Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths P2 Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Emz93 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Geometry can come up as one of the long questions? (7/8) Generally it seems, statistics, trig and bits of probability is what comes up in the long qs but better be safe than sorry! Planning on just learning the theorems off perfectly so 25 marks in the bag for Q6A!

I believe Geometry is only examinable in question 6 but some of the basics might be necessary for the Trig in 7 or 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

I can't do trig AT ALL- those 3D shapes and pyramids- they seem so impossible! I just can't see angles. :/ even in the old course I avoided it as much as I could, loved the probability though but we had choice back then! I wish they'd just put period and range and all that easy trig on q7/8 too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

So are these the only things that we have to be able to prove?
    Theorem 11, 12 and 13.
    Trig formulas 1-7 and 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

So are these the only things that we have to be able to prove?
    Theorem 11, 12 and 13.
    Trig formulas 1-7 and 9.
    Also proof by contradiction! It has been asked as 6A twice I think, although one was just a sample paper.

Are solutions to SEC sample papers available online??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Anyone know if I should bother going over trigonometric equations, things like double angles,compound angles, all that stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

cocopopsxx wrote: »

oppss,

http://www.projectmaths.ie/exam-papers/sample.asp .....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Remember to know how to find the standard deviations using the calculator and etc people!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Hayezer wrote: »
    Anyone know if I should bother going over trigonometric equations, things like double angles,compound angles, all that stuff?

Yes Definitely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddyhes

is there anywhere online where you can find a list of the definitions you need to know?
    like ''random sampling'' ''cluster sampling'' and all that other stuff?

oppss,

http://www.projectmaths.ie/exam-papers/sample.asp .....:)

Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I bought a pocket clinometer.

You jelly?

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Yer man on the radio said Geometry had to be confined to question 6.

The theorems and cuts are, but a knowledge of all the geometry stuff will be required for the long trig question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Could an example of proof by contradiction be from paper 1? To prove a rational function has no turning points: differentiate, let f'(x)=0 and it gives a false statement... Or does it have to be from Paper 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

What are ye using for practice? You can only do the SEC paper so many times and I don't trust the sample papers in the test papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

raindodger wrote: »
    What are ye using for practice? You can only do the SEC paper so many times and I don't trust the sample papers in the test papers.

Old course paper 2's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

raindodger wrote: »

Going back over the revision exercises in the book.

Speaking of the revision exercises, can anyone help with this question?

A bag contains 4 red counters and 6 green counters. Four counters are drawn at random from the bag (and not replaced). Calculate the probability that
    (iv) at least two green counters are drawn, given that at least one of each colour is drawn.

I just can not get the answer in the back of the book (it's 85/97).

edit: never mind, I just got it, was just leaving out the last step :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I was listening to Countdown to 606 a few nights ago and they guy said something about being able to do the line of best fit on your calculator. Anyone know how to do this? I'm terrible at seeing it by eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ehshup

on my calculator, there is an option for a, b and r (the correlation coefficient). For the line of best fit, select a, which gives you the constant, and b, which gives you the x coefficient, i.e. if a = 3 and b = 7, the line of best fit is y = 7x + 3

• Advertisement

Finality how did you get that answer? I still can't get it....

Finality how did you get that answer? I still can't get it....

You get the probability that exactly 2 will be green and the probability that exactly 3 will be green, add them as it's one or the other, then divide by the probability that at least one of each colour is drawn. I can post a solution if that's confusing :P

Yea if it's not too much hassle can you post it please? :o

IMG_20120609_180317-1.jpg

there :) I doubt they'll put something that difficult on the paper... that is, I hope they won't :(

finality wrote: »

there :) I doubt they'll put something that difficult on the paper... that is, I hope they won't :(

thanks for the answer, do you mean probability that one of each colour is drawn, not green?
    Although it's personal preference, I find it much more intuitive for the second part to treat it as 1 - P(all one colour) which can be done by 1 - [P(RRRR)+P(GGGG)]. which gives 97/105

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Hey lads say if your to draw a scatter plot how would you know which would be the x values and which would be the y values

ehshup wrote: »
    thanks for the answer, do you mean probability that one of each colour is drawn, not green?
    Although it's personal preference, I find it much more intuitive for the second part to treat it as 1 - P(all one colour) which can be done by 1 - [P(RRRR)+P(GGGG)]. which gives 97/105

Lol! yes I do, can't believe I wrote "one of each colour is green", hahaha.

My way of doing that seems crazy now, but it was my first instinct on how to do it. Your way is much less complicated :)

By the way, can anyone explain to me the given solution for 9A part (a), I've never had to use the 95% confidence interval in that way.?
    http://www.ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Post-Primary_Education/Project_Maths/Project_Maths_Pre-leaving_Exam_Papers_Feb_2010/P_Maths_LC_HL_Paper_2_with_solutions.pdf

bobjimmy wrote: »
    Hey lads say if your to draw a scatter plot how would you know which would be the x values and which would be the y values

I don't think it matters as you're just showing the correlation? Could be wrong there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

How do we time it? IS there any defined structure?

Advertisement