://www.studentxpress.ie/projectmathspapers.html

You could always tweet or facebook the maths tutor they reply and help you out :).

subz3r0 wrote: »
    1. bisect each line to get a midpoint of each line. Hope you know how to do that.

Yes, but for that construction, you can also just use the rular to measure it rather than bisecting it.
    E.G 1. meausre half way across AB, BC and AC.
    2. connect each point to the opposite angle
    2. their intersection is the midpoint.

i do! :P and thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 motorola1337

Great thing i read this....almost forgot i needed a compass and so on for paper 2....thank you boards.ie

Can anyone tell me "what's the fundamental principle of counting" ???

Can anyone tell me "what's the fundamental principle of counting" ???

If one task can be done m ways, and the following task can be done n ways, then the first task, followed by the second task can de done m(n) ways.

and could someone help me with question 2 on 2011 sample paper..... I really don't get how to do probability....:(

we were told by our teacher that the "Trapezoidal Rule" wasn't on our course....please tell me this is true.....because its came up on the sample papers....

we were told by our teacher that the "Trapezoidal Rule" wasn't on our course....please tell me this is true.....because its came up on the sample papers....

It's not. If you look at the top of that page it says its Strand 3 material NOT for examination in 2012

It's not. If you look at the top of that page it says its Strand 3 material NOT for examination in 2012

it doesn't confirm that on my papers but thank you :)

Is it true the maths paper 2 is supposed to be like the Sample sec 2012 paper?

All the sample papers are quite different or in different orders I can't tell what kind of stuff will come up or what questions to focus on the most.

Is it true the maths paper 2 is supposed to be like the Sample sec 2012 paper?

All the sample papers are quite different or in different orders I can't tell what kind of stuff will come up or what questions to focus on the most.

SEC Sample 2012 is the only official Sample paper for us which means we should be working off that. But getting practice from the rest of them is good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

I was going for an A1 and I feel I probably got 90%+ in paper 1.

But I'm nervous about paper 2.

-The written questions on statistics never appealed to me. The answers are too vague and lack definite structure.

-No marking scheme for the 2012 sample? We have no idea how the questions will be marked so we don't know how to go about answering.

-Theorem/Construction/Enlargement/*Weird geometry thing* : I'm kindof confused about the question 5 on the paper. It's a stupid system to go by and the geometry/theorem question 5b in the sample paper wasn't even on our course. No doubt something like that would confuse people if they didn't know the higher level junior cert theorems.

I've heard they're going to be asking really abstract questions that we won't be prepared for. I guess it's good for people who want the LC to be about thinking and not preparing but it's unfair to the first year who didn't even get a sample marking scheme. -.-

Advertisement