Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths P2 Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

that paper wasn't what i was expecting :/ where were all the sin/cos/tan questions :L i got 100 for beta and 44 for alpha too! but didn't even attempt to do the rest of 8, why did they put that as a 75 marker :/

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

The value for alpha and beta can change you guys, therefore as long as the distance between p and r is 25 any values for alpha and beta are correct. As long as their correct abviously.
    No I'm pretty sure you were supposed to find the value for alpha and beta in that position at the beginning, the question 7 and 8 lacked maths

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭acorn1702

I wasn't that happy with question 7 and 8, but then again we do get 25 extra points. So really we can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Anyone listening RTE radio? Said the 24 pilot school Maths Paper 2 was 'the worst exam in state exam history' and the normal paper 2 was ridiculous aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Niamh94

I was delighted coming out of that exam an up until I started reading all this :L

my k=8, centre was 4,4 and I think I did point of intersection (I.e. equated circle and line formulae) of circle and x+y=2k and ended up with k being 8 and 0? That was in the last few seconds though so it coulda been wrong!

My alpha was 45 and beta was 100, alpha was 38 from the cosine rule then added on the bit outside from a right angle triangle!

What else.....oh what did people do for the probability of people in arrears being in negative equity? I just multiplied the previous 2 probabilities together? :/

• Advertisement

Hayezer wrote: »
    Anyone listening RTE radio? Said the 24 pilot school Maths Paper 2 was 'the worst exam in state exam history' and the normal paper 2 was ridiculous aswell
    Did they have a different paper to the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

Niamh94 wrote: »
    I was delighted coming out of that exam an up until I started reading all this :L

my k=8, centre was 4,4 and I think I did point of intersection (I.e. equated circle and line formulae) of circle and x+y=2k and ended up with k being 8 and 0? That was in the last few seconds though so it coulda been wrong!

My alpha was 45 and beta was 100, alpha was 38 from the cosine rule then added on the bit outside from a right angle triangle!

What else.....oh what did people do for the probability of people in arrears being in negative equity? I just multiplied the previous 2 probabilities together? :/

Haha! Pretty much did everything the same, either we are geniuses or ****ed :P I multiplied the probabilities and got like 0.024. Fingers crossed for us :D

I think so cus they talked about the pilot schools first and it was meant to be an absolute dissasssterrrr. Then they moved onto 'the paper that incorporated bits of project maths and old parts' which I presume was us, and said it wasn't as bad as pilot school but still terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

That dude was well over reacting, but then again cant complain if they make marking the paper easier because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

Just wondering if anybody else got this:
    k = 5.8 or so. Long story short, I used the perp distance formula to each tangent, baring in mind that all the distances are equal to the radius.

Direction of causality = to be concise, which variable caused which. I had never heard of the phrase before but it seemed logical. The internet suggests I was right :D

Alpha equals 45, beta equals 80

Alpha was the more important angle because P was further from R, and since we were approximating the distance as arc length, which is equal to angle x radius, the longer radius the more variance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

I thought it was piss easy compared to P1 to be honest, anyone who can read and absorb information from text easily would think so too I reckon.

P.s. - Thank you HPAT

ImFudged wrote: »
    That dude was well over reacting, but then again cant complain if they make marking the paper easier because of it

Well tbh (not trying to sound bad) I'd say the *smartest* students are the ones on Boards. People on boards may have got most of the answers, but I'd say the 9,900 other honours thought it was deadly. I thought it was pretty terrible, mainly Q8 really

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tanzy

sdiff wrote: »
    k = 5.8 or so. Long story short, I used the perp distance formula to each line, baring in mind that all the distances are equal to the radius.

Direction of causality = to be concise, which variable caused which. I had never heard of the phrase before but it seemed logical. The internet suggests I was right :D

Alpha was the more important angle because P was further from R, and since we were approximating the distance as arc length, which is equal to angle x radius, the longer radius the more variance

I got something really close to that. i had k=3+2root2 which is the same as k= 5.828.
    I waffled the direction of causality. No clue what i wrote.
    Can't remember what i got for alpha but had 100 for beta.
    Same reason for alpha causing a greater error as what i said.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JailB8 xoxo

Pepperr wrote: »
    I guess I should post some of the answers I can remember...

For the circle question I got k = 7 (I got the centre as 4,4 and translated from 1,1 to 4,4 and then to the second tgt which gave me 7,7. sub into the line, 7 + 7 = 2k, k = 7!

My battery question percentage was in around the 90%'s

And..For my alpha and beta angles I got like 26 and 100, but I only did the cosine rule twice, I forgot to add the second half of the Alpha angle >.< RAGING! Forgot about the tails in the illustrate Q too..There goes the A probably.

how did you get the centre as 4,4. i did the exact same as you but couldnt work it out so guessed the centre as 4,4 and worked from there

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Niamh94 wrote: »

i got K=-8... I was rushing so I made a slip.

As for tan.... Well I used cosine rule to find alpha and beta.
    My Beta was 100, My Alpha was 38.

For question on population, for part iii)
    I also multiplied two previous probs together.

For null Hypthoseis i proved it was false.

What a beautful paper!
    I dont get what everyone is giving out about, compared to previous years, this paper was taking the piss!!

I mean the trig question was a bit hard, but the way they will correct it either stance is correct.

I.e - If you said alpha would make the error greater and showed the reasons you thought that and these reasons were legit, they would have to give you the marks.
    Every answer on that is subjective, so you will most likely get full marks.

As for the final question on trig. Well i just didnt ever bother.
    What a friend of mine did was genious though... The question said illustrate, he therefore went away and used a compass and make an arc of the max and min possible values, and then coloured in the area. Technically he is right.

I messed up bad though on the Normal Distribution, the mm caught me out. I misread the question and just messed up the whole values, whatever way i read it i got it wrong, my method was right though. I didnt do the 2nd part.

Question 1 and 2 were easy peasy.
    I just said that two triangles would be equal eachother, i said the perpendiculars of two perpendicular lines would equal eachother and i said that the slope of the line would equal the slope of the other side/line.
    Then just used two traingles, found area and let them equal each other.

Question 2 was soooooo simple... so simple. I wont ever bother.

Question 6 was simple. You didnt even have to have a basic knowledge of geometry to answer Q.6, ii. All you had to say was that parrelel lines had the same distance between them then subsequently derive one side is = other side. Also the triangle on top left was a transversal similar to the other one... therefore that lines side would be equal to one of the sides on the triangle below.
    Also angle would be the same.

SAS congruency.
    The first part, you just had to bisect the angle three times.
    Easy Peasy.
    Question 7 was beautiful.
    Question 4 was very badly phrased hence why i prob only got attempt marks for the damn thing.
    Question 5 was sooooo easy.... bernoulli theorem on part i, ii.
    Then prob of getting 1st score once in first 4 shots + prob of getting second score on 5th try. Use two bernoulli's for this.

Hope this helps make things easier to understand.

I am very happy.... just not happy with question 4, think i might complain to the SEC dues to its phrasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Dazaq

Is the paper up anywhere yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Theorems

Igot screwed in paper 2... I was NOT expecting that paper. I did all the sample papers in Folens exam papers and they were nothing like it.

I calculated my marks.. 160 in paper 1 and 105 in paper 2. That's a pass. Fek it all i want is the extra 25 points!

Same! I was expecting it to be so like the past papers and then I opened it and was like......... What?

Yeah I calculated mine too and it was like 190 in paper1 and 100 or so for paper 2.. Those twenty five points is why I didn't chicken out and do pass

for the part two of the construction i just divided the line that i created when making the 60 degree by 4. when you join the opposite corner to that point it will create a 15 degree angle. would you say id get the marks for that or would you have to have bisected it twice as it did say to use a compass

Well tbh (not trying to sound bad) I'd say the *smartest* students are the ones on Boards. People on boards may have got most of the answers, but I'd say the 9,900 other honours thought it was deadly. I thought it was pretty terrible, mainly Q8 really

I have to agree Q8 was terrible but I just used triangles and got thru it, I never have found k, ever. I think the rest wasnt that bad, it was doable anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Nertballs

question 8 was great!! :P

• Advertisement

I have to agree Q8 was terrible but I just used triangles and got thru it, I never have found k, ever. I think the rest wasnt that bad, it was doable anyway

It was an easy easy paper.... I really dont get what the fuss is about.

The trig question was far easier compared to previous years.
    You just had to have a basic knowledge of ideals behind it. If you didnt know you needed to know that then Im afraid you have a very bad teacher.

Project maths is about testing your knowledge, not your ability.

Dapics wrote: »

You just had to have a basic knowledge of ideals behind it. If you didnt know you needed to know that then Im afraid you have a very bad teacher.

was definitely liking the trig questions. looking at other years ive often been left not knowing even where to begin. thought the question was handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bokkenspiel

question 8 is what separated the men from the boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

1. You can't really say it was an easy paper considering you didn't get everything right 2. It isn't nice to go on about how easy after any exam especially higher maths considering a lot of people find it tough. (not said out of bitterness as I think I did pretty well!)

Yeah it was a easy paper it just took me a bit until things clicked. Id say I did fairly good. And my teacher is the best in the school and the surrounding area

sdiff wrote: »
    k = 5.8 or so. Long story short, I used the perp distance formula to each tangent, baring in mind that all the distances are equal to the radius.

agreed apart from beta, I think you might have done what a lot of people did and had a positive cos which would give that answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

It isn't nice to go on about how easy after any exam especially higher maths considering a lot of people find it tough. (not said out of bitterness as I think I did pretty well!)

Just have a teeny bit of sensitivity when you're talking about the exam, its great that you thought it was a walk in the park, but there'll be more people who aren't happy with it, and that sort of post won't really help at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

how did you get the centre as 4,4. i did the exact same as you but couldnt work it out so guessed the centre as 4,4 and worked from there

I used the distance from a point (the centre, which I called (c,c) since they were the same) So I had |1(c) + 1(c) -2| over (root)2 = (root)c

I got that the radius was (root)c from the radius formula, since g^2 and f^2 were both the same as c, radius was (root)c + c - c which turns out as (root)c

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

RedTexan wrote: »
    agreed apart from beta, I think you might have done what a lot of people did and had a positive cos which would give that answer

Ah makes sense. Hope that'll just be -2 marks or something.

• Advertisement

Just have a teeny bit of sensitivity when you're talking about the exam, its great that you thought it was a walk in the park, but there'll be more people who aren't happy with it, and that sort of post won't really help at the minute!

Yeah, Fair enough. I'm not trying to put people down. Fact is i will prob only get a B3 cause i messed up so bad in paper 1.

I'd say everyone is ok. I think the marking schemes for project maths are very broad so the examiners will take a lot of things into account. All in all, everything will run its course.

Just by curiosity...

For Q4. Did anyone get something like a 300 percent increase in batteries?

Allow me to explain:

If i remember correctly, i think there was a huge twist in that question.
    The twist was that the mm for the difference thingy (cant remember) were an extra decimal place than the mean.

I converted to meter's and got this:

0.020-0.00025.

(0.25 of 0.020 is 0.00025)
    I just subtracted and divided by standard deviation. I got something like 17.5 and then just multiplied it by 10000

Could anyone shed some light on that question?
    I found it very confusing.

Advertisement