Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Ordinary Level Maths Paper 2...Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

"perform a ""Tukey Quick Test"" on the data".....what? :S

It's not on the syllabus anymore, don't worry! :)

Guys, i'm ok at Maths and am looking forward to tomorrow more than anything. It's not going to be a very hard paper. In fairness, Paper I was grand (definitely some bits were tricky to the weaker student) but it was the last time 'old style' Paper I was going to be examined, of course they were going to make it hard!

MARK MY WORDS, if you have NO idea how to do something tomorrow, make it up. Use common sense, read the question. The Government has pumped MILLIONS upon millions of euro/taxpayers money into this 'Project Maths'. Do you actually think they're going to let loads of people do terrible by giving a hard paper? No, they won't. It'll be a simple enough paper with more than likely an extremely generous marking scheme!

Don't stress, you'll be fine!

Take it from PF, PF can help solve all your problems! :pac: Just take a deep breath when you get the paper and start on the most 'attractive' looking section (if that's possible :P) just think, by 12.00 pm tomorrow afternoon,

NO MORE PROJECT MATHS!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

This is the gospel according to PictureFrame.

Amen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Don't really know what to expect tomorrow, we only got one proper sample paper with no answers!

Not good enough SEC.....Not good enough.

The answers are on this site! also shows you how to do them it only has the 2012 sec sample.
    http://www.studentxpress.ie/projectmathspapers.html

I'm the same and the the sample papers are all completely different .

Fergus_ wrote: »
    This is the gospel according to PictureFrame.

Amen.
    I have spoken, young Fergus.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

I hope your right PF

• Advertisement

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    I hope your right PF

The probability of me being right is 100%

There's all these questions involving drawing triangles my teacher didn't even teach us that .. I do think it'll go better than paper 1. I just don't know what to expect.

You know the questions that are like "Firstly they worked out their individual ratios of height to arm span. What did it mean in each case , when the ratio was less than 1 or greater than 1 or equal to 1" this is from sample C pg 245

Does it mean that if the ratio were less they were less than the proportional body if it were equal they had a perfectly proportioned body and if it were greater it were more than the perfectly proportional body :S ?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

What are all the definitions we need to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Going through sample papers is wrecking my head, like would it have killed them to do some research on what's actually on the syllabus? And the basic structure is wrong for some of them because they don't include a choice for question 6, gaaah

How do I work this out?

"A cone has radius r cm and vertical height K over pie cm (fraction).
    If the volume of this cone is r^2 cm^3, find K. "

Forgive me for being stupid

• Advertisement

Namlub wrote: »
    Going through sample papers is wrecking my head, like would it have killed them to do some research on what's actually on the syllabus? And the basic structure is wrong for some of them because they don't include a choice for question 6, gaaah

There's a option for Q6, you mean Q5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

How do I work this out?

"A cone has radius r cm and vertical height K over pie cm (fraction).
    If the volume of this cone is r^2 cm^3, find K. "

Forgive me for being stupid

2 Unknowns? Where did u get that all? Sounds nothing like pass maths

There's a option for Q6, you mean Q5?

No I mean the sample papers don't include the option for q6

subz3r0 wrote: »

It's from the 2010 NCCA ordinary level project maths paper, Q.1 (c) (i)

You will not be asked to PROVE any theorems in OL Maths as far as I know. You just need to be aware of them and be able to use them

No I mean the sample papers don't include the option for q6

So there's an option for Q5 and Q6?

For Folens sample papers and SEC sample papers, for Section A they have questions 1-5 with 25 marks each with Q5 having an option between 5A or 5B.

For Section B, they have Q6 for 75 marks and Q7 for 50 marks

And Q8 is old syllabus with 50 marks.

I probably read your post wrong, my head is in so many places right now :pac:

I thought it was just question 6 that had an option? Lawds, now I'm confused :p This papers is going to be like a whole new world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

can someone explain me the trig circle thing? 1st quarter 2nd quarter and all that ****... what is that about like.....

HowAreWe wrote: »
    can someone explain me the trig circle thing? 1st quarter 2nd quarter and all that ****... what is that about like.....

I looked at that and was like "ah sure, probably won't even come up"

:pac:

I thought it was just question 6 that had an option? Lawds, now I'm confused :p This papers is going to be like a whole new world...

I'm extremely confused as well :o

• Advertisement

subz3r0 wrote: »

It's from the 2010 NCCA ordinary level project maths paper, Q.1 (c) (i)

Use the volume of cone formula, substitute K/pie for h, and let the whole thing equal to r^2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I looked at that and was like "ah sure, probably won't even come up"

:pac:

my ****ing book doesnt explain it all its just like HERE DO THAT THERE.

Does project maths change from this years course next year?

I know you're supposed to label it as SATC (Sex And The City, if you will) and in S, Sin is positive, in A they're all positive, in T Tan is positive and in C Cos is positive. No idea how to actually apply it to a question though

my ****ing book doesnt explain it all its just like HERE DO THAT THERE.

It's the same with my book, I'm not even bothered trying to figure it out, it's pretty specific so I doubt it would come up.

Don't take my word for it though.

It's the same with my book, I'm not even bothered trying to figure it out, it's pretty specific so I doubt it would come up.

Don't take my word for it though.

The unit circle has been such a mind**** for me in Honours Maths, it's really awkward to use and tbh I doubt it will come up in Pass Maths, especially this year.

For someone who was doing the 2010 NCCA Mock question heres the solution:

208434.jpg

I don't get that either. There's a video on how to do it on that mathstutor.ie site and he goes through it.

I still don't understand he does make it sound easy not sure I'll remember it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GrahamH220

I'm well and truly fecked for tomorrow. Having such a hard time studying here. Does any one have access to a list of those theorems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

hiya everyone , can anyone answer this question please, it was on my mock , there was a pie chart used and it misrepresented data then the next question asked give one other example of how a graph can be used to misrepresent statistics? any suggestion would be helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

If the mocks were anything to go by, this is going to be piss

Advertisement