Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths P2 Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 SD021

It's utter bull if you ask me. I've almost definitely lost my A1 thanks to that paper. It's a stupid system in which average students are rewarded at the expense of the better ones. It showed after the exam too. Everyone going for a C or low B was thrilled and anyone going for an A was disappointed.

What were they thinking inflicting this on us two years before we had to sit our leaving..

EDIT: Papers are up if people are interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

Pepperr wrote: »
    I used the distance from a point (the centre, which I called (c,c) since they were the same) So I had |1(c) + 1(c) -2| over (root)2 = (root)c

I got that the radius was (root)c from the radius formula, since g^2 and f^2 were both the same as c, radius was (root)c + c - c which turns out as (root)c

But the centre was (r,r) if the radius was r. Think about it, the circle has y and x axes as tangents. The perpendicular distance from the centre to the tangent is always the radius. And both lines perpendicular to the tangent go through the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chatterboxx

I was delighted with this paper, went some much better than Paper 2 normally goes for me! Question: what answer did people get for Q3? Anyone I've asked hasn't gotten an answer or they got k=1 which is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Hey, not doing the LC this year but I was just looking through the paper there. Most of it looks OK from a 5th year perspective but y'know the first question? The one about the parallelogram. What did you all say for that? I mean, I can think of many ways to prove something is a parallelogram but using co-ordinate geometry techniques, all I can think of is using the distance formula to determine opposite sides are equal. My co-ordinate geometry skills are a bit rusty at the moment though so I think I need a refresher. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 patrickkelly

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

SD021 wrote: »
    It's utter bull if you ask me. I've almost definitely lost my A1 thanks to that paper. It's a stupid system in which average students are rewarded at the expense of the better ones. It showed after the exam too. Everyone going for a C or low B was thrilled and anyone going for an A was disappointed.

What were they thinking inflicting this on us two years before we had to sit our leaving..

Thats a very unfair statement.

The fact is that if you feel you wont get your A1 because of that paper then perhaps you dont deserve the A1/ are not a maths genius.
    Its all good being able to recognise twists in questions and then subsequently act on them.

But This years course truly teaches true maths.
    It teaches the logic behind certain parts of maths.
    This is good. I would think any student who wants to do maths in college would greatly appreciate this course.

A grand neighbour of mine, one of the smartest men in the country, an absolute maths genius who programs software for I.T companies said it was a truly good paper in that he would have loved to be doing it.

Just my take on your statement, dont mean to come across two strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 SP534

Noticed today that on the front cover of the exam there was nowhere to put down my calculator model. Thought nothing of it until now, but just realised there scrolling through it on Examinations.ie that there is actually a place to put your calculator model in the inside cover! Now I imagine that it'd be less of a problem for paper 2 than paper 1 (since when it comes to paper 1 there are calculators can integrate and etc), but could that cause any trouble for me by any chance having left that blank?

Slow Show wrote: »
    Hey, not doing the LC this year but I was just looking through the paper there. Most of it looks OK from a 5th year perspective but y'know the first question? The one about the parallelogram. What did you all say for that? I mean, I can think of many ways to prove something is a parallelogram but using co-ordinate geometry techniques, all I can think of is using the distance formula to determine opposite sides are equal. My co-ordinate geometry skills are a bit rusty at the moment though so I think I need a refresher. :p

I proved the slopes of opposite sides with equal.. Slope of AB=Slope of CD, Slope of BC=DA

Slow Show wrote: »

Use distance formula to prove opposite sides are equal in length.
    Use slope formula to prove opposite sides are parallel.
    Use angle between 2 line formula to prove opposite angles are equal.

My answers were a bit longer, but thats the gist of it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

SP534 wrote: »
    Noticed today that on the front cover of the exam there was nowhere to put down my calculator model. Thought nothing of it until now, but just realised there scrolling through it on Examinations.ie that there is actually a place to put your calculator model in the inside cover! Now I imagine that it'd be less of a problem for paper 2 than paper 1 (since when it comes to paper 1 there are calculators can integrate and etc), but could that cause any trouble for me by any chance having left that blank?

It's on the inside of the cover... I hate to alarm you but it is kind of important. I heard of a story(apocryphal perhaps) of a girl having her whole paper voided...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

For question 7 d iii did anyone get 0.8? Or use a Venn diagram?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Ah the internet where everybody lies about how they did :) Defo go an A1++++ (I did the questions out a second time using different methods) :)

Mista wrote: »

Oh Crap...

If you used area methods... do you think they would still correct it ? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 SP534

It's on the inside of the cover... I hate to alarm you but it is kind of important. I heard of a story(apocryphal perhaps) of a girl having her whole paper voided...

Oh joy. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

I was delighted with this paper, went some much better than Paper 2 normally goes for me! Question: what answer did people get for Q3? Anyone I've asked hasn't gotten an answer or they got k=1 which is wrong.
    K=4

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Do u think drawing them out would be accepted? it clearly shows 1 point of intersection, at (4,7)??? hope it will be accepted

I dont think so unfortunately... Going by example papers... But id say youd get more than attempt.. Like if it was 10 marks youd get 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

So lads 7dii 0.08 and 7diii 0.94 what do yis think?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MatthewRud

I'm in one of the 24 pilot schools. Didn't hear that guy on RTE Radio about our paper being the worst paper in history (or something along those lines) and that we were discriminated against. But from what I can gather, I don't entirely agree.

I do agree the exam was crap, but my teacher had taught me to deal with that. We were made do these wordy questions again, again and again. We were forced to deal with them, which made the exam a pretty familiar environment for us. Other teachers (in pilot schools) should have done the same; they were all trained how to teach project maths, and a look over the past two years would clearly indicate the way the exam was going to be. At the end of the day, we aren't here to comment on how good or bad the exam is, instead we just have to learn to negotiate it and get the best grade. That is what we were taught, regardless of our teachers own opinion on the exam (which wasn't always positive).

Found paper two (HL) much, much easier than paper one. Only question I didn't get at all was question 3. After that, had no problems. That said, I hate how the wordy questions can be a bit vague and how answers given can differ completely. Seems more like an English exam at times, which isn't good. Definitely found myself reading some of them a few times to try and make sense of it.

The difference in difficulty between P1 & P2 amazes me. I noticed it when working through the sample papers, and half expected the exam to shaft me. It didn't, and even better it was quite similar to the examples (in my opinion) which was good. Paper 1 was the killer; lack of clear examples in the form of official sample papers (lots of non-official, which are great but lack a sense of trust), and an exam that was very difficult in parts. They hit us with some tough questions first, which really can be hard to recover from mentally (need a cool head).

I guess my main consolation (and a lot of angry pilot school students are forgetting this) is that we are going to be gifted marks. Students came out crying last year who got A's and B's. It should happen again (it better!). And if it doesn't? Hell will break loose. They can't screw us with their experiments. They just can't, and they won't (maybe they did with the exam, but won't with the grades). I see why they are hitting us with hard exams; they need to know what they can get away with. It is their last year of dealing with pilot schools on paper 2 (as far as I am aware). They have limited time. No excuse, but I couldn't care less if handing up an un-touched exam would get me a good grade!

Same in-fact for all non-pilot schools with Paper 2. They are going to gift you too, because otherwise, there would be mayhem. They need to make project maths look good, and some "improved" results will do well to back that up. Probably the only real way they could get the syllabus to keep afloat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Mista wrote: »

Another one is to draw a diagonal, get the area of both halves with (half)(base)(perp. height) and if the areas are equal its a parallelogram.

Thought the paper was grand, disappointed with not theorem, trig proof or graph question and found q3 very hard, couldn't get it (K=1 by 4 methods! :P ) and q8 challenging but got most of it (made a stupid mistake with the graph :( ) Could have been much much worse, any easier and they would have been forced to mark the sh!t out of it. Fair paper all in all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 SD021

Dapics wrote: »
    Thats a very unfair statement.

The fact is that if you feel you wont get your A1 because of that paper then perhaps you dont deserve the A1/ are not a maths genius.
    Its all good being able to recognise twists in questions and then subsequently act on them.

But This years course truly teaches true maths.
    It teaches the logic behind certain parts of maths.
    This is good. I would think any student who wants to do maths in college would greatly appreciate this course.

A grand neighbour of mine, one of the smartest men in the country, an absolute maths genius who programs software for I.T companies said it was a truly good paper in that he would have loved to be doing it.

Just my take on your statement, dont mean to come across two strong

I never claimed to be a genius, far from it actually. But I still strongly disagree with you. Mathematical Sciences in UCC is my first choice and has been all year. I do Applied Maths and Physics and yet I still loath this course. To be honest when I think of "True maths" directions of causality and such don't spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tankosaur

What did people get for their answers for question 3? the one to find k. I got k=2 but I doubt it.

Also what were the answers to q 4 and 5 if people know theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

K=4

This makes me so happy as I put that down as a complete guess :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

SP534 wrote: »

Oh joy. :eek:

I never put it i'n either :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 randomer12

Any idea how many marks you'd lose for forgetting about the right angled triangle in q8 and just using the cosine rule???
    Getting the wrong answer for alpha basically :(

Tankosaur wrote: »
    What did people get for their answers for question 3? the one to find k. I got k=2 but I doubt it.

I got root 2 for this..

K=4

I got root 2, how did you get 4?

Tankosaur wrote: »

Cant really remember, but Q4 i said must be independent events, and then just did bernoulli.. for the last one, get prob. of 1 shot in 4 and multiply by 0.6

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

This makes me so happy as I put that down as a complete guess :D:D
    Well you would've had to do all the workings too. :P

• Advertisement

K=4

My Method

I was rushing so i know my end value is wrong.

I just used x + y =1.
    I brought across x and let it equal to 1-y.
    I also did it out a second time and brought across y and let it equal to x-1

I then subbed x and y into general equation and found centre.

With centre i found radius.

Now we know that both lines are parrelel, therefore it is safe to assume we can use the centre and radius derived from the x + y = 1 equation and use it to find perpendicular distance to line x + 2k

I found perpendicular distance from centre to line and let it equal to radius.
    I got radius 5 and centre (4,4) by the way.
    I squared both sides and solved for k.

I made a mistake in there somewhere but this is the method I used. I think its correct, it certainly makes sense to me.

What a few boyo's did was find where the two lines hit the x-axis.
    Then they found distance between two points and subsequently found k to be 5.
    Now i dont know whether this is a proper way to answer question. Yet i would think it is, due to the fact that it makes some sense to a certain degree but i dont think it's the right method for the given question

Advertisement