Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths P2 Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ehshup

finality wrote: »
    Lol! yes I do, can't believe I wrote "one of each colour is green", hahaha.

My way of doing that seems crazy now, but it was my first instinct on how to do it. Your way is much less complicated :)

well fair play for getting that probability right, i can't get my head around getting probabilities when there's a bunch of constraints like that! It took me a long long time to do that question right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Chuchoter wrote: »
    How do we time it? IS there any defined structure?

12.5 minutes each for questions 1 - 6. 37.5 minutes each for 7 and 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

ehshup wrote: »
    well fair play for getting that probability right, i can't get my head around getting probabilities when there's a bunch of constraints like that! It took me a long long time to do that question right

I struggle with them myself. Took me ages to work that question out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

finality wrote: »
    I don't think it matters as you're just showing the correlation? Could be wrong there though.

I dunno, my notes say "If there is no obvious cause and effect between the two variables, then it does not matter which we call X and which we call Y. On the other hand if either i) we have control over one variable and just want to observe the other e.g the amount of fertiliser applied to plants and their heights ii) one variable is suspected to cause a change in the other iii)we want to use one variable to estimate the value of the other variable then we should let X(the independent or explanatory variable) be the first variable, and Y(the dependent or response variable) be the second variable"

So basically it means that cause= X axis effect=Y axis

If anyone has their mock papers could you post a scan of it up?

• Advertisement

If anyone has their mock papers could you post a scan of it up?

Yeah I'd love if anyone had the one that isn't DEB.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

12.5 minutes each for questions 1 - 6. 37.5 minutes each for 7 and 8.

12.5 minutes...thats a bitch :/

in reality though, 8 and 9 definitely do not take that long

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I have a feeling I'll be pushed for time "/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I wont be able to make a dent in Q8 so yeah, thatll get me some time... :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Epsi

Chuchoter wrote: »
    12.5 minutes...thats a bitch :/

The first five questions are relatively quick to do in my opinion. The only questions that take a considerable length of time are 7 and 8.

Yeah I'd love if anyone had the one that isn't DEB.. :)

I have mine, the only thing is I'm not sure what company it is. Q8 is about a group of transition years putting up a green house or something. Oh and it's in Irish.

Nah, that's different than mine. Damn, man, project maths in Irish. Well that would be fun..

Nah, that's different than mine. Damn, man, project maths in Irish. Well that would be fun..

Yea it's some craic all right :pac:

We get the English paper too but our answers must be written in Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Could an example of proof by contradiction be from paper 1? To prove a rational function has no turning points: differentiate, let f'(x)=0 and it gives a false statement... Or does it have to be from Paper 2?

If anyone knows the answer to this, I would also like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddyhes

Does anyone know if we have to do our answers in the grid spaces they provide us with?
    I never have enough space.
    Could you do the exam in a booklet like paper 1 and just hand it up with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

By the way, can anyone explain to me the given solution for 9A part (a), I've never had to use the 95% confidence interval in that way.?
    http://www.ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Post-Primary_Education/Project_Maths/Project_Maths_Pre-leaving_Exam_Papers_Feb_2010/P_Maths_LC_HL_Paper_2_with_solutions.pdf

It's used this way when working, once again, with the central limit theorem. The standard deviation is divided by the margin of error due to the fact that it is of such great numbers. It's unlikely to appear as it is apparently not on our course but it still could appear as an empirical rule type question where we use 2 instead of 1.96

paddyhes wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we have to do our answers in the grid spaces they provide us with?

Yea you can do it in a booklet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

paddyhes wrote: »

The superintendent won't give you one of the ordinary booklets, but you can ask for the smaller "extra paper" booklets (the 4 page ones). You really should start off in the booklet and just go on to extra paper if you run out of room.

If you don't do it in the booklet, you could easily end up skipping a part of a quesion by mistake. You won't do that if you're writing in the booklet, because you'll notice the gap.

Anyway, do you really want your work to be marked by someone who's p***ed off at you for making his or her life difficult?

Here's the ncca Project Maths Paper 2 for 2012: http://www.examinations.ie/schools/Project_Math_Phase_1_P2_Higher_Level.pdf

Damn just realised this is the one we already had. :(

Need some new material to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

Superbus wrote: »
    If anyone knows the answer to this, I would also like to know.
    It can be anything as long as it properly illustrates proof by contradiction! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

By the way, can anyone explain to me the given solution for 9A part (a), I've never had to use the 95% confidence interval in that way.?
    http://www.ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Post-Primary_Education/Project_Maths/Project_Maths_Pre-leaving_Exam_Papers_Feb_2010/P_Maths_LC_HL_Paper_2_with_solutions.pdf
    That's definitely not on our course, don't worry. :)

What constructions and definitions do we need to know?

Yea you can do it in a booklet.

Technically we're not allowed unless we run out of space, the project maths people actually said our marks may be forfeited if you don't answer in the provided space, but to be honest, I can't picture them doing that.

ChemHickey wrote: »
    It's used this way when working, once again, with the central limit theorem. The standard deviation is divided by the margin of error due to the fact that it is of such great numbers. It's unlikely to appear as it is apparently not on our course but it still could appear as an empirical rule type question where we use 2 instead of 1.96

could you explain why you multiply the standard deviation by margin of error. Even if it came up as empirical, empirical and central limit theorem would mean that if you took multiple samples of 40 and found the mean, the means' distribution would approximate a normal distribution. So is standard deviation of a sample mean multiplied by the percentage error (given number of members of the sample set) the standard deviation of the normal distribution created by charting various samples? lol i'm pretty confused
    EDIT: it's ok I found my answer at http://stattrek.com/estimation/confidence-interval-mean.aspx
    i just had never seen that formula at all, now i know thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 hamal

could you explain why you multiply the standard deviation by margin of error. Even if it came up as empirical, empirical and central limit theorem would mean that if you took multiple samples of 40 and found the mean, the means' distribution would approximate a normal distribution. So is standard deviation of a sample mean multiplied by the percentage error (given number of members of the sample set) the standard deviation of the normal distribution created by charting various samples? lol i'm pretty confused
    EDIT: it's ok I found my answer at http://stattrek.com/estimation/confidence-interval-mean.aspx

you my friend may aswell be speaking a different language

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I'm pretty sure the majority of that isn't on our course. We just need to know that when you split a population into lots of groups of size n, the standard deviation of each group is approximately equal to the standard deviation of the population divided by root n.

hamal wrote: »
    you my friend may aswell be speaking a different language
    haha sorry i have the hang of it now no worries!

anybody know where we can find solutions to our mocks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

It can be anything as long as it properly illustrates proof by contradiction! :)

Explanation:
    To prove something by contradiction, we assume that what we want to prove is not true and then we show that the consequences of this are not possible.

Example:

Prove by contradiction that there are no positive integer solutions to the equation x^2 - y^2 = 1

Assume the contradiction of this, i.e. there are positive integer solutions.

Proof:

x^2 - y^2 = 1
    (x-y)(x+y) = 1

(x-y) and (x+y) are both = -1
    OR
    (x-y) and (x+y) are both = +1

x - y = 1
    x + y = 1
    2x = 2
    x = 1
    y = 0

(1,0)

OR
    x - y = -1
    x + y = 1
    2x = -2
    x = -1
    y = 0

(-1,0)

Neither of these are solutions are both positive integers.

.'. contradicting our asumption that the are no positive integer solutions to x^2 - y^2 = 1

Hope it helps :)

Advertisement